Schenectady, NY - It was the last weekend of the regular season for most teams, with only Warwick Fast Times to look forward to on the Invitational side of the sport. Otherwise, it was all about the champioship meets, and Eddy served as a great place to pick up a qualifying seed or two. Check out some of the best races of the day.
MileSplit NY - We're on site here in Schenectady to bring you one of the last big Invites of the season, the Eddy Meet. We'll have all the updates for you live, and more to come after the meet ends. We've already had a great weekend, with two huge marks on Friday already (Rudy WInkler US #7 All-Time in Hammer with 253-5, and Mary Cain US #1 All-Time over 1500m with 4:04.62). Stay tuned for even more great marks, and be sure to check out our preview to know which races to wait for.
MileSplit - There should be a lot of fast times being thrown down this weekend, as many section find their championship season just beginning. However, one Invitational upstate is pulling some of the State's best into competition, and it looks to be a good one. Check out some of the highlights below, straight from the Eddy Games.
MileSplit HQ - It's National Signing Day, which means many of New York's senior tracksters, will put their powers to the pen, and sign a letter of intent for College. We'll be here with all the decisions, and be sure to send in your pictures. Didn't snap one? You can still tweet #milesplitsigning and you choice will appear below for all to see. We've also got a preliminary list below of some of the big names, which will be updated throughout the day. Check it out!
MIleSplit NY - With championship season on the horizon, the track fan in all of us is already putting together our hopes and wishes for the state meet. Fast times and great races are always a highlight at the conclusion of a years worth of training. This Tuesday, we give you our top ten picks of the races that could be. As always, all events are made up from the leaderboards, and in no way represent what athletes may or may not actually run at their State Qualifier. Also, they have to make it past their State Qualifier first, which is a bigger test for some rather than others. But still, here are our (hypothetical) picks.
A look back at the past weekend of competition.
MileSplit NY - Sometimes, miracles do happen. The rain held out for a majority of the weekend, and the meet ran well. Click the images below to check out all the highlights, but be sure to watch the video of the Invite Mile below, as it was one of the meets biggest highlights.
Coverage of the 47th annual Glenn D. Loucks Games in White Plains, New York
Level 1 School (via www.usatf.org)
MileSplit NY - Cross your fingers folks, as two things are predicted for this weekend. The first is that this may be one of the finest looking fields the Loucks Games has ever produced, and fast time are already being heralded on the online message boards. The other forecast? Rain, and lots of it. Hopefully, it holds out for all the action to get underway, but it may be time to break out the umbrellas. Regardless, we break down what we feel are some of the best races to watch over the three days of action.
2013-05-09 at White Plains HS in White Plains (via MileSplit)
10. Boys 3000m Steeplechase State Standard: 9:42.0/9:42.24 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 18 Comment - It would seem the longer the distance, the harder it is to qualify. Throw a couple of barriers in the way, and you have a standard not commonly hit, partly because not every facility can afford the water pit. 9 - Girls Shot Put State Standard: 38-03 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 17 Comment - This mark may not last as that hard to get, as we already have 8 people who have passed the mark in 2013. But it seems that the golden standard for shot is just out of reach for most, as lowering it an inch adds multitudes of talent. 8 - Boys 3200m State Standard: 9:20.5/9:20.74 Number of Qualifiers in 2012- 16 Comment - Averaging 4:40 miles, twice in a row seems to be a difficult task for the xc-heavy state of New York. With only 4 people in the last five years actually breaking 9-min (Thomas Awad did it via 2-mile conversion last year), the 3200m is a tough battle to face. 7 - Boys 4x100m State Standard: 42.8/43.04 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 15 Comment - One of the only sprint marks on our list, the 4x100m is one of the most techinical running events on the oval. With nearly a quarter of the race run in exchange zones, anything can happen on the handoff. 6 - Boys 1600m State Standard: 4:16.5/4:16.74 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 14 Comment - We had nine athletes under this mark indoors, and six already outdoors, indicating this number may be another that is getting more attention. 5 - Girls 4x400m State Standard: 3:56.6/3:56.84 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 13 Comment - Finding four girls on a team under 60secs is never easy, and only thirteen teams managed to accomplish it last year. The number of qualifiers may actually go down this year, as some of the top teams have yet to show their dominance has returned from last year. 4 - Girls 3000m State Standard: 10:03.0/10:03.24 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 13 Comment - A little slower when compared to the male equivalent standard (9:20 (B) is about 10flat (G)), but it seems to be more difficult to break. We've got seven under already, with only three coming from the Glavin, which was a field specifically set to break 10:00.00 3 - Boys 3200m State Standard: 9:20.5/9:20.74 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 13 Comment - 2 - Girls 2000m Steeplechase State Standard: 7:05.3/7:05.54 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 11 Comment - 1 - Girls 1500m State Standard: 4:36.9/4:37.14 Number of Qualifiers in 2012 - 11 Comment -
MileSplit NY - While the Glavin showcase brought about some of the top times in the 3200m and 3000m, (10 of the top 25 for boys), the Saint Anthony's Invitational was probably the most bang for your buck over the weekend. Check out the recap below.
MileSplit NY - It was a big weekend for Track and Field again, as warm temps brought scorching times to the track. We were on hand at the Somers Lions Club Invitational for all the action, then our coverage shifted to some night action up in Hilton, of Rochester. The big marks were not exclusive to these two meets, as the St. Anthony's Invite and the Colonie Relays brought about great times as well (more on these tomorrow).
MileSplit NY - The relays meets are over, and the championship season upon us. Check out below where your team may lie after the first few weeks of competition. Be prepared, these standings will change drastically, as individual performances start to shine through this weekend and next. NOTE: If your team does not show in the Division 1 or 2 Standings, and you feel it should OR your team has recently switched over, send us an email, and we'll add you in. Otherwise, enjoy the sun out there this weekend!
- Article Comment: Armory Gets New Mondo Super X Performance Track
- NYCHSAA Sectional Championships 2013
- Mary Cain 4:04.62
- Article Comment: Updated College Signing List with Pictures
- Fast Times Relays 2013
- BROOKLYN/QUEENS CHAMPS CHSAA
- NYCHSAA Sectional Championships 2013
- CHSAA Varsity Outdoor Intersectional City Championship 2013
- Section 9 MAHAL's
- Article Comment: Tuesday Top Ten Races To Anticipate at States
- Michael Borini to SUNY Geneseo
- Isabel Hirtelen-Booker to University of Pittsburgh
- Connor Farrell to University at Albany
- Steven Bomba to Stonehill College
- Ana Losada to University of Pennsylvania
- Mary-kate Bida to SUNY Oneonta
- Mike Baitsholts to SUNY Oneonta
- Eddie Cotton to SUNY Oneonta
- Hanna Cavanagh to SUNY Oneonta
- Luis Porto to St. Francis College