2021 boys
12/12/2020 7:45:56 PM
User
I know it's early to be talking outdoor track but do you think the Ga 1600 and 3200 records are in danger of falling this spring? I feel like the 3200 may be inevitable. 1600 would be tough. After losing their season last year I know these boys will be highly motivated. I expect Miller,Wachtel,Shelton,Truitt,and Jones to do big things.
I know it's early to be talking outdoor track but do you think the Ga 1600 and 3200 records are in danger of falling this spring? I feel like the 3200 may be inevitable. 1600 would be tough. After losing their season last year I know these boys will be highly motivated. I expect Miller,Wachtel,Shelton,Truitt,and Jones to do big things.
12/12/2020 10:27:33 PM
Coach
@Rw1970 Agreed. I hate that Graham Blanks from Athens Academy (now at Harvard) didn't get a shot at this during his senior year of Track! (2020). Could be a fun year for the top distance boys!
@Rw1970
Agreed. I hate that Graham Blanks from Athens Academy (now at Harvard) didn't get a shot at this during his senior year of Track! (2020). Could be a fun year for the top distance boys!
12/17/2020 5:58:41 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHoughton And how fast would Myles Collins have run? He was set up to run Arcadia where everyone runs sub 9:00. Low 4:00s and 8:40s seemed realistic for him.
@CoachHoughton And how fast would Myles Collins have run? He was set up to run Arcadia where everyone runs sub 9:00. Low 4:00s and 8:40s seemed realistic for him.
12/17/2020 7:35:03 PM
Coach
@Sgriff2861 Absolutely. I was lucky to see Collins run the 4:08 in early March last year. We lost the opportunity to see some incredible Seniors tear it up on the track in May.
@Sgriff2861
Absolutely. I was lucky to see Collins run the 4:08 in early March last year. We lost the opportunity to see some incredible Seniors tear it up on the track in May.
12/17/2020 7:53:24 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I think the combo of last year's senior boys and this year's senior boys is by far the fastest and deepest boys group this state has ever seen. It's such a shame we didn't get to see what sort of times were coming last spring with both of them on the track together. Meet of champions could have been an epic 3200 and re-written the record books. But as for the original question, there's no doubt the talent is there. But that doesn't always mean the race will come. I'll be shocked if we don't see at least two sub 9's and that means there's a very good chance the record goes down, but it's not a certainty. Arcadia is now the same weekend as sectionals so that's not an option. Likely meet of champions will be the best 3200 of the year and with the proper pacing, we could see 3-5 boys get on the all time list and maybe even 1-2 sub 8:50's. The 1600 is harder to figure. 4:03 is a tough mark to beat. Most people don't realize just how hard it is to make the jump from 4:10 to sub 4:05. The talent might be there, but in this case especially they need the race to be right too. Good luck to you senior boys this spring! I would love to see both records go down!
I think the combo of last year's senior boys and this year's senior boys is by far the fastest and deepest boys group this state has ever seen. It's such a shame we didn't get to see what sort of times were coming last spring with both of them on the track together. Meet of champions could have been an epic 3200 and re-written the record books.

But as for the original question, there's no doubt the talent is there. But that doesn't always mean the race will come. I'll be shocked if we don't see at least two sub 9's and that means there's a very good chance the record goes down, but it's not a certainty. Arcadia is now the same weekend as sectionals so that's not an option. Likely meet of champions will be the best 3200 of the year and with the proper pacing, we could see 3-5 boys get on the all time list and maybe even 1-2 sub 8:50's.

The 1600 is harder to figure. 4:03 is a tough mark to beat. Most people don't realize just how hard it is to make the jump from 4:10 to sub 4:05. The talent might be there, but in this case especially they need the race to be right too.

Good luck to you senior boys this spring! I would love to see both records go down!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.