State Meet Considerations
10/21/2020 1:30:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Is there anything in the works for the State meet with regards to the # of teams racing at one time? With 32 teams on the start line with individuals added in, this is the biggest actual race most teams will have raced. I am not trying to start anything up about COVID, but it has been a factor all year for meet officials. It will be a very different experience than we have had this year.
Is there anything in the works for the State meet with regards to the # of teams racing at one time? With 32 teams on the start line with individuals added in, this is the biggest actual race most teams will have raced. I am not trying to start anything up about COVID, but it has been a factor all year for meet officials. It will be a very different experience than we have had this year.
10/21/2020 1:50:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BlackJack31 The Asics championship boys race had 29 teams with 228 runners, the girls race had 32 teams with 241 runners. State will have a max of 32 teams and 224 runners. Pretty similar size, there was no issue at Asics so there should be no issue at state.
@BlackJack31

The Asics championship boys race had 29 teams with 228 runners, the girls race had 32 teams with 241 runners. State will have a max of 32 teams and 224 runners. Pretty similar size, there was no issue at Asics so there should be no issue at state.
10/21/2020 1:54:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dacostaa Guess I should look at the results. We were in those races. Would you say the courses are about the same for starting area and width throughout the course?
@dacostaa
Guess I should look at the results. We were in those races. Would you say the courses are about the same for starting area and width throughout the course?
10/21/2020 2:08:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BlackJack31 I can promise all of you that Coach Musselwhite and myself are brainstorming and implementing all the necessary steps to provide a COVID-19 proof as possible for the all of the races over the two days. When we hosted the Orthopaedic, we tried to be proactive as possible then as a dry run for the State. COVID-19 has put an enormous strain on all meet directors to adhere to. We have made considerations for the start, the finish, and the awards. As far as starting area, it adheres to all the existing guidelines. Whether or not there are 16 or 24 or 32 is a GHSA qualifying process question. I will love to interject that question for discussion. We had a 24 team selection for 7A with area but that has disappeared. Several years ago, we had the sectional process for 24 teams and that has disappeared. We have a created a process that works well for track. We can certainly create a new sectional process that get the State Championship XC races to a very competitive race of 16 teams?
@BlackJack31 I can promise all of you that Coach Musselwhite and myself are brainstorming and implementing all the necessary steps to provide a COVID-19 proof as possible for the all of the races over the two days. When we hosted the Orthopaedic, we tried to be proactive as possible then as a dry run for the State. COVID-19 has put an enormous strain on all meet directors to adhere to. We have made considerations for the start, the finish, and the awards. As far as starting area, it adheres to all the existing guidelines.

Whether or not there are 16 or 24 or 32 is a GHSA qualifying process question. I will love to interject that question for discussion. We had a 24 team selection for 7A with area but that has disappeared. Several years ago, we had the sectional process for 24 teams and that has disappeared. We have a created a process that works well for track. We can certainly create a new sectional process that get the State Championship XC races to a very competitive race of 16 teams?
10/21/2020 2:25:10 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Sorrells28 Yes, Sectionals for XC might be the next thing to pursue, for sure. This isn't about the course, but I did reach out to the GHSA about a week ago about possibly extending the deadline for the 12 runner roster, or expanding it past 12 runners due to possible quarantine situations, after getting a couple of emails from concerned coaches. I was told that they did not see any changes to the procedures happening.
@Sorrells28

Yes, Sectionals for XC might be the next thing to pursue, for sure.

This isn't about the course, but I did reach out to the GHSA about a week ago about possibly extending the deadline for the 12 runner roster, or expanding it past 12 runners due to possible quarantine situations, after getting a couple of emails from concerned coaches. I was told that they did not see any changes to the procedures happening.
10/21/2020 3:22:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac This is great thinking, Andy. Perhaps we should all be reaching out to our ADs to petition the GHSA on this.
@coachac This is great thinking, Andy. Perhaps we should all be reaching out to our ADs to petition the GHSA on this.
10/21/2020 5:43:21 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
There is a lot more open space for teams & spectators to spread out at the Asics venue. So, while the field-size was similar, every venue and meet has its own unique challenges. Coach Sorrells & Coach Musselwhite are going to do a great job (as always!) taking care of the kids, coaches, volunteers & spectators. But, as Coach Sorrells said, any format changes would have to be GHSA-approved. The GHSA may be open to discussing options, as there were some made in softball this year to minimize the number of teams and length of overnights(same number of teams qualifying but fewer teams actually travelling to Columbus, as I understand it).
There is a lot more open space for teams & spectators to spread out at the Asics venue. So, while the field-size was similar, every venue and meet has its own unique challenges. Coach Sorrells & Coach Musselwhite are going to do a great job (as always!) taking care of the kids, coaches, volunteers & spectators. But, as Coach Sorrells said, any format changes would have to be GHSA-approved. The GHSA may be open to discussing options, as there were some made in softball this year to minimize the number of teams and length of overnights(same number of teams qualifying but fewer teams actually travelling to Columbus, as I understand it).
10/21/2020 7:18:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac or anyone, Any idea the reasoning or origin as to why we need need to declare our final roster of 12 runners several weeks out? Do any other GHSA sports do this?
@coachac or anyone, Any idea the reasoning or origin as to why we need need to declare our final roster of 12 runners several weeks out?
Do any other GHSA sports do this?
10/21/2020 8:49:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
One could argue that having Jv at asics led to an even bigger environment. I have confidence that the state meet this year will provide a relatively safe environment for the teams if more groups utilize the lower field and field near the playground at Carrollton.
One could argue that having Jv at asics led to an even bigger environment. I have confidence that the state meet this year will provide a relatively safe environment for the teams if more groups utilize the lower field and field near the playground at Carrollton.
10/22/2020 2:39:36 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
One suggestion I have is to move the flagging back on both sides at least 8 feet back from the 'white' course lines the final 50 meters or so before the finish line. There really is not much Carrollton can do to enforce social distancing at State. At the MS State Championships, Bleckley County did their part, having plenty of signage out about COVD-19, and the fans just ignored it. [img][url=https://ga.milesplit.com/videos/450640]https://ga.milesplit.com/videos/450640[/url][/img]
One suggestion I have is to move the flagging back on both sides at least 8 feet back from the 'white' course lines the final 50 meters or so before the finish line. There really is not much Carrollton can do to enforce social distancing at State. At the MS State Championships, Bleckley County did their part, having plenty of signage out about COVD-19, and the fans just ignored it.

https://ga.milesplit.com/videos/450640" style="max-width: 100%" />
10/22/2020 8:18:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER You bring up a good point about open spaces. Is there any plan to limit spectators or tell teams to only bring their top 12? Some meets I have attended limited spectator numbers per athlete. I don't want to crush the spirit of the meet, but people came on here and complained about the Ortho meet and spectator behavior. I felt it was an excellent meet. This will be a much bigger meet with many more people in attendance that will not racing.
@GACARTER
You bring up a good point about open spaces. Is there any plan to limit spectators or tell teams to only bring their top 12? Some meets I have attended limited spectator numbers per athlete. I don't want to crush the spirit of the meet, but people came on here and complained about the Ortho meet and spectator behavior. I felt it was an excellent meet. This will be a much bigger meet with many more people in attendance that will not racing.
10/22/2020 10:33:54 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The 12 person roster for XC might be something that the Coaches Association wants to look into (I'm no longer on the board but will mention it to Coach Gambrell and Coach Parsons). I'm not sure why we have it, when we've already submitted our final roster for eligibility. And seems like it could easily be expanded to more runners, if they still want to have us turn in a roster. Here is what Alabama is doing at State: [url=https://al.milesplit.com/articles/287872-passed-championship-format-for-2020-state-xc][url=https://al.milesplit.com/articles/287872-passed-championship-format-for-2020-state-xc]https://al.milesplit.com/articles/287872-passed-championship-format-for-2020-state-xc[/url][/url]
The 12 person roster for XC might be something that the Coaches Association wants to look into (I'm no longer on the board but will mention it to Coach Gambrell and Coach Parsons). I'm not sure why we have it, when we've already submitted our final roster for eligibility. And seems like it could easily be expanded to more runners, if they still want to have us turn in a roster.

Here is what Alabama is doing at State:
10/22/2020 10:39:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac I like the two points made about parents/spectators: "Upon arrival at the state meet, parents will stay in their respective cars until 15 minutes prior to their child's race. A schedule with times and instructions will be handed to each car when paying for parking." "Fans return to their cars after their child's race is complete." I like for this year having designated, and marked, spectator areas instead of them being all over the course. I know there are high traffic areas traditionally at Carrollton, but it could help if they are only allowed in certain areas.
@coachac

I like the two points made about parents/spectators:
"Upon arrival at the state meet, parents will stay in their respective cars until 15 minutes prior to their child's race. A schedule with times and instructions will be handed to each car when paying for parking."
"Fans return to their cars after their child's race is complete."

I like for this year having designated, and marked, spectator areas instead of them being all over the course. I know there are high traffic areas traditionally at Carrollton, but it could help if they are only allowed in certain areas.
10/22/2020 11:04:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I could be in the minority, but I think we should do what is best for the kids. I have full confidence in Jimmy and Craig. Let them run the meet. They will do what it best for the kids. We have had a whole season and we were able to have big meets. Starrs Mill, Ortho, Warpath, Asics, Coach Wood, Middle School State all were big meets. We got through them. Let the kids have their day.
I could be in the minority, but I think we should do what is best for the kids. I have full confidence in Jimmy and Craig. Let them run the meet. They will do what it best for the kids. We have had a whole season and we were able to have big meets. Starrs Mill, Ortho, Warpath, Asics, Coach Wood, Middle School State all were big meets. We got through them. Let the kids have their day.
10/22/2020 11:21:12 AM
Coach
@brxctf2001 Agreed. I think they'll do a fine job. We've had plenty of big meets so far. Not sure how possible it is to control spectator behavior anyway. Can we reasonably expect that most people will wait in their cars until right before then leave right after? It's up to the coaches to wrap up and get their teams out after the race. And once State is over, our season is completed, so if people are upset, it's not like the sport will get shut down...
@brxctf2001

Agreed. I think they'll do a fine job. We've had plenty of big meets so far. Not sure how possible it is to control spectator behavior anyway.

Can we reasonably expect that most people will wait in their cars until right before then leave right after? It's up to the coaches to wrap up and get their teams out after the race.

And once State is over, our season is completed, so if people are upset, it's not like the sport will get shut down...
10/22/2020 2:34:33 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@BlackJack31 My only concern was with the image we put out there watching the Carrollton video. And that concern has basically faded away now that it's late October and we haven't really had any issues or complaints that I'm aware of. So I guess we're doing a good enough job in most people's eyes? I'm kind of with brxctf2001 and RidgeXC on this one. But mostly because I'm mentally exhausted after all of the extra planning that's gone into this season (and I'm sure all of you are too!). I kind of want the state meet to be as simple as possible. I'll trust Craig and Jimmy to do what's best for their venue as they always put on a top notch meet. And I'll follow all of their rules. I just kind of hope it's a short list because I'm tired.
@BlackJack31

My only concern was with the image we put out there watching the Carrollton video. And that concern has basically faded away now that it's late October and we haven't really had any issues or complaints that I'm aware of. So I guess we're doing a good enough job in most people's eyes?

I'm kind of with brxctf2001 and RidgeXC on this one. But mostly because I'm mentally exhausted after all of the extra planning that's gone into this season (and I'm sure all of you are too!). I kind of want the state meet to be as simple as possible. I'll trust Craig and Jimmy to do what's best for their venue as they always put on a top notch meet. And I'll follow all of their rules. I just kind of hope it's a short list because I'm tired.
10/22/2020 5:22:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm the mental exhaustion is real! I feel like this has been the longest season we have ever had somehow...
@spxcoachrm the mental exhaustion is real! I feel like this has been the longest season we have ever had somehow...
11/03/2020 2:37:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From the e-mail today: Coaches, Below are a few changes to the 2020 State Cross Country Meet that have been brought about by the COVID-19 Guidelines. Coaches, we need your help more than ever this year by helping your athletes, parents and spectators recognize and adhere to the changes meet management has put in place. We hope to be back to our traditional plans in 2021. COVID-19 FORMS * Coaches - please properly screen your athletes before race time. * Verify your athletes are symptom free and have been symptom free for the previous 14 days. * Coaches - sign waiver and return to GREEN TENT 30 minutes prior to race. STARTING LINE * Coaches - please be with your team during check-in this year - NO PARENTS * EVEN number starting block assignments report 30 minutes before race for check in. Coaches - once your team has checked in, please move your team away from the starting line into the open field area. Use social distancing and continue warming up. * ODD number starting block assignments report to starting line 20 minutes before race time to check in. Coaches - once your team has checked in, please move your team away from the starting line into the open field area. Use social distancing and continue warming up. * 5 minutes before the start of race the STARTER will signal teams to move back to the RED LINE at your starting block. * Starter will give quick directions. All athletes walk up to WHITE starting line. * Starter fires gun. AWARDS * Top 10 individual runners in each race will receive their medals in the finish chute. Meet Announcer will announce top 10 finishers over PA once race is over and results are tabulated and official. * Coaches of TOP 4 finishing teams in each classification will pick up team trophies and team medals outside the baseball field. State Championships Teams will receive T shirts. Team trophies and medals will be ready to be picked up after each girls classification race is over and all results are tabulated and official. * Coach Johnson will be in charge of handing out team awards and will direct coaches where they can go to have their team awards, pictures and team celebration.
From the e-mail today:

Coaches,
Below are a few changes to the 2020 State Cross Country Meet that have been brought about by the COVID-19 Guidelines. Coaches, we need your help more than ever this year by helping your athletes, parents and spectators recognize and adhere to the changes meet management has put in place. We hope to be back to our traditional plans in 2021.

COVID-19 FORMS
* Coaches - please properly screen your athletes before race time.

* Verify your athletes are symptom free and have been symptom free for the previous 14 days.

* Coaches - sign waiver and return to GREEN TENT 30 minutes prior to race.

STARTING LINE
* Coaches - please be with your team during check-in this year - NO PARENTS

* EVEN number starting block assignments report 30 minutes before race for check in. Coaches - once your team has checked in, please move your team away from the starting line into the open field area. Use social distancing and continue warming up.

* ODD number starting block assignments report to starting line 20 minutes before race time to check in. Coaches - once your team has checked in, please move your team away from the starting line into the open field area. Use social distancing and continue warming up.

* 5 minutes before the start of race the STARTER will signal teams to move back to the RED LINE at your starting block.

* Starter will give quick directions. All athletes walk up to WHITE starting line.

* Starter fires gun.

AWARDS
* Top 10 individual runners in each race will receive their medals in the finish chute. Meet Announcer will announce top 10 finishers over PA once race is over and results are tabulated and official.

* Coaches of TOP 4 finishing teams in each classification will pick up team trophies and team medals outside the baseball field. State Championships Teams will receive T shirts. Team trophies and medals will be ready to be picked up after each girls classification race is over and all results are tabulated and official.

* Coach Johnson will be in charge of handing out team awards and will direct coaches where they can go to have their team awards, pictures and team celebration.
11/03/2020 3:30:50 PM
Power User
@RobtheAggie Is this for real? I have a suggestion, turn the awards area 180 and mark off 8 large boxes for the top 4 teams in each class in the outfield of the the stadium. We have got to figure this out, handing medals out in the chute is crazy, especially to the State Champion. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that we get to have the state meet but I feel like their is enough information about the virus now that we can figure a way to do this safely, am I wrong? I really would love to hear other opinions on this.
@RobtheAggie

Is this for real? I have a suggestion, turn the awards area 180 and mark off 8 large boxes for the top 4 teams in each class in the outfield of the the stadium. We have got to figure this out, handing medals out in the chute is crazy, especially to the State Champion. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that we get to have the state meet but I feel like their is enough information about the virus now that we can figure a way to do this safely, am I wrong? I really would love to hear other opinions on this.
11/03/2020 3:59:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@8MileGoat That was the e-mail we received.
@8MileGoat

That was the e-mail we received.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.