Marist Tri meet - hopefully a new tradition?
09/13/2020 6:47:01 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Since everybody is giving kudos, I'll do the same. Thanks to Marist for hosting us. It was weird having the kids setup and warm up away from the field and spectators. It was weird only having parents come to watch. It was difficult to tell parents to stay in their cars until 30 minutes before their kids race and then leave soon after. It was so hard not to run and give our kids who had a big day a huge hug after an amazing race. My mask smelled very different at the end of the meet than it did at the beginning which is gross. This is a hard year and I hope our efforts are not overkill yet are good enough to make sure these kids finish the season. But. OH MY GOODNESS WAS IT FUN!!! I know we'd talked about a few years ago doing a small meet like this instead of an invitational, but I could never really get anybody to agree with me on how to do it. This is exactly what I had in mind and I'm so happy that we were able to turn these awful circumstances into something so positive. I definitely want to keep this meet on the schedule every year moving forward and I encourage many of you to ditch one of your invitationals in favor of something like this. Of course the weather helped as our JV ran in the afternoon and the Varsity in the evening so kids could take the ACT. And not doing the double dip hills definitely helped times, which always makes it fun when enough kids run PR's. But the big thing that made it fun was that every race was a battle! I am convinced that we had JV kids running so much faster than usual because they were actually competing for the win, or fighting to score for their team when they're used to getting lost in the pack. You can't tell from the results since all 3 5k races are merged into just one, but that's exactly what happened. And the kids loved it. They were so much happier finishing 10th than 200th, whether the time showed it or not. Thanks for hosting Marist, and thanks for racing Holy Innocents. I'm really looking forward to doing this again next week and hopefully once a year moving forward!
Since everybody is giving kudos, I'll do the same. Thanks to Marist for hosting us. It was weird having the kids setup and warm up away from the field and spectators. It was weird only having parents come to watch. It was difficult to tell parents to stay in their cars until 30 minutes before their kids race and then leave soon after. It was so hard not to run and give our kids who had a big day a huge hug after an amazing race. My mask smelled very different at the end of the meet than it did at the beginning which is gross. This is a hard year and I hope our efforts are not overkill yet are good enough to make sure these kids finish the season.

But. OH MY GOODNESS WAS IT FUN!!! I know we'd talked about a few years ago doing a small meet like this instead of an invitational, but I could never really get anybody to agree with me on how to do it. This is exactly what I had in mind and I'm so happy that we were able to turn these awful circumstances into something so positive. I definitely want to keep this meet on the schedule every year moving forward and I encourage many of you to ditch one of your invitationals in favor of something like this.

Of course the weather helped as our JV ran in the afternoon and the Varsity in the evening so kids could take the ACT. And not doing the double dip hills definitely helped times, which always makes it fun when enough kids run PR's. But the big thing that made it fun was that every race was a battle! I am convinced that we had JV kids running so much faster than usual because they were actually competing for the win, or fighting to score for their team when they're used to getting lost in the pack. You can't tell from the results since all 3 5k races are merged into just one, but that's exactly what happened. And the kids loved it. They were so much happier finishing 10th than 200th, whether the time showed it or not.

Thanks for hosting Marist, and thanks for racing Holy Innocents. I'm really looking forward to doing this again next week and hopefully once a year moving forward!
09/13/2020 6:02:50 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It really is what real cross country is all about. I've always been jealous of the states up north that do the grade races. Freshmen, Sophomore, etc. It is a great experience for athletes to compete against other runners of like ability or age. If the weather weren't so hot and having races drag out all day wasn't really feasible due to temperature down here, it would be a natural to have more races, versus fewer giant field races at our big invites. Racing in smaller fields is a COMPLETELY different experience than just getting swallowed up in the herd. Sometimes you get caught out in no man's land. You can actually discern where you stand in the team competition and athletes participate in smaller battles against runners from other teams. More young athletes get the opportunity to have the courage to take a lead and run for the win. High school cross country should have rivalries just like other sports. Marist vs St. Pius sounds like a battle that should happen annually for the next 100 years. Have a winner's cup that the year's team champions gets to take back to campus.
It really is what real cross country is all about. I've always been jealous of the states up north that do the grade races. Freshmen, Sophomore, etc. It is a great experience for athletes to compete against other runners of like ability or age. If the weather weren't so hot and having races drag out all day wasn't really feasible due to temperature down here, it would be a natural to have more races, versus fewer giant field races at our big invites. Racing in smaller fields is a COMPLETELY different experience than just getting swallowed up in the herd. Sometimes you get caught out in no man's land. You can actually discern where you stand in the team competition and athletes participate in smaller battles against runners from other teams. More young athletes get the opportunity to have the courage to take a lead and run for the win. High school cross country should have rivalries just like other sports. Marist vs St. Pius sounds like a battle that should happen annually for the next 100 years. Have a winner's cup that the year's team champions gets to take back to campus.
09/13/2020 11:05:18 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
1000% AGREE! We hosted Johns Creek Saturday morning and had a BLAST! We ran 5 races to keep things small and awarded a small trophy to the overall winning team with the lowest combined scores from all 5 races, medals in the chute, bagged and handed by a gloved & masked parent volunteer. Start-Finsh area was cleared of all spectators (but could watch from a fence overlooking the entire start-finish area. We allowed spectators on our course and gave them restrictions (social-distancing and masking requirements if on school property) and for the most part it worked fine. I have not heard of any outbreaks or super-spread events from XC meets, has anyone? Love the dual meet style, atmosphere and competition.
1000% AGREE! We hosted Johns Creek Saturday morning and had a BLAST! We ran 5 races to keep things small and awarded a small trophy to the overall winning team with the lowest combined scores from all 5 races, medals in the chute, bagged and handed by a gloved & masked parent volunteer. Start-Finsh area was cleared of all spectators (but could watch from a fence overlooking the entire start-finish area. We allowed spectators on our course and gave them restrictions (social-distancing and masking requirements if on school property) and for the most part it worked fine. I have not heard of any outbreaks or super-spread events from XC meets, has anyone? Love the dual meet style, atmosphere and competition.
09/14/2020 1:05:21 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Both meets must have been very unique to be part of as a runner, coach, or fan. It looks like the Marist boys and girls are back in the conversation for the 4A title. Bruce Taylor Editor MileSplit Georgia
Both meets must have been very unique to be part of as a runner, coach, or fan. It looks like the Marist boys and girls are back in the conversation for the 4A title.

Bruce Taylor Editor MileSplit Georgia
09/18/2020 10:02:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From the Private A side of things- OLM is hosting AIS and Galloway in a Tri Meet on 9/19 with no spectators. 42 runners, 2 races, 0 spectators. We are looking forward to it! Coaches will be able to focus on their runners, we won't have to fight a crowd, the noise, or conquer parking. Excited talking about it! Planning more like this!
From the Private A side of things- OLM is hosting AIS and Galloway in a Tri Meet on 9/19 with no spectators. 42 runners, 2 races, 0 spectators. We are looking forward to it! Coaches will be able to focus on their runners, we won't have to fight a crowd, the noise, or conquer parking. Excited talking about it! Planning more like this!
09/20/2020 1:58:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dbeatty old school stuff. OLM was a terrific host and it was as safe as they could make it. The return of the dual and tri meet is a positive development in this tough year. There is room for both the mega meet and the head to head match up. Perhaps some match ups of traditional rivals will also generate some needed publicity for our sport from the big media which don’t cover or understand our sport.
@dbeatty old school stuff. OLM was a terrific host and it was as safe as they could make it. The return of the dual and tri meet is a positive development in this tough year. There is room for both the mega meet and the head to head match up. Perhaps some match ups of traditional rivals will also generate some needed publicity for our sport from the big media which don't cover or understand our sport.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.