Statewide School Start Date Mandate
11/06/2018 10:36:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As the proposal to mandate school start to after Labor Day gains traction across the state how do you think this will affect GHSA Fall Sports, in particular XC in regards to it's season? Season length? Championship Dates? Number of meets? Lots of unknowns...
As the proposal to mandate school start to after Labor Day gains traction across the state how do you think this will affect GHSA Fall Sports, in particular XC in regards to it's season?

Season length?
Championship Dates?
Number of meets?

Lots of unknowns...
11/07/2018 5:13:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I grew up in a state where school started after Labor Day. Fall sports practices still started in early Aug. The first competition day was the week before school began, so last week of August.
I grew up in a state where school started after Labor Day. Fall sports practices still started in early Aug. The first competition day was the week before school began, so last week of August.
11/07/2018 5:45:28 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I like it, and have never saw the logic in beginning classes the first week of August. Come on Man' its still Summer! This should definitely push the State Meet back a week or 2, which would may be a good thing for many reasons. Cooler weather, generating faster times, much less time in between Foot Locker South and NXN Regionals, and less brutally hot conditions that teams have to compete in from mid August to September. Just my take..
I like it, and have never saw the logic in beginning classes the first week of August. Come on Man' its still Summer! This should definitely push the State Meet back a week or 2, which would may be a good thing for many reasons. Cooler weather, generating faster times, much less time in between Foot Locker South and NXN Regionals, and less brutally hot conditions that teams have to compete in from mid August to September. Just my take..
11/07/2018 8:06:43 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It would be wonderful for XC if this happened, and probably track too. I doubt it would push the state XC meet back more than a week, but maybe. I do think the state track meet would get pushed back a couple of weeks though, and our season would start in early-mid February instead of mid January. This would be great for track. For XC it would be great because it would mean that we could do morning practices all of August
It would be wonderful for XC if this happened, and probably track too. I doubt it would push the state XC meet back more than a week, but maybe. I do think the state track meet would get pushed back a couple of weeks though, and our season would start in early-mid February instead of mid January. This would be great for track. For XC it would be great because it would mean that we could do morning practices all of August
11/07/2018 8:17:39 AM
Coach
Hard pass and it has nothing to do with any sport. To still get the 180 mandated school days we go back to 3 days Thanksgiving break, 5 days Christmas break, no fall break, and no in-service days? Unless the other option is to push the last day of school into June sometime?
Hard pass and it has nothing to do with any sport. To still get the 180 mandated school days we go back to 3 days Thanksgiving break, 5 days Christmas break, no fall break, and no in-service days? Unless the other option is to push the last day of school into June sometime?
11/07/2018 8:27:43 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Uncle_Elvis Yes, that is what they do up North, the end school the 2nd week of June. They still get 2 weeks for Christmas, but they take their 1st semester final exams in January which would be a little weird at first. I personally hate having a full week for thanksgiving, I would gladly go back to a 3 day thanksgiving break and no fall break. As an XC coach I love the idea of starting after labor day. As an AP teacher I hate it.
@Uncle_Elvis

Yes, that is what they do up North, the end school the 2nd week of June. They still get 2 weeks for Christmas, but they take their 1st semester final exams in January which would be a little weird at first. I personally hate having a full week for thanksgiving, I would gladly go back to a 3 day thanksgiving break and no fall break.

As an XC coach I love the idea of starting after labor day. As an AP teacher I hate it.
11/07/2018 9:30:24 AM
Coach
@spxcoachrm As best I recall that was the same schedule most GA schools (Labor Day to Memorial Day?) had a hundred years ago when I was a student as well. I am certain there are studies that support both schedules but I feel like my students perform better with the additional breaks. Personally though, I completely agree with you about Thanksgiving and fall break.
@spxcoachrm

As best I recall that was the same schedule most GA schools (Labor Day to Memorial Day?) had a hundred years ago when I was a student as well. I am certain there are studies that support both schedules but I feel like my students perform better with the additional breaks. Personally though, I completely agree with you about Thanksgiving and fall break.
11/07/2018 9:38:49 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
As an educator, the early start date with numerous breaks has been very beneficial for my students and for myself as a teacher. Students get breaks from learning, which much like recovery days in running are needed. Ending finals before the Christmas break are a major bonus, hated coming back to finals when I was in high school. The county saves a ton of $ on subs by having a few week breaks for teachers to make doctors appointments, dentist appointments, etc. Students still get the entire months of June and July off, plenty of time for jobs and travel and vacation.
As an educator, the early start date with numerous breaks has been very beneficial for my students and for myself as a teacher. Students get breaks from learning, which much like recovery days in running are needed. Ending finals before the Christmas break are a major bonus, hated coming back to finals when I was in high school. The county saves a ton of $ on subs by having a few week breaks for teachers to make doctors appointments, dentist appointments, etc. Students still get the entire months of June and July off, plenty of time for jobs and travel and vacation.
11/07/2018 10:37:47 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=tlgcc1]As an educator, the early start date with numerous breaks has been very beneficial for my students and for myself as a teacher. Students get breaks from learning, which much like recovery days in running are needed. Ending finals before the Christmas break are a major bonus, hated coming back to finals when I was in high school. The county saves a ton of $ on subs by having a few week breaks for teachers to make doctors appointments, dentist appointments, etc. Students still get the entire months of June and July off, plenty of time for jobs and travel and vacation. [/quote] Co-sign this entire post. Also adding that the earlier start gives us extra time to prepare for the AP exams that have a standardized date.
lgcc1 wrote:

Co-sign this entire post. Also adding that the earlier start gives us extra time to prepare for the AP exams that have a standardized date.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.