7th & 8th grade
09/10/2018 12:08:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Will 7th and 8th graders be allowed to run in the varsity race?
Will 7th and 8th graders be allowed to run in the varsity race?
09/10/2018 2:09:55 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@ojendyk 7th and 8th graders are not allowed to run in Varsity races that a GHSA school hosts.
@ojendyk 7th and 8th graders are not allowed to run in Varsity races that a GHSA school hosts.
09/10/2018 2:46:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What is the reasoning behind this in a non contact sport?
What is the reasoning behind this in a non contact sport?
09/10/2018 3:11:08 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@ojendyk ask the GHSA..there are plenty of middle school meets to run in.
@ojendyk ask the GHSA..there are plenty of middle school meets to run in.
09/10/2018 10:19:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There might be meets but I have a few runners who don’t need just a meet but they want competition that is on their level. They have varsity abilities not JV or JR high.
There might be meets but I have a few runners who don't need just a meet but they want competition that is on their level. They have varsity abilities not JV or JR high.
09/11/2018 9:53:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand your concern, but if you try to, or are successful at racing an 8th grader in a Varsity meet, or a 7th grader in a JV meet, you could jeopardize their eligibility as well as that of the team. GHSA has the rule, you can question them, but to my knowledge and I have not been involved as long as others, MS runners have not been able to run in Varsity meets.
I understand your concern, but if you try to, or are successful at racing an 8th grader in a Varsity meet, or a 7th grader in a JV meet, you could jeopardize their eligibility as well as that of the team. GHSA has the rule, you can question them, but to my knowledge and I have not been involved as long as others, MS runners have not been able to run in Varsity meets.
09/11/2018 9:54:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=gawebmaster]@ojendyk 7th and 8th graders are not allowed to run in Varsity races that a GHSA school hosts.[/quote] Not only that, but according to the GHSA from what I understand, if a GHSA schools runs in a GISA meet, they still can not run 8th graders in the Varsity race.
gawebmaster wrote:

Not only that, but according to the GHSA from what I understand, if a GHSA schools runs in a GISA meet, they still can not run 8th graders in the Varsity race.
09/11/2018 10:32:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We are an Alabama school. But it just doesn’t make sense to me. I was trying to get to the why of the rule more than anything.
We are an Alabama school. But it just doesn't make sense to me. I was trying to get to the why of the rule more than anything.
09/11/2018 10:49:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=ojendyk]We are an Alabama school. But it just doesn’t make sense to me. I was trying to get to the why of the rule more than anything. [/quote] Alabama is actually the exception here. From what I can find, the only states that fully allow middle school students to compete on HS Varsity teams are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Kentucky, Mississippi and North Dakota. There are other states that allow certain small classifications to do it. And others like Georgia that allow you to compete on HS JV but not varsity. As for the why, I can only guess what the GHSA's thought process is. Two potentials come to mind. 1.If you don't attend the HS, you shouldn't be competing for that HS's varsity. 2.Safety concerns for contact sports like you mentioned and rather than have exceptions, it's just a blanket rule.
jendyk wrote:
We are an Alabama school. But it just doesn't make sense to me. I was trying to get to the why of the rule more than anything.

Alabama is actually the exception here. From what I can find, the only states that fully allow middle school students to compete on HS Varsity teams are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Kentucky, Mississippi and North Dakota.

There are other states that allow certain small classifications to do it. And others like Georgia that allow you to compete on HS JV but not varsity.

As for the why, I can only guess what the GHSA's thought process is. Two potentials come to mind.
1.If you don't attend the HS, you shouldn't be competing for that HS's varsity.
2.Safety concerns for contact sports like you mentioned and rather than have exceptions, it's just a blanket rule.
09/11/2018 11:02:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I grew up in NY, and I know that to play Varsity sports in NY as an 8th grader a physiological exam by the school psychologist was needed. Tennis and Golf were the only two that could be done. This was back in the 1990s.
I grew up in NY, and I know that to play Varsity sports in NY as an 8th grader a physiological exam by the school psychologist was needed. Tennis and Golf were the only two that could be done. This was back in the 1990s.
09/11/2018 11:28:13 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@TFCoach16 I think both Minnesota and New York allow middle school kids too. I think it's just 8th grade in New York, but I'm pretty sure 7th graders can run Varsity in Minnesota - hence Grace Ping winning the Roy Griak Invitational and qualifying for NXN when she was in 7th grade. Nike allows middle school kids to run only if their state allows it. and now that I think about it, I think I've seen Florida have 8th grade kids running varsity too, but I'm not 100% on that.
@TFCoach16

I think both Minnesota and New York allow middle school kids too. I think it's just 8th grade in New York, but I'm pretty sure 7th graders can run Varsity in Minnesota - hence Grace Ping winning the Roy Griak Invitational and qualifying for NXN when she was in 7th grade. Nike allows middle school kids to run only if their state allows it.

and now that I think about it, I think I've seen Florida have 8th grade kids running varsity too, but I'm not 100% on that.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.