An Article from Colorado Milesplit
05/14/2018 9:22:37 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Written by Bobby Reyes about Georgia's own Coach Andy Christie. Wanted to make sure it made it over to ga.milesplit. http://co.milesplit.com/articles/240669-a-credit-to-coach
Written by Bobby Reyes about Georgia's own Coach Andy Christie. Wanted to make sure it made it over to ga.milesplit.

http://co.milesplit.com/articles/240669-a-credit-to-coach
05/14/2018 11:41:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I see another "Coach"in the background looking on..@spxcoachrm
I see another "Coach"in the background looking on..@spxcoachrm
05/14/2018 12:07:29 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@trailcat Yep, and that's Coach Mayer right next to me and a 25% chance that's Coach Demarest's arm. Coach Christie inspired many who ran for him. The fact that you've got 3/7 of that team currently coaching and one other member writing for milesplit tells you everything you need to know about the coach he was and still is.
@trailcat

Yep, and that's Coach Mayer right next to me and a 25% chance that's Coach Demarest's arm. Coach Christie inspired many who ran for him. The fact that you've got 3/7 of that team currently coaching and one other member writing for milesplit tells you everything you need to know about the coach he was and still is.
05/14/2018 5:25:30 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Thank you all so much. My motivation in coaching is to try and help others like Coach Wood helped me, and then to keep it going post-high school like he has done for me. I am extremely humbled and honored by Bobby's article.
Thank you all so much. My motivation in coaching is to try and help others like Coach Wood helped me, and then to keep it going post-high school like he has done for me. I am extremely humbled and honored by Bobby's article.
05/15/2018 9:48:19 AM
Coach
@spxcoachrm I don't think I'm in that picture, Ryan. No spiking up for me that day, but I was on the sidelines trying to decide if I was in awe, or if things went exactly how they were supposed to... Bob was God-like to me by that point, only having been running since August and only really understanding the sport for maybe a few weeks by the time of the state meet. Watching that race and that moment for Bobby and Coach definitely resonated with me. Bobby wrote something inspirational in my yearbook that spring, something that was not as simple as "just keep training", but basically that was the message. He planted a seed that I knew I could only accomplish if I trusted coach and trained my tail off consistently for 3 years. Coach was pretty good at saying the right thing at the right time. One example, my senior year he reminded me (while I continuously beat myself up for falling short of my goals) that I was our team's "Bobby". I of course saw myself nowhere in comparison and yet again, failing. He knew I was already making that comparison. That message hit pretty hard, and the point was that the young guys just don't know yet- so set the example. My role(and abilities) were not about winning an individual title or setting school records. My role was to be a hard working leader that had come a long way since freshman year because I believed the plan. Perhaps a guy that followed my example could be inspired and go win a title or set records... I didn't literally need to be Bobby(or McClay, Lavender, Gordo, even Coy...) but more what he/ they represented. Coach is really good at raising up kids like me, for every Westog, Boetje, Woodrome, Costa... and the list grows... Coach Christie has brought up dozens like me. The impact is much deeper than titles and records, for sure. Getting to be a part of Mill Creek after college for a season was one of the most rewarding opportunities. I know Coach thought it was cool to have one of his athletes as part of his coaching crew. We probably don't say it enough. So, indeed, thanks, Coach.
@spxcoachrm I don't think I'm in that picture, Ryan. No spiking up for me that day, but I was on the sidelines trying to decide if I was in awe, or if things went exactly how they were supposed to... Bob was God-like to me by that point, only having been running since August and only really understanding the sport for maybe a few weeks by the time of the state meet. Watching that race and that moment for Bobby and Coach definitely resonated with me. Bobby wrote something inspirational in my yearbook that spring, something that was not as simple as "just keep training", but basically that was the message. He planted a seed that I knew I could only accomplish if I trusted coach and trained my tail off consistently for 3 years.

Coach was pretty good at saying the right thing at the right time. One example, my senior year he reminded me (while I continuously beat myself up for falling short of my goals) that I was our team's "Bobby". I of course saw myself nowhere in comparison and yet again, failing. He knew I was already making that comparison. That message hit pretty hard, and the point was that the young guys just don't know yet- so set the example. My role(and abilities) were not about winning an individual title or setting school records. My role was to be a hard working leader that had come a long way since freshman year because I believed the plan. Perhaps a guy that followed my example could be inspired and go win a title or set records... I didn't literally need to be Bobby(or McClay, Lavender, Gordo, even Coy...) but more what he/ they represented. Coach is really good at raising up kids like me, for every Westog, Boetje, Woodrome, Costa... and the list grows... Coach Christie has brought up dozens like me. The impact is much deeper than titles and records, for sure.

Getting to be a part of Mill Creek after college for a season was one of the most rewarding opportunities. I know Coach thought it was cool to have one of his athletes as part of his coaching crew.

We probably don't say it enough. So, indeed, thanks, Coach.
05/16/2018 7:59:31 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachMayer Thank you. I know for me, Coach Wood could say things that would make me want to run through a brick wall to try and impress him and do my part for our team. I wouldn't have felt that way if I didn't know he genuinely cared for me. He did that for every member of our team, whether they were a top runner or a back of the pack JV guys. And getting to coach with you during the 2011 season was a definite highlight of my career.
@CoachMayer Thank you. I know for me, Coach Wood could say things that would make me want to run through a brick wall to try and impress him and do my part for our team. I wouldn't have felt that way if I didn't know he genuinely cared for me. He did that for every member of our team, whether they were a top runner or a back of the pack JV guys. And getting to coach with you during the 2011 season was a definite highlight of my career.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.