State course layout
11/04/2017 8:19:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Has the state course at Carrollton always had the current layout?
Has the state course at Carrollton always had the current layout?
11/04/2017 8:28:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
No. I believe the current design is from 2013 forward. There were slight alterations for some races in 2015 due to course conditions (mud).
No. I believe the current design is from 2013 forward. There were slight alterations for some races in 2015 due to course conditions (mud).
11/04/2017 8:28:59 PM
User
@trackside No. The current course in Carrollton is about 30 seconds faster than the original Carrollton course from the 90's.
@trackside

No. The current course in Carrollton is about 30 seconds faster than the original Carrollton course from the 90's.
11/04/2017 9:27:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I want to say we left Al Bishop as the state course in?? 1995. The original course included the hill the middle school now sits on. There were a lot of small to medium size oak trees that covered the hill and the course ran though them along what would resemble switchbacks. The finish downhill was run up twice as I remember. Too many years gone by to remember much more of the layout. Because of construction of the middle school the start line was across the road where the awards are announced and they started on a football field where you dodged a goal post 100 yds into the start.
I want to say we left Al Bishop as the state course in?? 1995. The original course included the hill the middle school now sits on. There were a lot of small to medium size oak trees that covered the hill and the course ran though them along what would resemble switchbacks. The finish downhill was run up twice as I remember. Too many years gone by to remember much more of the layout. Because of construction of the middle school the start line was across the road where the awards are announced and they started on a football field where you dodged a goal post 100 yds into the start.
11/05/2017 2:49:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=GettingSlower]I want to say we left Al Bishop as the state course in?? 1995. The original course included the hill the middle school now sits on. There were a lot of small to medium size oak trees that covered the hill and the course ran though them along what would resemble switchbacks. The finish downhill was run up twice as I remember. Too many years gone by to remember much more of the layout. Because of construction of the middle school the start line was across the road where the awards are announced and they started on a football field where you dodged a goal post 100 yds into the start.[/quote] @GettingSlower You must have forgotten all the huge pine trees that made up most of the hill..
GettingSlower wrote:

@GettingSlower You must have forgotten all the huge pine trees that made up most of the hill..
11/05/2017 2:58:37 PM
Power User
Carrollton first held the State XC meet in 1994. The original lay-out was comparable time-wise to Al Bishop. It was fair but not as slow as the current lay-out. There have been 5-6 different versions most of which have been very slow. The first really slow version was in the late 1990's through around 2002. 2003 through around 2009 was similar time-wise to the original version and in the last few years, it's slowed down a bit. Most of these changes have been due to construction.
Carrollton first held the State XC meet in 1994. The original lay-out was comparable time-wise to Al Bishop. It was fair but not as slow as the current lay-out. There have been 5-6 different versions most of which have been very slow. The first really slow version was in the late 1990's through around 2002. 2003 through around 2009 was similar time-wise to the original version and in the last few years, it's slowed down a bit. Most of these changes have been due to construction.
11/05/2017 4:58:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It can't be long until that field we start in is a prime building area..I would love to see State at Berry if they would entertain it..
It can't be long until that field we start in is a prime building area..I would love to see State at Berry if they would entertain it..
11/16/2017 11:07:39 PM
User
GHSA has held the State XC Meet in Carrollton starting in 1994. Yes, the original course was at least 30 seconds slower. It has always been a double loop course, and the starting line has always been where it is now for ALL high school meets. The only time it was started across the street on the far side of the baseball stadium was for the December 2002 National USATF XC Championships. The original course was 100% all grass, had a steeper 1st hill starting right after the 400 meter mark, and ran up the middle of the current open area between the starting line and the final hill; that hill was nearly 600 meters all uphlll, because it ran to near the intersection of Tom Reeve Drive and H.M. Fulbright Drive before turning right to go past the softball stadium. Construction of the middle school necessitated the course changes we currently have. That original course did not run through the playground on the RIGHT side of the elementary school, nor did it go on the path by the creek, the band field or Separation Slope.
GHSA has held the State XC Meet in Carrollton starting in 1994. Yes, the original course was at least 30 seconds slower. It has always been a double loop course, and the starting line has always been where it is now for ALL high school meets. The only time it was started across the street on the far side of the baseball stadium was for the December 2002 National USATF XC Championships. The original course was 100% all grass, had a steeper 1st hill starting right after the 400 meter mark, and ran up the middle of the current open area between the starting line and the final hill; that hill was nearly 600 meters all uphlll, because it ran to near the intersection of Tom Reeve Drive and H.M. Fulbright Drive before turning right to go past the softball stadium. Construction of the middle school necessitated the course changes we currently have. That original course did not run through the playground on the RIGHT side of the elementary school, nor did it go on the path by the creek, the band field or Separation Slope.
11/17/2017 12:24:17 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@kml60 I wouldn't call it slight, they took separation slope out... I would even go as far to suggest: run Separation Slope route on Loop 1, and the 2nd loop, use the cut through route, making for a faster, more furious finish and better times Nationally for GA HS runners.
@kml60 I wouldn't call it slight, they took separation slope out... I would even go as far to suggest: run Separation Slope route on Loop 1, and the 2nd loop, use the cut through route, making for a faster, more furious finish and better times Nationally for GA HS runners.
11/17/2017 7:25:19 AM
Coach
@CarrolltonXCVoice I have never brought any of my runners to Carrollton to run the USATF XC Championships but I know for a fact we have raced there one time when the starting line was over on the practice football field behind the baseball field. I am not sure which of the Carrollton meets it was but we definitely started over there for a race (or two) one year. No big deal...just stating a fact.
@CarrolltonXCVoice I have never brought any of my runners to Carrollton to run the USATF XC Championships but I know for a fact we have raced there one time when the starting line was over on the practice football field behind the baseball field. I am not sure which of the Carrollton meets it was but we definitely started over there for a race (or two) one year. No big deal...just stating a fact.
11/17/2017 8:02:34 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
In 2003 we started across the street. Carrollton Ortho was cancelled that year because of the construction, but for both last chance and state we started across the street. No separation slope though so it was a fairly quick layout for a Carrollton course
In 2003 we started across the street. Carrollton Ortho was cancelled that year because of the construction, but for both last chance and state we started across the street. No separation slope though so it was a fairly quick layout for a Carrollton course
11/17/2017 8:04:00 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@eddiemurray It was 2003. I know State started across the street that year. I think maybe Last Chance too cause I think that was the only chance people had to run on the State course before State that year, due to whatever was going on.
@eddiemurray

It was 2003. I know State started across the street that year. I think maybe Last Chance too cause I think that was the only chance people had to run on the State course before State that year, due to whatever was going on.
11/17/2017 8:04:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CarrolltonXCVoice]GHSA has held the State XC Meet in Carrollton starting in 1994. Yes, the original course was at least 30 seconds slower. It has always been a double loop course, and the starting line has always been where it is now for ALL high school meets. The only time it was started across the street on the far side of the baseball stadium was for the December 2002 National USATF XC Championships. The original course was 100% all grass, had a steeper 1st hill starting right after the 400 meter mark, and ran up the middle of the current open area between the starting line and the final hill; that hill was nearly 600 meters all uphlll, because it ran to near the intersection of Tom Reeve Drive and H.M. Fulbright Drive before turning right to go past the softball stadium. Construction of the middle school necessitated the course changes we currently have. That original course did not run through the playground on the RIGHT side of the elementary school, nor did it go on the path by the creek, the band field or Separation Slope.[/quote] @CarrolltonXCVoice One of the high school races started across the street in the Fall of 2003. I'm 95% sure it was the state championship race.
CarrolltonXCVoice wrote:

@CarrolltonXCVoice

One of the high school races started across the street in the Fall of 2003. I'm 95% sure it was the state championship race.
11/17/2017 8:17:15 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@TFCoach16 It absolutely was across the street in 2003. That was my senior year.
@TFCoach16

It absolutely was across the street in 2003. That was my senior year.
11/17/2017 8:20:25 AM
Power User
@gawebmaster This change could eliminate the extra 50-60m to make it a 5k as well...why the heck not?
@gawebmaster

This change could eliminate the extra 50-60m to make it a 5k as well...why the heck not?
11/17/2017 11:36:07 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@gawebmaster This is a fantastic idea. There's no reason we have to do the exact same loop twice. Like Heintz said it would shorten it back to a 5k as well. My only question would be which loop would it be better to run separation slope? 1st or 2nd? I can see good reason to argue both. I would absolutely love to see this minor change for next year. Any way we can put it to a vote in the coaches association?
@gawebmaster

This is a fantastic idea. There's no reason we have to do the exact same loop twice. Like Heintz said it would shorten it back to a 5k as well. My only question would be which loop would it be better to run separation slope? 1st or 2nd? I can see good reason to argue both. I would absolutely love to see this minor change for next year. Any way we can put it to a vote in the coaches association?
11/17/2017 12:49:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
ParkviewCoachDXC You ran in the state meet?
ParkviewCoachDXC
You ran in the state meet?
11/17/2017 12:54:02 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Yifter80 Yup. Interview anyone who was there and who has attended multiple state meets. They'll attest that I was the greatest 54th place finisher of all time.
@Yifter80

Yup. Interview anyone who was there and who has attended multiple state meets. They'll attest that I was the greatest 54th place finisher of all time.
11/24/2017 11:21:37 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Another reason moving the start across the street is that the start wouldn't cross the finish line anymore. This would make it so races don't have to wait for the previous one to finish. If you have spotters to make sure the last runner is, say, on the band field, you could start the next race and not catch them. This would allow a faster turn around between races and possibly get us back to a one day state meet. 16 races on 30 minute centers is 7.5 hours. Early November has around 10.5 hours of sunlight. It could happen. There is also more run out room over there, greatly reducing the crunch factor that led many to want a smaller field at the meet. Just sayin'
Another reason moving the start across the street is that the start wouldn't cross the finish line anymore. This would make it so races don't have to wait for the previous one to finish. If you have spotters to make sure the last runner is, say, on the band field, you could start the next race and not catch them. This would allow a faster turn around between races and possibly get us back to a one day state meet. 16 races on 30 minute centers is 7.5 hours. Early November has around 10.5 hours of sunlight. It could happen.

There is also more run out room over there, greatly reducing the crunch factor that led many to want a smaller field at the meet. Just sayin'
11/27/2017 9:19:15 AM
Coach
We moved from the Water Works to Al Bishop in 1982. Then moved to Carrollton in 93. Carrollton changed to the new - new course in 2003, then again in 2013 and again in 2015. It has always been spectator friendly, has always had multiple road crossing, and always run professionally. Still the Water Works is a classic with the 180 degree turn at the bottom of a steep down hill just 150 meters off the start.
We moved from the Water Works to Al Bishop in 1982. Then moved to Carrollton in 93. Carrollton changed to the new - new course in 2003, then again in 2013 and again in 2015. It has always been spectator friendly, has always had multiple road crossing, and always run professionally. Still the Water Works is a classic with the 180 degree turn at the bottom of a steep down hill just 150 meters off the start.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.