Transitions/Sunglasses at State Meet
10/31/2017 4:45:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Does the new jewelry rule also cover sunglassss? Does this mean we do not need a doctors note anymore for athletes who wear them for vision correction?
Does the new jewelry rule also cover sunglassss? Does this mean we do not need a doctors note anymore for athletes who wear them for vision correction?
11/01/2017 9:13:08 AM
Coach
@TFCoach16 That is an amazing question.
@TFCoach16

That is an amazing question.
11/01/2017 11:36:08 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
From the GHSA Constitution: SECTION 4 CROSS COUNTRY GENERAL INFORMATION: E. All competitors shall have legal uniforms in compliance with GHSA and NFHS uniform rules. From the GHSA Cross Country Coach's Handbook: 2017 GHSA Cross Country Uniform Rules Clarification • Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must be of the same color and design, but not necessarily of the same length. • The GHSA has opted to continue the requirement that ALL VISIBLE UNDERGARMENTS must be UNADORNED and of a SINGLE, SOLID color – if the athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color. • Undergarments having a waistband with multiple logos/references of the manufacturer are NOT legal as uniform bottoms. • Undergarment tops and/or bottoms do not have to be the same color. • Any OTHER clothing items (socks, head wear, sleeves, gloves etc.) are NOT considered part of the school issued uniform. Although the wearing of these items is not prohibited, the wearing of any item (in excess of the school issued uniform) that is demeaning to the competition / sport will NOT be allowed. • Gloves are permitted. • Use of wristwatches with GPS capability during competition is ILLEGAL. The penalty for this violations is DISQUALIFICATION. • The ultimate responsibility for uniform compliance lies with the coach. Coaches should inspect any/all garments competitors wear to make sure they are in compliance with GHSA and NFHS uniforms rules. On the next page is a Uniform Guidelines document. NFHS (looking at 2016 rule book) doesn't have anything about glasses or jewelry at all.
From the GHSA Constitution:

SECTION 4
CROSS COUNTRY
GENERAL INFORMATION:

E. All competitors shall have legal uniforms in compliance with GHSA and NFHS uniform rules.

From the GHSA Cross Country Coach's Handbook:

2017 GHSA Cross Country
Uniform Rules Clarification
• Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If
undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must
be of the same color and design, but not necessarily of the same length.
• The GHSA has opted to continue the requirement that ALL VISIBLE
UNDERGARMENTS must be UNADORNED and of a SINGLE, SOLID color -- if the
athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color.
• Undergarments having a waistband with multiple logos/references of the manufacturer
are NOT legal as uniform bottoms.
• Undergarment tops and/or bottoms do not have to be the same color.
• Any OTHER clothing items (socks, head wear, sleeves, gloves etc.) are NOT considered
part of the school issued uniform. Although the wearing of these items is not
prohibited, the wearing of any item (in excess of the school issued uniform) that is
demeaning to the competition / sport will NOT be allowed.
• Gloves are permitted.
• Use of wristwatches with GPS capability during competition is ILLEGAL. The penalty
for this violations is DISQUALIFICATION.
• The ultimate responsibility for uniform compliance lies with the coach. Coaches should
inspect any/all garments competitors wear to make sure they are in compliance with
GHSA and NFHS uniforms rules. On the next page is a Uniform Guidelines document.

NFHS (looking at 2016 rule book) doesn't have anything about glasses or jewelry at all.
11/01/2017 12:42:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TFCoach16 If it were me, I'd bring the doctor's note. It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Even if a doctor's note is no longer required, the officials checking your team's uniforms may or may not know the current rules.
@TFCoach16 If it were me, I'd bring the doctor's note. It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Even if a doctor's note is no longer required, the officials checking your team's uniforms may or may not know the current rules.
11/01/2017 1:23:33 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@GACARTER Based off of past years and encounters at other meets this year, the USATF officials often do NOT know the subtle differences between USATF & NFHS/GHSA. You are 100% right, be prepared!
@GACARTER

Based off of past years and encounters at other meets this year, the USATF officials often do NOT know the subtle differences between USATF & NFHS/GHSA.

You are 100% right, be prepared!
11/01/2017 2:24:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is no longer mention of jewelry, hair beads or sunglasses in the 2017 GHSA Constitution. As an official this cross country season, I have allowed wearing of tinted lenses (sunglasses, etc.), hair beads, and jewelry. [b]2016 GHSA Constitution[/b] Section 4 - Cross Country 4.F.3. [i]The following items are not allowed during competition: (a) jewelry (b) hair beads of any type (c) sunglasses (Note: Prescription sunglasses are permitted if accompanied by a Physician's note stating that the eye wear is necessary for competition.) (d) Electronic devices[/i] [b]2017 GHSA Constitution[/b] Section 4 - Cross Country 4.F.3 [i]Electronic devices are not allowed during competition.[/i] There is a specific mention of a type of "Electronic Device" in the [b]2017 GHSA Cross Country Coaches Handbook[/b] [i]Use of wristwatches with GPS capability during competition is ILLEGAL.[/i] I interpret an Electronic Device to be anything that has capability to count steps, calculate pace or monitor heart rate (even if those features are disabled.) Therefore, is not allowed. I do not consider a watch that has time of day, elapsed time, or lap capability to be an electronic device. Therefore, is allowed.
There is no longer mention of jewelry, hair beads or sunglasses in the 2017 GHSA Constitution. As an official this cross country season, I have allowed wearing of tinted lenses (sunglasses, etc.), hair beads, and jewelry.

2016 GHSA Constitution
Section 4 - Cross Country
4.F.3. The following items are not allowed during competition:
(a) jewelry
(b) hair beads of any type
(c) sunglasses (Note: Prescription sunglasses are permitted if accompanied by a Physician's note stating that the eye wear is necessary for competition.)
(d) Electronic devices

2017 GHSA Constitution
Section 4 - Cross Country
4.F.3 Electronic devices are not allowed during competition.

There is a specific mention of a type of "Electronic Device" in the 2017 GHSA Cross Country Coaches Handbook
Use of wristwatches with GPS capability during competition is ILLEGAL.

I interpret an Electronic Device to be anything that has capability to count steps, calculate pace or monitor heart rate (even if those features are disabled.) Therefore, is not allowed.

I do not consider a watch that has time of day, elapsed time, or lap capability to be an electronic device. Therefore, is allowed.
11/01/2017 2:32:14 PM
Coach
Concerning tights worn under the uniform shorts and worn by 2 or more teammates -- according to the rule book(2016 Rule 4-3, Art. 2) they only have to be unadorned and of the same, single, solid color, but not necessarily the same length ONLY if they extend below the knee. I interpret this to mean that if the tights are above the knee then runner A could wear black tights and runner B could wear green tights and they would be legal. The 2016 casebook also gives the example of Runner D wearing a 2-color undergarment under his/her uniform bottom that does not extend below the knee and how this is LEGAL, due to the fact that the undergarment did not extend below the knee. No warning would be issued in this case. Am I interpreting this correctly?
Concerning tights worn under the uniform shorts and worn by 2 or more teammates -- according to the rule book(2016 Rule 4-3, Art. 2) they only have to be unadorned and of the same, single, solid color, but not necessarily the same length ONLY if they extend below the knee. I interpret this to mean that if the tights are above the knee then runner A could wear black tights and runner B could wear green tights and they would be legal. The 2016 casebook also gives the example of Runner D wearing a 2-color undergarment under his/her uniform bottom that does not extend below the knee and how this is LEGAL, due to the fact that the undergarment did not extend below the knee. No warning would be issued in this case. Am I interpreting this correctly?
11/01/2017 2:35:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@emkc The GHSA rules on uniforms are more strict than NFHS. In Georgia, [b]length[/b] of undergarment does not matter, but [b]design[/b] and [b]color[/b] does. See [url=https://www.ghsa.net/2017-ghsa-cross-country-coaches-handbook]2017 Cross Country Coaches Handbook[/url] for details.
@emkc The GHSA rules on uniforms are more strict than NFHS. In Georgia, length of undergarment does not matter, but design and color does.

See 2017 Cross Country Coaches Handbook for details.
11/01/2017 2:57:11 PM
Coach
Thanks for the clarification and the info.
Thanks for the clarification and the info.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.