@gawebmaster Lord have mercy
01/22/2017 2:09:43 AM
User
Mill Creek please
Mill Creek please
01/22/2017 2:14:58 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Scootermanute Mill Creek would have to let school out before noon on Thrs/Fri to make that happen.
@Scootermanute Mill Creek would have to let school out before noon on Thrs/Fri to make that happen.
01/22/2017 11:10:47 AM
User
Lakewood? Not sure if there's enough parking.
Lakewood? Not sure if there's enough parking.
01/22/2017 1:57:36 PM
User
Could a day be added to the meet at Carrollton and they host the three additional classes originally scheduled at Jefferson? Too big?
Could a day be added to the meet at Carrollton and they host the three additional classes originally scheduled at Jefferson? Too big?
01/23/2017 8:01:26 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Sbevan I actually don't understand how Carrollton is even hosting 2 classes this year. Thursday and Friday competition is during the school day. Are they letting the kids out of school those days as well like cross country? If not, parking will be a nightmare.
@Sbevan

I actually don't understand how Carrollton is even hosting 2 classes this year. Thursday and Friday competition is during the school day. Are they letting the kids out of school those days as well like cross country? If not, parking will be a nightmare.
01/23/2017 8:05:02 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I recommend Berry. It's the week after their graduation, they have a brand new facility, It's only about 20 minutes farther North than Jefferson, they have tons of room on campus for parking, along with all other benefits of doing it on a college campus. Berry is actually capable of hosting all classifications and both genders if they'd be willing to take it. They have the facilities to do it in 3 days. Heck, they could even do it in 2 days if we moved half the field events to Saturday morning.
I recommend Berry. It's the week after their graduation, they have a brand new facility, It's only about 20 minutes farther North than Jefferson, they have tons of room on campus for parking, along with all other benefits of doing it on a college campus.

Berry is actually capable of hosting all classifications and both genders if they'd be willing to take it. They have the facilities to do it in 3 days. Heck, they could even do it in 2 days if we moved half the field events to Saturday morning.
01/23/2017 8:34:23 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm Berry would be a great location. Has anyone spoken to them to check interest?
@spxcoachrm

Berry would be a great location. Has anyone spoken to them to check interest?
01/23/2017 2:51:04 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Any idea when GHSA will announce alternate locations? Could be a hotel nightmare for some...
Any idea when GHSA will announce alternate locations? Could be a hotel nightmare for some...
01/23/2017 4:53:40 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@eisenmanm [url=https://www.ghsa.net/venue-change-necessary-part-state-track-meet]https://www.ghsa.net/venue-change-necessary-part-state-track-meet[/url]
01/25/2017 2:09:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Suddenly, I'm happy I haven't canceled my hotel rooms in Albany yet...
Suddenly, I'm happy I haven't canceled my hotel rooms in Albany yet...
01/25/2017 11:10:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@LassiterCoach Nooooooooooo. please noooooooo
@LassiterCoach Nooooooooooo. please noooooooo
01/26/2017 4:32:08 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Berry is 2 hours North West of Jefferson. SPX coach, who taught you Geography sir? I hope the meet stays somewhere in Norteast Georgia where it has been for almost half a century
Berry is 2 hours North West of Jefferson. SPX coach, who taught you Geography sir? I hope the meet stays somewhere in Norteast Georgia where it has been for almost half a century
01/26/2017 6:14:17 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@timcacs Most people attending the state meet don't already live in Northeast Georgia, like you do. That means they will likely be coming from somewhere around Atlanta or further south (which means they would have to travel through Atlanta). A quick google maps search puts Berry at a 1:19 (73.5 mi.) drive from Atlanta to Mt. Berry and a 0:59(60.8 mi.) drive from Atlanta to Jefferson. So anybody who had a long drive to Jefferson, would have a little farther to travel to Berry, but not much. The Cobb county teams will likely have a shorter drive now. The only Georgia schools who would increase their drive would be the ones already in Northeast Georgia. But, like you said, they've had it so close to them for so many years. So it would be nice to give somebody else the shorter drive for once. I'm sure the Northwest Georgia counties would love to have it at Berry. Wanting the meet to stay at Jefferson for tradition makes sense. But that's not an option, plus we're already breaking tradition by splitting up the classes. But wanting it to stay in Northeast Georgia for "tradition" doesn't make any sense. Moving it to another school in Northeast Georgia is also breaking tradition with the one exception that those schools still get the shortest drive. That's just you selfishly wanting a shorter drive. All that being said, I would also support having the state meet at UGA. Or really any college campus with nice facilities.
@timcacs

Most people attending the state meet don't already live in Northeast Georgia, like you do. That means they will likely be coming from somewhere around Atlanta or further south (which means they would have to travel through Atlanta). A quick google maps search puts Berry at a 1:19 (73.5 mi.) drive from Atlanta to Mt. Berry and a 0:59(60.8 mi.) drive from Atlanta to Jefferson. So anybody who had a long drive to Jefferson, would have a little farther to travel to Berry, but not much. The Cobb county teams will likely have a shorter drive now. The only Georgia schools who would increase their drive would be the ones already in Northeast Georgia. But, like you said, they've had it so close to them for so many years. So it would be nice to give somebody else the shorter drive for once. I'm sure the Northwest Georgia counties would love to have it at Berry.

Wanting the meet to stay at Jefferson for tradition makes sense. But that's not an option, plus we're already breaking tradition by splitting up the classes. But wanting it to stay in Northeast Georgia for "tradition" doesn't make any sense. Moving it to another school in Northeast Georgia is also breaking tradition with the one exception that those schools still get the shortest drive. That's just you selfishly wanting a shorter drive.

All that being said, I would also support having the state meet at UGA. Or really any college campus with nice facilities.
01/26/2017 8:35:15 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'll take the AAAAAA meet at Berry for $600 Alex?
I'll take the AAAAAA meet at Berry for $600 Alex?
01/26/2017 9:54:10 AM
User
@spxcoachrm I don't think UGa or Tech would be suitable venues for the state meet, because seating is very limited. And for both, no reasonably way to temporarily expand it. (Although of the two, UGa probably would be better; particularly if it's just a one year temporary thing.) You really need a good track facility embedded in a football stadium, which you are more likely to find at a typical large HS.
@spxcoachrm
I don't think UGa or Tech would be suitable venues for the state meet, because seating is very limited. And for both, no reasonably way to temporarily expand it. (Although of the two, UGa probably would be better; particularly if it's just a one year temporary thing.) You really need a good track facility embedded in a football stadium, which you are more likely to find at a typical large HS.
01/26/2017 10:50:28 AM
Power User
Could the new Pace Academy facility handle it? It is off campus. Here is my prediction for 2017: We will temporarily end up at 5 total locations: Albany, Carrollton, a 7A, a 4A and a A Private. With the short notice and facilities requirements (parking, away from school, field event rings/runways/mats, huge number of volunteers, etc.) they won't be able to pull it all together. We could all just go down to IMG in Florida for the weekend haha. Gwinnett County has its meet in Rockdale County, why not the GA State meet in Florida?
Could the new Pace Academy facility handle it? It is off campus.

Here is my prediction for 2017:

We will temporarily end up at 5 total locations: Albany, Carrollton, a 7A, a 4A and a A Private. With the short notice and facilities requirements (parking, away from school, field event rings/runways/mats, huge number of volunteers, etc.) they won't be able to pull it all together.

We could all just go down to IMG in Florida for the weekend haha.

Gwinnett County has its meet in Rockdale County, why not the GA State meet in Florida?
01/26/2017 11:03:22 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Divalent You're right. I thought I remembered the UGA track having more stands. But I only ever ran one race there, and that was over 10 years ago. Looking at the google earth image, it's probably not enough room. So neither UGA nor tech have the seating capacity for a state meet. The only way to reasonably do it at either location is to allow teams to setup tents on the football practice fields and allow spectators to stand along the outside of the track. At UGA this is more reasonable than tech, but it wouldn't be a fun thing to organize. As for it being at a high school, that's not reasonable unless you cancel school. Again, I'll be curious to hear about how it goes at Carrollton this year with parking. @Maristxccoach I also thought of Pace, but I've never been there so I didn't want to throw about a location having no knowledge of the facility.
@Divalent

You're right. I thought I remembered the UGA track having more stands. But I only ever ran one race there, and that was over 10 years ago. Looking at the google earth image, it's probably not enough room. So neither UGA nor tech have the seating capacity for a state meet. The only way to reasonably do it at either location is to allow teams to setup tents on the football practice fields and allow spectators to stand along the outside of the track. At UGA this is more reasonable than tech, but it wouldn't be a fun thing to organize.

As for it being at a high school, that's not reasonable unless you cancel school. Again, I'll be curious to hear about how it goes at Carrollton this year with parking.

@Maristxccoach

I also thought of Pace, but I've never been there so I didn't want to throw about a location having no knowledge of the facility.
01/26/2017 11:50:01 AM
Coach
@MaristXCcoach Pace's facility could definitely handle it.... off campus, parking for their baseball, softball and football stadium in the same parking lot, 9 lane track and huge grandstands... Only problem? 3A will be in Albany.
@MaristXCcoach Pace's facility could definitely handle it.... off campus, parking for their baseball, softball and football stadium in the same parking lot, 9 lane track and huge grandstands...

Only problem? 3A will be in Albany.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.