visiting teams and the GHSA?
10/31/2016 11:17:52 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
So I recently learned (maybe it's just news to me?) that the GHSA pays a percentage of the gate receipts from playoff games to visiting teams. Basically how it works is, the GHSA takes a cut first, then pays officials, then pays the visiting team based on how far they're traveling. Not to mention the home team makes money too. Are we not all visitors in Carrollton, Albany, and Jefferson? Shouldn't we all get a cut of their profits? There are some teams that travel from far away and can barely afford to go to state in either sport. At least one coach has posted his concern on these boards. I hope he reads this post. Because I believe he has a legitimate complaint with the GHSA. If we have ANY chance of limiting our ridiculously large state meets, this might be it. GHSA can't afford to pay all of us. To be clear, I'm not asking for money. Carrollton and Jefferson are not so far away from my school that it's an issue. But for some smaller, rural schools, the current setup doesn't help them at all. Does anybody have any information on this?
So I recently learned (maybe it's just news to me?) that the GHSA pays a percentage of the gate receipts from playoff games to visiting teams. Basically how it works is, the GHSA takes a cut first, then pays officials, then pays the visiting team based on how far they're traveling. Not to mention the home team makes money too.

Are we not all visitors in Carrollton, Albany, and Jefferson? Shouldn't we all get a cut of their profits? There are some teams that travel from far away and can barely afford to go to state in either sport. At least one coach has posted his concern on these boards. I hope he reads this post. Because I believe he has a legitimate complaint with the GHSA.

If we have ANY chance of limiting our ridiculously large state meets, this might be it. GHSA can't afford to pay all of us.

To be clear, I'm not asking for money. Carrollton and Jefferson are not so far away from my school that it's an issue. But for some smaller, rural schools, the current setup doesn't help them at all.

Does anybody have any information on this?
11/01/2016 7:20:44 AM
Coach
What information are you looking for? You are accurate that in other sports played in stadiums or on a diamond during state playoffs, the visiting team gets a travel fee, GHSA gets a percentage, and officials are paid, all before the home team gets their share of what is left. Often times, there is no "profit" from hosting a state playoff softball or baseball or soccer game and very little profit from hosting a playoff football game (at many schools). The sports where the entire state gathers for playoffs do not have the same guidelines to follow. Golf, cross country, track, wrestling, and swim & dive are different. Those financial forms are not on the GHSA website so I am not sure what deal the host site has for these.
What information are you looking for? You are accurate that in other sports played in stadiums or on a diamond during state playoffs, the visiting team gets a travel fee, GHSA gets a percentage, and officials are paid, all before the home team gets their share of what is left. Often times, there is no "profit" from hosting a state playoff softball or baseball or soccer game and very little profit from hosting a playoff football game (at many schools). The sports where the entire state gathers for playoffs do not have the same guidelines to follow. Golf, cross country, track, wrestling, and swim & dive are different. Those financial forms are not on the GHSA website so I am not sure what deal the host site has for these.
11/01/2016 11:08:35 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@eddiemurray All I'm really saying is that there are some schools out there for which the state meet is a financial hardship. The GHSA has made a policy that in some sports they help out the visiting teams financially. Should it be exactly the same for xc? I don't think so. But as far as I know, right now nobody gets any travel money from the GHSA in xc or track. If there are profits from any of the state meets, I think some should be used to help cover the travel expenses of schools who are farthest away from our meet locations. I'm just not a fan of us being in the dark of how much money our state meet hosts make off of the rest of us each year. If there are little to no profits, fine. But we shouldn't be clueless about that.
@eddiemurray

All I'm really saying is that there are some schools out there for which the state meet is a financial hardship. The GHSA has made a policy that in some sports they help out the visiting teams financially. Should it be exactly the same for xc? I don't think so. But as far as I know, right now nobody gets any travel money from the GHSA in xc or track. If there are profits from any of the state meets, I think some should be used to help cover the travel expenses of schools who are farthest away from our meet locations. I'm just not a fan of us being in the dark of how much money our state meet hosts make off of the rest of us each year. If there are little to no profits, fine. But we shouldn't be clueless about that.
11/01/2016 11:20:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=spxcoachrm]@eddiemurray All I'm really saying is that there are some schools out there for which the state meet is a financial hardship. The GHSA has made a policy that in some sports they help out the visiting teams financially. Should it be exactly the same for xc? I don't think so. But as far as I know, right now nobody gets any travel money from the GHSA in xc or track. If there are profits from any of the state meets, I think some should be used to help cover the travel expenses of schools who are farthest away from our meet locations. I'm just not a fan of us being in the dark of how much money our state meet hosts make off of the rest of us each year. If there are little to no profits, fine. But we shouldn't be clueless about that.[/quote] @spxcoachrm The GHSA publishes a financial audit every year. Here is the link to last years: https://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/financials/Audit_Report_6-30-2016_Final.pdf If I am reading it right, which could be a big assumption, it appears the State Meet revenue was $11,204 and the expenses of putting it on were $9,086. Now, what we do not know, is how those expenses added up. I don't know how much was payment to Perfect Timing, how much was payment to Carrollton, etc. That would be interesting information, but it doesn't appear the GHSA is keeping a huge chunk of anything. I realize this does not address your question of how much the hosts (ie Carrollton) are making, but it sheds a little light on revenue/costs.
spxcoachrm wrote:
@eddiemurray

All I'm really saying is that there are some schools out there for which the state meet is a financial hardship. The GHSA has made a policy that in some sports they help out the visiting teams financially. Should it be exactly the same for xc? I don't think so. But as far as I know, right now nobody gets any travel money from the GHSA in xc or track. If there are profits from any of the state meets, I think some should be used to help cover the travel expenses of schools who are farthest away from our meet locations. I'm just not a fan of us being in the dark of how much money our state meet hosts make off of the rest of us each year. If there are little to no profits, fine. But we shouldn't be clueless about that.

@spxcoachrm

The GHSA publishes a financial audit every year. Here is the link to last years:

https://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/financials/Audit_Report_6-30-2016_Final.pdf

If I am reading it right, which could be a big assumption, it appears the State Meet revenue was $11,204 and the expenses of putting it on were $9,086.

Now, what we do not know, is how those expenses added up. I don't know how much was payment to Perfect Timing, how much was payment to Carrollton, etc. That would be interesting information, but it doesn't appear the GHSA is keeping a huge chunk of anything.

I realize this does not address your question of how much the hosts (ie Carrollton) are making, but it sheds a little light on revenue/costs.
11/01/2016 11:58:59 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@TFCoach16 Thanks! That's more or less what I was looking for. I'm also curious about a more thorough breakdown, but I'm satisfied with this.
@TFCoach16

Thanks! That's more or less what I was looking for. I'm also curious about a more thorough breakdown, but I'm satisfied with this.
11/01/2016 12:16:24 PM
User
@spxcoachrm It's not clear, from a cursory look, that that document is showing gross revenues from the events, or just GHSA's cut. In any event CC and T&F are minimal. I'm predicting that Track & Field State Meet revenues will be substantially higher this coming season with the combined B&G meets. I think you are much more likely to have partisan fans think that the time and travel will be worth it.
@spxcoachrm
It's not clear, from a cursory look, that that document is showing gross revenues from the events, or just GHSA's cut. In any event CC and T&F are minimal.

I'm predicting that Track & Field State Meet revenues will be substantially higher this coming season with the combined B&G meets. I think you are much more likely to have partisan fans think that the time and travel will be worth it.
11/01/2016 5:06:19 PM
User
I am quickly becoming one of the nay sayers for Carrollton hasting the state XC meet if they can't run 16 races in a day, but I pretty much know that a lot of money was spent up there repAiring the mess left from last years race.
I am quickly becoming one of the nay sayers for Carrollton hasting the state XC meet if they can't run 16 races in a day, but I pretty much know that a lot of money was spent up there repAiring the mess left from last years race.
11/01/2016 5:48:06 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Does the $11,000 figure seem low to anyone else? Is this # limited only to the GHSA cut of the gate receipt from the $5 meet entry fee? Are GHSA's cut of revenues from selling t-shirt included in the $11,000 figure or buried somewhere else in the $654K line item for "corporate sponsorships"? Does GHSA get a cut of the parking fees or does the hosting school keep 100% those funds? Interesting to note that this audit shows only $920 in revenues from the state track meet this year. How is that possible? 2015 was listed at having revenues of $12,000. Did someone lose a bag of cash at both venues?
Does the $11,000 figure seem low to anyone else? Is this # limited only to the GHSA cut of the gate receipt from the $5 meet entry fee? Are GHSA's cut of revenues from selling t-shirt included in the $11,000 figure or buried somewhere else in the $654K line item for "corporate sponsorships"? Does GHSA get a cut of the parking fees or does the hosting school keep 100% those funds?

Interesting to note that this audit shows only $920 in revenues from the state track meet this year. How is that possible? 2015 was listed at having revenues of $12,000. Did someone lose a bag of cash at both venues?
11/01/2016 7:49:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 thru the grapevine, I have heard that the State XC meet concession(tshirt, food, etc.) revenue alone, is in excess of $30k annually. I do not know if that is gross revenues or some portion of gross profit?
@crossfan2861 thru the grapevine, I have heard that the State XC meet concession(tshirt, food, etc.) revenue alone, is in excess of $30k annually. I do not know if that is gross revenues or some portion of gross profit?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.