GHSA Announces Expanded Track Venues in 2017
10/06/2016 2:09:22 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[url=https://www.ghsa.net/ghsa-announces-expanded-track-venues-2017]Article at GHSA.net[/url] State Track Meets will be at 3 venues on May 11-13, 2017 Jefferson (Memorial Stadium) Classes 1A Private, 4A & 7A (Boys and Girls) Albany (Hugh Mills Stadium) Classes 1A Public, 2A & 3A (Boys and Girls) Carrollton (Grisham Stadium) Classes 5A & 6A (Boys and Girls)
Article at GHSA.net

State Track Meets will be at 3 venues on May 11-13, 2017

Jefferson (Memorial Stadium) Classes 1A Private, 4A & 7A (Boys and Girls)
Albany (Hugh Mills Stadium) Classes 1A Public, 2A & 3A (Boys and Girls)
Carrollton (Grisham Stadium) Classes 5A & 6A (Boys and Girls)
10/06/2016 2:30:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Whoa. Looks like I have some hotel reservations to cancel.
Whoa. Looks like I have some hotel reservations to cancel.
10/06/2016 4:01:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Will the Sectional date be moved as well?
Will the Sectional date be moved as well?
10/06/2016 4:22:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
WOO HOO!!
WOO HOO!!
10/06/2016 9:13:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Best News I have heard all day!!!!!
Best News I have heard all day!!!!!
10/06/2016 9:54:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Do we know if classes will rotate?
Do we know if classes will rotate?
10/06/2016 10:34:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@trailcat I don't think that question has been addressed as the initial decision was just reached and impacts this year. My sense is that there will likely be some effort to rotate but obviously the host sites would have to remain at their locales to host their own classifications. Jefferson is in 4A and Carrollton is 5A so they would both stay at those locales as long as their classifications don't change. Albany is hosted by the Dougherty Co school district, and since Dougherty and Monroe are both 3A and Albany is 2A, I imagine they'll get deference as well. Since nearly all of Class A public is in the southern part of the state, I wouldn't be surprised if they stay at Albany. Thus, the idea of rotation makes some sense but might not be that workable. 6A, 7A and A private could and may rotate, but that may be it. The bridge that may need to be crossed in the future is when reclassification would put two host sites in the same group but that should not be our focus right now. As for the general nature of the announcement, I am sad to see the end of some great traditions but at the same time excited that GHSA has seen fit to address some issues that have been lingering. As a coach of both boys and girls I am really happy to have their championship events combined. I know I'm in the minority but I will say I will miss the trip to Albany, warts and all. I have many great memories from the last 20 years there. I'll have the same feelings about Jefferson if future rotation takes me to Carrollton or back to Albany. tp
@trailcat I don't think that question has been addressed as the initial decision was just reached and impacts this year. My sense is that there will likely be some effort to rotate but obviously the host sites would have to remain at their locales to host their own classifications. Jefferson is in 4A and Carrollton is 5A so they would both stay at those locales as long as their classifications don't change. Albany is hosted by the Dougherty Co school district, and since Dougherty and Monroe are both 3A and Albany is 2A, I imagine they'll get deference as well. Since nearly all of Class A public is in the southern part of the state, I wouldn't be surprised if they stay at Albany. Thus, the idea of rotation makes some sense but might not be that workable. 6A, 7A and A private could and may rotate, but that may be it. The bridge that may need to be crossed in the future is when reclassification would put two host sites in the same group but that should not be our focus right now.

As for the general nature of the announcement, I am sad to see the end of some great traditions but at the same time excited that GHSA has seen fit to address some issues that have been lingering. As a coach of both boys and girls I am really happy to have their championship events combined. I know I'm in the minority but I will say I will miss the trip to Albany, warts and all. I have many great memories from the last 20 years there. I'll have the same feelings about Jefferson if future rotation takes me to Carrollton or back to Albany.
tp
10/06/2016 10:40:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@tpee I'm with you there. I'll miss watching every classification of boys line up and run those 1600 and 3200's from up on the hill. But I'm also looking forward to see how Carrollton does with our class.
@tpee I'm with you there. I'll miss watching every classification of boys line up and run those 1600 and 3200's from up on the hill. But I'm also looking forward to see how Carrollton does with our class.
10/07/2016 12:06:25 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
its not good for meet coverage at all..
its not good for meet coverage at all..
10/07/2016 3:50:51 AM
Coach
Wow, this is awesome and a long time coming. Wish I'd been able to experience this model during my 9 years in Georgia. I agree though that I had a great time in Albany whenever I was there, despite the long trip. I am glad I am not at Darlington this year because graduation is the same day as the boys and girls track meet; I don't want to fight that battle! :-S
Wow, this is awesome and a long time coming. Wish I'd been able to experience this model during my 9 years in Georgia. I agree though that I had a great time in Albany whenever I was there, despite the long trip.

I am glad I am not at Darlington this year because graduation is the same day as the boys and girls track meet; I don't want to fight that battle!
10/07/2016 4:50:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@etomas12 Are there any other changes in the works for GHSA TF/XC?
@etomas12

Are there any other changes in the works for GHSA TF/XC?
10/07/2016 7:07:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@tpee Kudos. it seems that GHSA made an effort to locate the classifications' State Champs closest to the schools that actually compete in that classification. I would not see any LOGICAL reason to rotate sites. For example, the vast vast majority of 1A private schools are in Metro ATL and points East and North so it makes sense for them to be in Jefferson. Same logic for 7A. Same logic for 1A public being down closer to Albany. I would not see any logical reason to uproot those schools just so they can enjoy the "lovely" experience that is Albany or any other venue farther away from the students, parents,and coaches.
@tpee Kudos. it seems that GHSA made an effort to locate the classifications' State Champs closest to the schools that actually compete in that classification. I would not see any LOGICAL reason to rotate sites. For example, the vast vast majority of 1A private schools are in Metro ATL and points East and North so it makes sense for them to be in Jefferson. Same logic for 7A. Same logic for 1A public being down closer to Albany. I would not see any logical reason to uproot those schools just so they can enjoy the "lovely" experience that is Albany or any other venue farther away from the students, parents,and coaches.
10/07/2016 8:06:15 AM
Power User
Like any other change/reform, this is going to catch clack but I am excited that we are seeing a viable change for the better from the GHSA. The arguments that have been voiced (travel time, missed school time, etc.) are the driving force behind this according to the GHSA. I am personally excited that my staff and any qualifiers from both the girls and boys teams, and their families, will get to support each other at the same location. Now--I wonder if the GHSA would be willing to take over Prom scheduling, too?
Like any other change/reform, this is going to catch clack but I am excited that we are seeing a viable change for the better from the GHSA.

The arguments that have been voiced (travel time, missed school time, etc.) are the driving force behind this according to the GHSA.

I am personally excited that my staff and any qualifiers from both the girls and boys teams, and their families, will get to support each other at the same location.

Now--I wonder if the GHSA would be willing to take over Prom scheduling, too?
10/07/2016 8:09:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@gawebmaster 8-I There will likely be more coaches & fans at each of these meets than there will be at any other meet in the state. I'm sure that, for some small compensation, you could find someone to take videos & pictures, as well as do post-race analysis.
@gawebmaster There will likely be more coaches & fans at each of these meets than there will be at any other meet in the state. I'm sure that, for some small compensation, you could find someone to take videos & pictures, as well as do post-race analysis.
10/07/2016 8:21:34 AM
Coach
[quote=GACARTER]@gawebmaster There will likely be more coaches & fans at each of these meets than there will be at any other meet in the state. I'm sure that, for some small compensation, you could find someone to take videos & pictures, as well as do post-race analysis.[/quote] @GACARTER agreed
GACARTER wrote:
@gawebmaster There will likely be more coaches & fans at each of these meets than there will be at any other meet in the state. I'm sure that, for some small compensation, you could find someone to take videos & pictures, as well as do post-race analysis.

@GACARTER agreed
10/07/2016 8:54:26 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Bansley2 All I know is that with this change, we will be seeing a "new" state meet and some tweaks to the state meet. I am not sure exactly what those may be, but there will likely be additional tweaks in how the state meet is run at each location. I also don't think there will be any location shifts from year to year as the locations that have been set match both the host school and the general population of schools for each classification.
@Bansley2

All I know is that with this change, we will be seeing a "new" state meet and some tweaks to the state meet. I am not sure exactly what those may be, but there will likely be additional tweaks in how the state meet is run at each location.

I also don't think there will be any location shifts from year to year as the locations that have been set match both the host school and the general population of schools for each classification.
10/07/2016 9:11:21 AM
Power User
The original dates for Region and Sectionals will remain the same.
The original dates for Region and Sectionals will remain the same.
10/07/2016 10:53:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
When will we see the meet schedule and will the schedule of events be consistent at each venue?
When will we see the meet schedule and will the schedule of events be consistent at each venue?
10/07/2016 2:37:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Not sure when the schedules will be done but I can almost assure you they will be somewhat different at each venue for 3 simple reasons: Number of groups at each is different Venues are different in terms of field event facilities Source of volunteer staff is different for each location. I'd imagine there will be an effort it have some standard guidelines but let the hosts work out details appropriate for their site
Not sure when the schedules will be done but I can almost assure you they will be somewhat different at each venue for 3 simple reasons:
Number of groups at each is different
Venues are different in terms of field event facilities
Source of volunteer staff is different for each location.
I'd imagine there will be an effort it have some standard guidelines but let the hosts work out details appropriate for their site
10/08/2016 9:03:09 PM
User
Wow! Kudos to GHSA for doing the right thing! No more "separate but equal" boys/girls treatment, a more relaxed schedule, less travel, more fans! Was this done unilaterally by GHSA, or was at an approval of a proposal put forward by some member to make this change? I know for you coaches, getting to watch all 5/6/7/8/9 classifications compete in each event was considered a good thing, but let me tell you, for partisan fans, that format $ucks. Most fans of one school aren't as savy about the sport as you folks are; their interest is in the kids/school, and for the things they are most interested in watching, everything has just been compacted from 6 days (including 4 work days) down to half that number. Which very likely means more fans will consider it worth the effort to actually attend. BTW, now there is room for the 4x800 and 4x200!! (Maybe those wouldn't be desired by all classifications, but surely the big ones will want them.)
Wow! Kudos to GHSA for doing the right thing! No more "separate but equal" boys/girls treatment, a more relaxed schedule, less travel, more fans!

Was this done unilaterally by GHSA, or was at an approval of a proposal put forward by some member to make this change?

I know for you coaches, getting to watch all 5/6/7/8/9 classifications compete in each event was considered a good thing, but let me tell you, for partisan fans, that format $ucks. Most fans of one school aren't as savy about the sport as you folks are; their interest is in the kids/school, and for the things they are most interested in watching, everything has just been compacted from 6 days (including 4 work days) down to half that number. Which very likely means more fans will consider it worth the effort to actually attend.

BTW, now there is room for the 4x800 and 4x200!! (Maybe those wouldn't be desired by all classifications, but surely the big ones will want them.)

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.