Carrollton Course
09/22/2016 9:59:16 AM
Power User
So reminiscing to my senior year and the other years when Carrollton had the fun little quick band hill that was used last year in the last race due to conditions. I know the Carrollton course changed due to some construction and a few other reasons. I would love for the old layout that had the turn at 400m to go and the small band hill to come back. The times were quicker for sure on the older layout without Separation Slope. I guess this is more for Coach Musgrove, but would love to see what other coaches think!
So reminiscing to my senior year and the other years when Carrollton had the fun little quick band hill that was used last year in the last race due to conditions. I know the Carrollton course changed due to some construction and a few other reasons. I would love for the old layout that had the turn at 400m to go and the small band hill to come back. The times were quicker for sure on the older layout without Separation Slope. I guess this is more for Coach Musgrove, but would love to see what other coaches think!
09/22/2016 11:02:57 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@xcnewbee I would love to see the whole course gone. Nothing personal against Carrollton High School or Coach Musselwhite. I don't like the course at all. And its not about the hills. It's not about the city of Carrollton. That's my hometown. I love it there. I just don't like the layout.
@xcnewbee I would love to see the whole course gone. Nothing personal against Carrollton High School or Coach Musselwhite. I don't like the course at all. And its not about the hills. It's not about the city of Carrollton. That's my hometown. I love it there. I just don't like the layout.
09/22/2016 12:34:06 PM
User
I was impressed with the sight-lines and space available at Berry College, and the terrain would make an excellent course for a cross country championship.
I was impressed with the sight-lines and space available at Berry College, and the terrain would make an excellent course for a cross country championship.
09/22/2016 12:37:43 PM
User
@FloweryBranch Agree. Not particularly spectator friendly and the course runs right through the tent area.
@FloweryBranch Agree. Not particularly spectator friendly and the course runs right through the tent area.
09/22/2016 12:44:16 PM
Power User
@FloweryBranch As much as I agree about venues, I don't want to bring up that battle lol. I'm just saying since we are staying there as far as I can see for the foreseeable future, I'd love to go back to the course before Separation Slope. I'll never forget Girma going 15:01...AT CARROLLTON!!!! With Hubers breaking 16 with mono...crazy day right there! Or the battle of the Emily's (Borsare and Reese).
@FloweryBranch As much as I agree about venues, I don't want to bring up that battle lol. I'm just saying since we are staying there as far as I can see for the foreseeable future, I'd love to go back to the course before Separation Slope. I'll never forget Girma going 15:01...AT CARROLLTON!!!! With Hubers breaking 16 with mono...crazy day right there! Or the battle of the Emily's (Borsare and Reese).
09/22/2016 1:17:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=grahamhuff1]I was impressed with the sight-lines and space available at Berry College, and the terrain would make an excellent course for a cross country championship.[/quote] @grahamhuff1 Not that Carrollton is great in this aspect, but Rome would be a haul for teams located in East and South Georgia. Nash Farms has similar sight lines, is a fair to hard course, and is centrally located. It will always have my vote if there is ever meaningful discussion about a new State venue. To stick to the Carollton topic, I'll always be partial to the late 90's early 2000's course before any of the construction. That course was just brutal. I bombed on it a few times for sure.
grahamhuff1 wrote:

@grahamhuff1

Not that Carrollton is great in this aspect, but Rome would be a haul for teams located in East and South Georgia. Nash Farms has similar sight lines, is a fair to hard course, and is centrally located. It will always have my vote if there is ever meaningful discussion about a new State venue.

To stick to the Carollton topic, I'll always be partial to the late 90's early 2000's course before any of the construction. That course was just brutal. I bombed on it a few times for sure.
09/22/2016 1:40:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=TFCoach16]grahamhuff1I was impressed with the sight-lines and space available at Berry College, and the terrain would make an excellent course for a cross country championship. @grahamhuff1 Not that Carrollton is great in this aspect, but Rome would be a haul for teams located in East and South Georgia. Nash Farms has similar sight lines, is a fair to hard course, and is centrally located. It will always have my vote if there is ever meaningful discussion about a new State venue. To stick to the Carollton topic, I'll always be partial to the late 90's early 2000's course before any of the construction. That course was just brutal. I bombed on it a few times for sure.[/quote] @TFCoach16 Loved the old course when it went in and out of the pine trees that use to sit on the side of that hill!
TFCoach16 wrote:
grahamhuff1I was impressed with the sight-lines and space available at Berry College, and the terrain would make an excellent course for a cross country championship.

@grahamhuff1

Not that Carrollton is great in this aspect, but Rome would be a haul for teams located in East and South Georgia. Nash Farms has similar sight lines, is a fair to hard course, and is centrally located. It will always have my vote if there is ever meaningful discussion about a new State venue.

To stick to the Carollton topic, I'll always be partial to the late 90's early 2000's course before any of the construction. That course was just brutal. I bombed on it a few times for sure.

@TFCoach16 Loved the old course when it went in and out of the pine trees that use to sit on the side of that hill!
09/22/2016 2:26:45 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I didn't mean to deviate from the original topic and I know there has been plenty of discussion before on this board about the Carrollton Course. I think Coach Musselwhite does an awesome job managing the meet. Always has! I love the town, my parents still live there and every time we race there I get to visit. I don't like the course or venue. Being from Carrollton, I am pretty sure there are other places there to host a meet. And there are plenty of places in this state that can host the meet with a great course. For me, the discussion of location of a course in this state has be thrown out. We have a State that is large in area and the centralization of the course is going to be difficult to overcome. Case in point, Football plays all the games for the State Championship at the Dome. For some teams, its not a problem. For others, its a major travel controversy. As one of my close friends always says, "It is what it is!" So, with a separation slope or 400 meter sign, or bring back the pine trees...I don't like the course. We run through a playground around a middle school and an elementary school. There are way too many turns on this course! I don't mind elevation changes, but in my opinion, the turns on this course slows it down. In the recent past, my team has really liked the Aubrae Gunderson course...with the big climb in the last mile.
I didn't mean to deviate from the original topic and I know there has been plenty of discussion before on this board about the Carrollton Course. I think Coach Musselwhite does an awesome job managing the meet. Always has! I love the town, my parents still live there and every time we race there I get to visit. I don't like the course or venue. Being from Carrollton, I am pretty sure there are other places there to host a meet. And there are plenty of places in this state that can host the meet with a great course. For me, the discussion of location of a course in this state has be thrown out. We have a State that is large in area and the centralization of the course is going to be difficult to overcome. Case in point, Football plays all the games for the State Championship at the Dome. For some teams, its not a problem. For others, its a major travel controversy. As one of my close friends always says, "It is what it is!" So, with a separation slope or 400 meter sign, or bring back the pine trees...I don't like the course. We run through a playground around a middle school and an elementary school. There are way too many turns on this course! I don't mind elevation changes, but in my opinion, the turns on this course slows it down. In the recent past, my team has really liked the Aubrae Gunderson course...with the big climb in the last mile.
09/22/2016 5:37:09 PM
Power User
@FloweryBranch Since the course is measured at over 5K, a couple of slight adjustments could be made that would yield a correct distance and a slightly faster course. One of the turns that could be smoothed out in the current configuration is the turn at the end of the first loop after coming down the finishing slope. Instead of running straight down all the way to the sidewalk and then making an abrupt > 90 degree turn, it would be super simple to just run an arching right hand turn that flows better to allow kids to carry more momentum and pace off the hill. You could probably also smooth out of few of the bigger wiggles over in the playground too. As much as I'd like to see changes made, a big part of me hopes that the existing course layout, as long as we are stuck at Carrollton middle school, will stay exactly the same so we all have a way to compare teams and individuals over time. Like Van Cortlandt park.... or Marist's 1.5 mile time trial. Something to be said for "history" in this sport. Coach Griffith
@FloweryBranch Since the course is measured at over 5K, a couple of slight adjustments could be made that would yield a correct distance and a slightly faster course. One of the turns that could be smoothed out in the current configuration is the turn at the end of the first loop after coming down the finishing slope. Instead of running straight down all the way to the sidewalk and then making an abrupt > 90 degree turn, it would be super simple to just run an arching right hand turn that flows better to allow kids to carry more momentum and pace off the hill. You could probably also smooth out of few of the bigger wiggles over in the playground too. As much as I'd like to see changes made, a big part of me hopes that the existing course layout, as long as we are stuck at Carrollton middle school, will stay exactly the same so we all have a way to compare teams and individuals over time. Like Van Cortlandt park.... or Marist's 1.5 mile time trial. Something to be said for "history" in this sport. Coach Griffith
09/22/2016 9:50:29 PM
User
For all the chirp about the state course how many Footlocker finalist on the boys side has Ga produced lately? The boys continue to run great times at a lot of venues throughout Ga, but can't get it done in NC.
For all the chirp about the state course how many Footlocker finalist on the boys side has Ga produced lately? The boys continue to run great times at a lot of venues throughout Ga, but can't get it done in NC.
09/22/2016 9:59:54 PM
Power User
@mcorley The last three years most guys have looked to Nike instead. Pittman, Friedman, and sprague Come to mind. Footlocker had Brickell and Hort I think. That is five national finalists in the last five years I think. I am probably missing a few. Now that we have cleared that away, back to Carrollton.
@mcorley

The last three years most guys have looked to Nike instead. Pittman, Friedman, and sprague Come to mind.

Footlocker had Brickell and Hort I think.

That is five national finalists in the last five years I think.

I am probably missing a few.

Now that we have cleared that away, back to Carrollton.
09/23/2016 12:01:34 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The older course was awesome before they built the school on top of the hill.
The older course was awesome before they built the school on top of the hill.
09/23/2016 6:53:07 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@gawebmaster I agree but unfortunately I am limited with experience as a coach with that course. I starting coaching 2002 and it seemed that shortly after that is when the "new course every other year" began. I seem to remember one year we started on the football practice fields across the road and then transitioned to the loops around the schools. All I really think I was trying to say is I don't like the configuration. I think it is bad course design. But I think they are doing the best they can with the parameters they are offered going around those two schools. I think there are better courses (better course designs) out there. After all, when you are talking XC, the course is everything. Most tracks are 400 meters and you turn left. I mean you could take surface and start/finish line into question for track but not much else is different, especially the flat part.
@gawebmaster I agree but unfortunately I am limited with experience as a coach with that course. I starting coaching 2002 and it seemed that shortly after that is when the "new course every other year" began. I seem to remember one year we started on the football practice fields across the road and then transitioned to the loops around the schools. All I really think I was trying to say is I don't like the configuration. I think it is bad course design. But I think they are doing the best they can with the parameters they are offered going around those two schools. I think there are better courses (better course designs) out there. After all, when you are talking XC, the course is everything. Most tracks are 400 meters and you turn left. I mean you could take surface and start/finish line into question for track but not much else is different, especially the flat part.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.