What is the point?
04/11/2016 12:57:10 PM
User
What is the incentive for state champions to race against one another? I can understand a "dream mile" much better than a meet that invites all of the champions from 1A-6A to come together to race. Most of the top runners have already run against each other; I know that all the top runners have had a chance to go head to head somewhere this season if they so wanted to. Are kids going to skip graduations, senior trips, etc. to meet one more time? Does a "Meet of Champions" really bring the fastest kids together in their respective races? No! What is the Point?
What is the incentive for state champions to race against one another? I can understand a "dream mile" much better than a meet that invites all of the champions from 1A-6A to come together to race. Most of the top runners have already run against each other; I know that all the top runners have had a chance to go head to head somewhere this season if they so wanted to. Are kids going to skip graduations, senior trips, etc. to meet one more time? Does a "Meet of Champions" really bring the fastest kids together in their respective races? No! What is the Point?
04/11/2016 6:18:19 PM
User
Are you sure that all the top runners have had the opportunity to compete against each other? I beg to differ. I guess they could wait until New Balance in June when they are not as sharp or Golden South at the end of May. I happen to like the idea.
Are you sure that all the top runners have had the opportunity to compete against each other? I beg to differ. I guess they could wait until New Balance in June when they are not as sharp or Golden South at the end of May. I happen to like the idea.
04/11/2016 8:29:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The Meet of Champions is an afternoon meet starting at 1PM, so if kids graduate that Saturday, they can still compete. Only a few schools have graduation that day anyway. Many schools are graduating during the week now. Not all the invited athletes will be seniors anyway. If someone want to take a trip or has other plans, that is fine. We want the kids that want to be there to give their top effort. Top 16 Head to Head to see our top talent compete against each other! THAT IS THE POINT!!!
The Meet of Champions is an afternoon meet starting at 1PM, so if kids graduate that Saturday, they can still compete. Only a few schools have graduation that day anyway. Many schools are graduating during the week now. Not all the invited athletes will be seniors anyway. If someone want to take a trip or has other plans, that is fine. We want the kids that want to be there to give their top effort.
Top 16 Head to Head to see our top talent compete against each other!
THAT IS THE POINT!!!
04/11/2016 10:19:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We talk about having a Meet of Champions all during XC season and when someone decides to do it for track and field, someone has to complain. All of the top guys do have the chance to run against one another during the season, but only if their teams schedule works out that way. This is after the season where it's all on them to toe the line.
We talk about having a Meet of Champions all during XC season and when someone decides to do it for track and field, someone has to complain. All of the top guys do have the chance to run against one another during the season, but only if their teams schedule works out that way. This is after the season where it's all on them to toe the line.
04/12/2016 9:44:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think it's a great idea, sure not everyone will be able to do the meet, but if enough athletes and coaches get on board then this could really take off. It gives athletes a chance to compete against the best competition in the state while in peak condition. It also gives them another meet in between state and New Balance Nationals, USATF Juniors, etc.
I think it's a great idea, sure not everyone will be able to do the meet, but if enough athletes and coaches get on board then this could really take off. It gives athletes a chance to compete against the best competition in the state while in peak condition. It also gives them another meet in between state and New Balance Nationals, USATF Juniors, etc.
04/12/2016 10:21:07 AM
User
Year in and year out Georgia produces some of the top athletes in the country. As leaders of the sport we need to be innovative for our athletes. Look at it as our all-star game
Year in and year out Georgia produces some of the top athletes in the country. As leaders of the sport we need to be innovative for our athletes. Look at it as our all-star game
04/12/2016 10:39:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You may not have everyone to compete for various reasons and not have a true race of champions
You may not have everyone to compete for various reasons and not have a true race of champions
04/12/2016 11:02:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
True, but you don't have a true national championship at New Balance Nationals or Footlocker XC either. doesn't mean you don't have those meets. It is about opportunity.
True, but you don't have a true national championship at New Balance Nationals or Footlocker XC either. doesn't mean you don't have those meets. It is about opportunity.
04/12/2016 11:33:23 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It would be great if one of our meets (Coaches Invite?) really stepped up to be THE in season big race where all the top Georgia kids can compete against each other and better region top competitors. This weekend, GA athletes dominated many of the events at Taco Bell and had to drive 4 hours to run against each other. Other states have big meets and GA kids have to travel to find meets where they are sure to get "A type" competition. Florida Relays, FSU Relays, Mobile Meet (AL), Raleigh Relays. So, why not us? Where is our Arcadia? I like the post season meet too. Best kids are peaking late anyway so it is a great chance to go head to head. For the athletes who intend to compete in college, it is a huge advantage to start wrapping their heads around competing against like talented athletes as this will be their college experience. Hard to adjust to a new level of competition when you are clearly the best athlete in your event in the vast majority of your high school events.
It would be great if one of our meets (Coaches Invite?) really stepped up to be THE in season big race where all the top Georgia kids can compete against each other and better region top competitors. This weekend, GA athletes dominated many of the events at Taco Bell and had to drive 4 hours to run against each other. Other states have big meets and GA kids have to travel to find meets where they are sure to get "A type" competition. Florida Relays, FSU Relays, Mobile Meet (AL), Raleigh Relays. So, why not us? Where is our Arcadia?

I like the post season meet too. Best kids are peaking late anyway so it is a great chance to go head to head. For the athletes who intend to compete in college, it is a huge advantage to start wrapping their heads around competing against like talented athletes as this will be their college experience. Hard to adjust to a new level of competition when you are clearly the best athlete in your event in the vast majority of your high school events.
04/12/2016 11:50:10 AM
User
I don't think we should get caught up in the name"Meet of Champions " but rather the top 16 marks and 2 wild cards are indeed represented. On the girls side of things Georgia take a back seat to no one else in the country. I think it would be doing a disservice to the sport and the State of Georgia's female athletes if we do not provide some type of platform for them to be recognized as one of the top six competitors in their events. In my opinion the best preformance trophies at State Meets are the biggest waste of time!
I don't think we should get caught up in the name"Meet of Champions " but rather the top 16 marks and 2 wild cards are indeed represented. On the girls side of things Georgia take a back seat to no one else in the country. I think it would be doing a disservice to the sport and the State of Georgia's female athletes if we do not provide some type of platform for them to be recognized as one of the top six competitors in their events. In my opinion the best preformance trophies at State Meets are the biggest waste of time!
04/12/2016 2:39:44 PM
Coach
Meet directors can attempt to make their meets "THE" meet to go to during the season however they cannot control who actually signs up for and attends the meet. In theory it would be nice for the Coaches Invite to be the premier in season meet however, in the end it is up to the head coach who decides on the meet schedule. As far as the Meet of Champions goes, I agree that it is all about opportunity. People have been wanting this type of meet in track and xc. Now that it is happening hopefully the running community and coaches will embrace it and support it. But again, meet directors/organizers cannot control what other coaches/athletes decide to do. All they can do is invite these athletes to attend and then assemble the best field they can.
Meet directors can attempt to make their meets "THE" meet to go to during the season however they cannot control who actually signs up for and attends the meet. In theory it would be nice for the Coaches Invite to be the premier in season meet however, in the end it is up to the head coach who decides on the meet schedule.
As far as the Meet of Champions goes, I agree that it is all about opportunity. People have been wanting this type of meet in track and xc. Now that it is happening hopefully the running community and coaches will embrace it and support it. But again, meet directors/organizers cannot control what other coaches/athletes decide to do. All they can do is invite these athletes to attend and then assemble the best field they can.
04/12/2016 2:43:04 PM
Power User
I agree, we need a GA "Arcadia." It can be done. It would just take a few coaches from the best programs to agree to compete on the same weekend in early April. It could be the Westminster Relays. It used to be THE meet. Have them add a few open events and make it Friday/Saturday. Coaches Invite is great, but it is just too early in the season for the best marks. If they moved to April I know I would support it as THE meet. We just need the coaches to schedule a meet and get on board with it. It is really only the coaches holding us back here. The Taco Bell meet got too big for its britches (30+ kids in a heat of the 800 in 2015) and it is too close to the Masters/Augusta. I only have a six lane track, but I would be happy to help organize an event elsewhere. In the mean time, good for USATF to finally do something. It can't be ATC only trying to improve the sport. Lets make the meet as good as it can be. Not everyone can go, but it will still be a darn good meet. NBON gets almost no one from west of the Mississippi. It isn't "nationals", but it is a dang good meet and a great opportunity. This MoC can be the same.
I agree, we need a GA "Arcadia." It can be done. It would just take a few coaches from the best programs to agree to compete on the same weekend in early April. It could be the Westminster Relays. It used to be THE meet. Have them add a few open events and make it Friday/Saturday. Coaches Invite is great, but it is just too early in the season for the best marks. If they moved to April I know I would support it as THE meet. We just need the coaches to schedule a meet and get on board with it. It is really only the coaches holding us back here. The Taco Bell meet got too big for its britches (30+ kids in a heat of the 800 in 2015) and it is too close to the Masters/Augusta. I only have a six lane track, but I would be happy to help organize an event elsewhere.

In the mean time, good for USATF to finally do something. It can't be ATC only trying to improve the sport. Lets make the meet as good as it can be. Not everyone can go, but it will still be a darn good meet. NBON gets almost no one from west of the Mississippi. It isn't "nationals", but it is a dang good meet and a great opportunity. This MoC can be the same.
04/12/2016 3:05:38 PM
User
The trouble with early April in Georgia is that is Spring Break for the major public school systems (Gwinnett/Fulton/Cobb/Cherokee, at least), and it's tough to host a huge track meet if the track team parents are all headed to Seaside. I like the Coaches' Invite and think it can be a major event. I'd like to see them stop alternating 1600/3200 and just have the 3200 every year. Last year's boys 3200 was one of the top 3200 races in GA history, with Poteet and Yapp putting up top 10 all-time performances, Bowles at 9:11 (all 3 of those guys ran season bests), 2 more under 9:30, and a bunch more under 9:40. That said, the MoC is a great idea. Kudos to USATF and Marietta for putting it on.
The trouble with early April in Georgia is that is Spring Break for the major public school systems (Gwinnett/Fulton/Cobb/Cherokee, at least), and it's tough to host a huge track meet if the track team parents are all headed to Seaside.

I like the Coaches' Invite and think it can be a major event. I'd like to see them stop alternating 1600/3200 and just have the 3200 every year. Last year's boys 3200 was one of the top 3200 races in GA history, with Poteet and Yapp putting up top 10 all-time performances, Bowles at 9:11 (all 3 of those guys ran season bests), 2 more under 9:30, and a bunch more under 9:40.

That said, the MoC is a great idea. Kudos to USATF and Marietta for putting it on.
04/12/2016 10:43:14 PM
User
I agree that the Coaches Invite is a great race, and it is done right by being held within the season. It is not right to hold a post season race and claim that a non sanctioned meet should determine the true state champion. I see no incentive for anyone to show up at this meet. A few reasons for this are: location, times don't reflect fastest kids, and post season race on graduation day. 1) Location- Marietta has a great track, but why there? If the intent of this meet is to provide all of the champions from different classes an invite to see who is the fastest why not hold this meet in a more central location? Macon is close to the geographic center of Ga. How is this meet encouraging a potential champion from Long Co, or even further to come to it? 2)Look at the rankings and it seems that a girls 3200m race could range from 10:22-13:01. A boys 3200m range from 9:14-11:16. These are just the top eight in each class. Does that seem like a good race? Each champion will have earned that in the class that he/she competed, and are so deserving to have won. 3)A lot of seniors will graduate on the 21. A lot of other seniors will have signed with colleges to run in the fall, and may not participate. A lot of underclassmen will want to go to graduation of senior teammates, so who will run? How will prelims work? With 8 champions, 8 fast times, and an optional 2 wildcards there would have to be 3 heats then finals I guess? This type of meet sounds good on paper, but should be held during the season. GHSA and GISA should award championships and have a system in which to do so. This meet means nothing toward the accomplishments of those who will have won championships this season.
I agree that the Coaches Invite is a great race, and it is done right by being held within the season. It is not right to hold a post season race and claim that a non sanctioned meet should determine the true state champion. I see no incentive for anyone to show up at this meet. A few reasons for this are: location, times don't reflect fastest kids, and post season race on graduation day.
1) Location- Marietta has a great track, but why there? If the intent of this meet is to provide all of the champions from different classes an invite to see who is the fastest why not hold this meet in a more central location? Macon is close to the geographic center of Ga. How is this meet encouraging a potential champion from Long Co, or even further to come to it?
2)Look at the rankings and it seems that a girls 3200m race could range from 10:22-13:01. A boys 3200m range from 9:14-11:16. These are just the top eight in each class. Does that seem like a good race? Each champion will have earned that in the class that he/she competed, and are so deserving to have won.
3)A lot of seniors will graduate on the 21. A lot of other seniors will have signed with colleges to run in the fall, and may not participate. A lot of underclassmen will want to go to graduation of senior teammates, so who will run?
How will prelims work? With 8 champions, 8 fast times, and an optional 2 wildcards there would have to be 3 heats then finals I guess? This type of meet sounds good on paper, but should be held during the season. GHSA and GISA should award championships and have a system in which to do so. This meet means nothing toward the accomplishments of those who will have won championships this season.
04/13/2016 6:39:47 AM
User
Seeing how this is just the first ever MoC let's just see how it turns out first. Many of Georgia elite track athletes compete during the summer. The kids that are involved in XC may not but for the must part many do. The elite senior go on to compete for a opportunity to make the youth national team. Not only Seniors but those who are ages 16 and up. This is a excellent opportunity for our kids. If no one participants thence your reasons would be valid.Lets just see what happens.
Seeing how this is just the first ever MoC let's just see how it turns out first. Many of Georgia elite track athletes compete during the summer. The kids that are involved in XC may not but for the must part many do. The elite senior go on to compete for a opportunity to make the youth national team. Not only Seniors but those who are ages 16 and up. This is a excellent opportunity for our kids. If no one participants thence your reasons would be valid.Lets just see what happens.
04/13/2016 8:40:01 AM
Power User
This event is a long-needed idea and regardless of how it is marketed, I'm in full support of it and want to see it become a premiere event and think that it can in a short amount of time. I think the idea of "let's see who is the TRUE state champion..." is nothing more than showmanship to try and excite people. I think it is more of a chance for the elite kids from all classes to have a chance to go head to head at a peak time in their training, too. I'm very grateful for the coaches/staff at USATF-GA and all the others for working on this to get it in place. One of the things I have been hoping for (and many others) is bringing a meet to our area that has the kind of luster some of the other summer series meets/regional meets have. When the coaches association was in the formative meetings over a year ago, this was one of the ideas that many people have been throwing around. It's hard simply because of the rules we are governed by for post-season meets, training cycles, etc., trying not to conflict with other meets, etc. This is the first year--there are going to be things that have to be changed/revised/considered (including the date), but we finally have a meet on the calendar for those who choose to attend and compete. The coaches invitational is also an incredible meet, and the change in venue this year because of conflicts with Tech still allowed for it to be a tremendous meet. The choices that are made in terms of rotating some events/adding some events (elite 400m this year) is an effort by the meet director and staff to showcase these events. In terms of where it falls on the schedule, I'm not sure how it could be moved any later I know that several host meets, travel to meets, etc., so the sheer amount of effort that is going into developing/staffing/funding is a step forward in progressing our sport and finding a way to showcase the elite athletes from Georgia. Scheduling--the way our season already is in Georgia, there are countless teams who deal with prom, graduation, honors nights. It's become a way of life. I personally think we need to embrace the concept--yes, it's outside of the GHSA outdoor season, but one of the areas that we need to continue to improve upon is the relationship between the high school/middle school coaches, youth/club coaches, USATF-GA and any of the other governing/organizations that support the development of youth track & field/cross country. Let's get this thing going, refine it and start looking at how to include indoor track in the discussion next. There are a lot of people discussing/throwing around ideas about this now, too. We are long overdue for this, too. Just my opinion--sorry for the length. I am still an English teacher, too.
This event is a long-needed idea and regardless of how it is marketed, I'm in full support of it and want to see it become a premiere event and think that it can in a short amount of time.

I think the idea of "let's see who is the TRUE state champion..." is nothing more than showmanship to try and excite people. I think it is more of a chance for the elite kids from all classes to have a chance to go head to head at a peak time in their training, too.

I'm very grateful for the coaches/staff at USATF-GA and all the others for working on this to get it in place.

One of the things I have been hoping for (and many others) is bringing a meet to our area that has the kind of luster some of the other summer series meets/regional meets have.

When the coaches association was in the formative meetings over a year ago, this was one of the ideas that many people have been throwing around. It's hard simply because of the rules we are governed by for post-season meets, training cycles, etc., trying not to conflict with other meets, etc.

This is the first year--there are going to be things that have to be changed/revised/considered (including the date), but we finally have a meet on the calendar for those who choose to attend and compete.

The coaches invitational is also an incredible meet, and the change in venue this year because of conflicts with Tech still allowed for it to be a tremendous meet. The choices that are made in terms of rotating some events/adding some events (elite 400m this year) is an effort by the meet director and staff to showcase these events. In terms of where it falls on the schedule, I'm not sure how it could be moved any later

I know that several host meets, travel to meets, etc., so the sheer amount of effort that is going into developing/staffing/funding is a step forward in progressing our sport and finding a way to showcase the elite athletes from Georgia.

Scheduling--the way our season already is in Georgia, there are countless teams who deal with prom, graduation, honors nights. It's become a way of life.

I personally think we need to embrace the concept--yes, it's outside of the GHSA outdoor season, but one of the areas that we need to continue to improve upon is the relationship between the high school/middle school coaches, youth/club coaches, USATF-GA and any of the other governing/organizations that support the development of youth track & field/cross country.

Let's get this thing going, refine it and start looking at how to include indoor track in the discussion next. There are a lot of people discussing/throwing around ideas about this now, too. We are long overdue for this, too.

Just my opinion--sorry for the length. I am still an English teacher, too.
04/13/2016 9:44:34 AM
Coach
Lead follow or get out of the way! Mcorley we are all pleased that you are not leading the way with your negative attitude. You obviously can not follow. So get out of the way and quit gripping about something that you do not support. Your negative attitude towards someone that is trying to do something positive makes you look bad and pitiful. Stay in your small little world and be happy. But if you do decide to come out into the bigger world QUIT your *complaining* [edited by moderator].
Lead follow or get out of the way!

Mcorley we are all pleased that you are not leading the way with your negative attitude.

You obviously can not follow.

So get out of the way and quit gripping about something that you do not support.

Your negative attitude towards someone that is trying to do something positive makes you look bad and pitiful. Stay in your small little world and be happy.
But if you do decide to come out into the bigger world QUIT your *complaining* .
04/13/2016 10:30:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. We respect that. We believe this meet will help the athletes in Georgia that want to extend their season. This meet will be a lot of fun for everyone. USATF Georgia is not charging an entry fee for the competing athletes and is paying for all costs associated with this meet. Running a meet is very expensive. We want to give back to the State and feel this meet will do that. The meet's Medals are very nice and custom. Each winner will get a champion plaque also. We have a lot in store for these kids. It will be an exciting event. If you feel it is not the right meet for you or your athletes we fully respect that. Many coaches don't send their athlete to New Balance for a variety of reasons. They still have the meet for the athletes that do show. Last year their were over 4000 there. We want to provide a top caliber meet for our kids in our state. Let celebrate our top Boys and Girls talent in one place at one meet. We at USATF are very excited. We hope everyone else just as excited!!
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. We respect that. We believe this meet will help the athletes in Georgia that want to extend their season. This meet will be a lot of fun for everyone. USATF Georgia is not charging an entry fee for the competing athletes and is paying for all costs associated with this meet. Running a meet is very expensive. We want to give back to the State and feel this meet will do that. The meet's Medals are very nice and custom. Each winner will get a champion plaque also. We have a lot in store for these kids. It will be an exciting event.

If you feel it is not the right meet for you or your athletes we fully respect that.
Many coaches don't send their athlete to New Balance for a variety of reasons.
They still have the meet for the athletes that do show. Last year their were over 4000 there.
We want to provide a top caliber meet for our kids in our state. Let celebrate our top Boys and Girls talent in one place at one meet.
We at USATF are very excited. We hope everyone else just as excited!!
04/13/2016 10:40:46 AM
Power User
@THROW_1_DEEP Lets call a spade a spade, 4000 kids at a "national championship" is about making money. On top of that, NBON is 6 weeks after the state meet. Just brutal to be at your best that much after the season. This MoC is close to the state meet, close to home, and will be good for the kids that can compete. Yes, it will be impossible for some kids to come or to double/triple like they would at state, but it is another opportunity to compete. Lets call the meet a "meet of champions" and discontinue seeing "who the real state champion" is and I think that would satisfy everyon. Bigger question: Why can't we get GHSA to sanction it? Wrestling is proposing this already and multiple other states do something similar. I think if our coaches association got behind it that we could make it happen.
@THROW_1_DEEP

Lets call a spade a spade, 4000 kids at a "national championship" is about making money. On top of that, NBON is 6 weeks after the state meet. Just brutal to be at your best that much after the season.

This MoC is close to the state meet, close to home, and will be good for the kids that can compete. Yes, it will be impossible for some kids to come or to double/triple like they would at state, but it is another opportunity to compete. Lets call the meet a "meet of champions" and discontinue seeing "who the real state champion" is and I think that would satisfy everyon.

Bigger question: Why can't we get GHSA to sanction it? Wrestling is proposing this already and multiple other states do something similar. I think if our coaches association got behind it that we could make it happen.
04/13/2016 10:55:54 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think after we have a proof of concept we can go to the GSHA and see if we can get them on board. I think that is a year or two away. We all know some of our state champions will win their classifications easily without being pushed to a top mark or time. This is close enough to the state meet, everyone will still be in top notch shape We hope this meet will provide the competition to allow everyone to preform to their greatest potential!
I think after we have a proof of concept we can go to the GSHA and see if we can get them on board. I think that is a year or two away.

We all know some of our state champions will win their classifications easily without being pushed to a top mark or time. This is close enough to the state meet, everyone will still be in top notch shape
We hope this meet will provide the competition to allow everyone to preform to their greatest potential!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.