New Region Alignments
12/01/2015 3:07:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Link to new regions before lateral transfer appeals: http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/executive-committee/Classes_with_Regions_for_2015-17.pdf
Link to new regions before lateral transfer appeals:

http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/files/documents/executive-committee/Classes_with_Regions_for_2015-17.pdf
12/01/2015 3:51:07 PM
User
Taking a quick scan, a couple of pretty tough cross country regions are: 7A - Region 5 (6) Forsyth Central 2166 Lambert 2973 Milton 2180 North Forsyth 2415 South Forsyth 2948 West Forsyth 2422 6A - Region 7 (9) Alpharetta 2033 Cambridge 1984 Chattahoochee 1953 Centennial 1938 Dunwoody 1697 Johns Creek 2076 North Atlanta 1734 Northview 1908 Pope 1982 In addition, Lakeside Dekalb gets thrown in with Brookwood/Norcross/Parkview. Finally, I believe for the ball sports, if a region has 4 teams, it will have 3 playoff qualifiers. There is one region that fits that description - 7A Region 1.
Taking a quick scan, a couple of pretty tough cross country regions are:

7A - Region 5 (6)
Forsyth Central 2166
Lambert 2973
Milton 2180
North Forsyth 2415
South Forsyth 2948
West Forsyth 2422

6A - Region 7 (9)
Alpharetta 2033
Cambridge 1984
Chattahoochee 1953
Centennial 1938
Dunwoody 1697
Johns Creek 2076
North Atlanta 1734
Northview 1908
Pope 1982

In addition, Lakeside Dekalb gets thrown in with Brookwood/Norcross/Parkview.

Finally, I believe for the ball sports, if a region has 4 teams, it will have 3 playoff qualifiers. There is one region that fits that description - 7A Region 1.
12/01/2015 10:33:55 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator I guess the Roswell-Milton rivalry is done, even though the schools are 3 miles apart but in different regions. Wheeler is within 4 miles of Walton & Lassiter but not in the same region. Alpharetta had more than 3% of their students from outside their district but yet got to play DOWN to 6A?? Did they win their appeal? Are you kidding me?? GHSA got some right but a lot wrong, especially with our sports of xc and T&F. Sectionals for T&F could be interesting, in 7A where do they draw the lines now??
@ExcelOrator
I guess the Roswell-Milton rivalry is done, even though the schools are 3 miles apart but in different regions.
Wheeler is within 4 miles of Walton & Lassiter but not in the same region.
Alpharetta had more than 3% of their students from outside their district but yet got to play DOWN to 6A?? Did they win their appeal? Are you kidding me??
GHSA got some right but a lot wrong, especially with our sports of xc and T&F. Sectionals for T&F could be interesting, in 7A where do they draw the lines now??
12/01/2015 11:15:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Try building a rivalry with schools an hour away.
12/02/2015 7:33:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I believe there was a ceiling that prevented schools with more than 3% of their population out of county from being bumped in to the biggest classification. So if you are a AAAAAA school by the initial count, there is no out of county penalty. I believe there was a similar rule that keeps class A schools in class A without consideration of their out of county populations.
I believe there was a ceiling that prevented schools with more than 3% of their population out of county from being bumped in to the biggest classification. So if you are a AAAAAA school by the initial count, there is no out of county penalty.

I believe there was a similar rule that keeps class A schools in class A without consideration of their out of county populations.
12/02/2015 7:57:56 AM
User
This may not be a popular post. At some point someone needs to remind the GHSA that these are STUDENT-athletes, not athletes who inconveniently need to go to the occasional class. Someone please explain to me what we gain by having Marist drive 60+ miles one way to play White County in a region basketball game on a Tuesday night. Or St. Pius to North Oconee. Or Dalton to South Cobb. Or Wheeler to Newnan. Oh, that's right. More football trophies. Awesome. Imagine you're the parent of a White County student. His or her friends play basketball and the regular season will be determined by the game at Marist. You want them driving to support their team?
This may not be a popular post.

At some point someone needs to remind the GHSA that these are STUDENT-athletes, not athletes who inconveniently need to go to the occasional class.

Someone please explain to me what we gain by having Marist drive 60+ miles one way to play White County in a region basketball game on a Tuesday night. Or St. Pius to North Oconee. Or Dalton to South Cobb. Or Wheeler to Newnan.

Oh, that's right. More football trophies. Awesome.

Imagine you're the parent of a White County student. His or her friends play basketball and the regular season will be determined by the game at Marist. You want them driving to support their team?
12/02/2015 9:39:28 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator I don't think it's an unpopular post at all. I think most people on here would agree with you. I think it's clear that going to 8 classifications like this is a result of people complaining that competition isn't fair so GHSA spread things out more and forced certain schools up. (side note I actually strongly encourage them forcing schools to play up, but think the number should be 10%, not 3%). I think they realized how much more money they made by going to 7 classifications, so why not keep adding them? An extra classification is another 32 teams per sport in the playoffs! That's alot of money! Now we have more teams going to state playoffs than not. As for the 4A situation. Supposedly they had two plans. Plan A was to have Pius, Marist, Woodward, and BT in a region on their own. Plan B was to split them all up into different regions. They obviously went with plan B. I'm thrilled with my region though! What an advantage to be in Jefferson's region for track! (ps, that shouldn't matter but we all know it does with that goofy track...)
@ExcelOrator

I don't think it's an unpopular post at all. I think most people on here would agree with you. I think it's clear that going to 8 classifications like this is a result of people complaining that competition isn't fair so GHSA spread things out more and forced certain schools up. (side note I actually strongly encourage them forcing schools to play up, but think the number should be 10%, not 3%).

I think they realized how much more money they made by going to 7 classifications, so why not keep adding them? An extra classification is another 32 teams per sport in the playoffs! That's alot of money! Now we have more teams going to state playoffs than not.

As for the 4A situation. Supposedly they had two plans. Plan A was to have Pius, Marist, Woodward, and BT in a region on their own. Plan B was to split them all up into different regions. They obviously went with plan B. I'm thrilled with my region though! What an advantage to be in Jefferson's region for track! (ps, that shouldn't matter but we all know it does with that goofy track...)
12/02/2015 10:19:28 AM
Power User
4A state meet ... wow. Marist, Pius, Blessed Trinity, Woodward North Oconee, Heritage-Catoosa, White, Chestatee, Oconee, Jefferson, Pickens, LaGrange, Perry, Gilmer, Sandy Creek, and everybody else I am probably leaving out.
4A state meet ... wow.

Marist, Pius, Blessed Trinity, Woodward

North Oconee, Heritage-Catoosa, White, Chestatee, Oconee, Jefferson, Pickens, LaGrange, Perry, Gilmer, Sandy Creek, and everybody else I am probably leaving out.
12/02/2015 11:42:59 AM
Coach
[quote=trailcat]Try building a rivalry with schools an hour away.[/quote] @trailcat This is known as "business as usual" for all of us outside of Atlanta. A little travel will do all of you some good.
railcat wrote:

@trailcat

This is known as "business as usual" for all of us outside of Atlanta. A little travel will do all of you some good.
12/02/2015 11:46:08 AM
Coach
60+ miles is not very far at all. As I responded to a previous post, that is just business as usual for schools outside the metro area. Not to say the overall plan is or is not complete poop, it just is not poop based solely on travel distances. [quote=ExcelOrator]This may not be a popular post. At some point someone needs to remind the GHSA that these are STUDENT-athletes, not athletes who inconveniently need to go to the occasional class. Someone please explain to me what we gain by having Marist drive 60+ miles one way to play White County in a region basketball game on a Tuesday night. Or St. Pius to North Oconee. Or Dalton to South Cobb. Or Wheeler to Newnan. Oh, that's right. More football trophies. Awesome. Imagine you're the parent of a White County student. His or her friends play basketball and the regular season will be determined by the game at Marist. You want them driving to support their team?[/quote] @ExcelOrator
60+ miles is not very far at all. As I responded to a previous post, that is just business as usual for schools outside the metro area. Not to say the overall plan is or is not complete poop, it just is not poop based solely on travel distances.

ExcelOrator wrote:
This may not be a popular post.

At some point someone needs to remind the GHSA that these are STUDENT-athletes, not athletes who inconveniently need to go to the occasional class.

Someone please explain to me what we gain by having Marist drive 60+ miles one way to play White County in a region basketball game on a Tuesday night. Or St. Pius to North Oconee. Or Dalton to South Cobb. Or Wheeler to Newnan.

Oh, that's right. More football trophies. Awesome.

Imagine you're the parent of a White County student. His or her friends play basketball and the regular season will be determined by the game at Marist. You want them driving to support their team?

@ExcelOrator
12/02/2015 12:28:42 PM
User
@Uncle_Elvis There is a difference between an inherent problem and a created one. Valdosta High School probably has a total of 10 other Georgia high schools within 60 or so miles of campus. Of course it will need to travel to play sports against teams reasonably close to it in size. Marist probably has 200 high schools within 60 miles of campus, including St. Pius, which is about 5 miles away and in the same classification. So do Wheeler, and South Cobb, and St. Pius, and every other school in metro Atlanta. There are many, many options for building regions that do not require a 50-60 mile or higher commute. Of course, a 60+ mile commute after school for any metro Atlanta school also includes time spent fighting metro Atlanta rush hour traffic, which is not an issue for south Georgia schools.
@Uncle_Elvis

There is a difference between an inherent problem and a created one.

Valdosta High School probably has a total of 10 other Georgia high schools within 60 or so miles of campus. Of course it will need to travel to play sports against teams reasonably close to it in size.

Marist probably has 200 high schools within 60 miles of campus, including St. Pius, which is about 5 miles away and in the same classification. So do Wheeler, and South Cobb, and St. Pius, and every other school in metro Atlanta. There are many, many options for building regions that do not require a 50-60 mile or higher commute.

Of course, a 60+ mile commute after school for any metro Atlanta school also includes time spent fighting metro Atlanta rush hour traffic, which is not an issue for south Georgia schools.
12/02/2015 2:09:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
With smaller regions you will have fewer forced or required match ups. Make your other 5 match-ups very local schools. We are going 110+ miles from Conyers to Augusta. For football that is two 110+ mile trips a season. The good news is we have a chance to pick up games against local teams and natural rivals. Thanks GHSA for some flexibility in scheduling.
With smaller regions you will have fewer forced or required match ups. Make your other 5 match-ups very local schools.

We are going 110+ miles from Conyers to Augusta. For football that is two 110+ mile trips a season. The good news is we have a chance to pick up games against local teams and natural rivals.

Thanks GHSA for some flexibility in scheduling.
12/02/2015 2:11:23 PM
Coach
@ExcelOrator We have way more than 10. All the metro schools you mentioned do as well. For Region competitions though, we have to travel. Always have. More than likely, always will. Now, all the northerners are in the same/similar boat. Look, I am the coach. I make my schedule. I have more than enough meets in the area to keep travel expenses low. The actual Region event is the only meet that may require substantial travel. I do not understand other coaches' concerns with scheduling for our sports. Unlike stick and ball sports, we do not have to adhere to a nonregion/region schedule. In fact, I would prefer not to race my region cohorts every Saturday (or Tuesday). It is not as if the new alignments mean you cannot take your teams to all the same events you have attended in previous years. The new regions do not hurt any rivalry games in any sport. Valdosta will still play Lowndes and Colquitt in sports, but in nonregion games. No biggie. As for metro traffic versus South traffic: any interstate, no matter how congested, is better than Valdosta to Camden on a two lane road during harvest season. Ultimately, the only way to make everyone happy (or at least the majority of us) is for each sport to have its own classification system that is unique to that sport. Unfortunately, I do not foresee that ever happening.
@ExcelOrator

We have way more than 10. All the metro schools you mentioned do as well. For Region competitions though, we have to travel. Always have. More than likely, always will. Now, all the northerners are in the same/similar boat.

Look, I am the coach. I make my schedule. I have more than enough meets in the area to keep travel expenses low. The actual Region event is the only meet that may require substantial travel. I do not understand other coaches' concerns with scheduling for our sports. Unlike stick and ball sports, we do not have to adhere to a nonregion/region schedule. In fact, I would prefer not to race my region cohorts every Saturday (or Tuesday). It is not as if the new alignments mean you cannot take your teams to all the same events you have attended in previous years. The new regions do not hurt any rivalry games in any sport. Valdosta will still play Lowndes and Colquitt in sports, but in nonregion games. No biggie.

As for metro traffic versus South traffic: any interstate, no matter how congested, is better than Valdosta to Camden on a two lane road during harvest season.

Ultimately, the only way to make everyone happy (or at least the majority of us) is for each sport to have its own classification system that is unique to that sport. Unfortunately, I do not foresee that ever happening.
12/02/2015 2:11:51 PM
Coach
@patriotxc EXACTLY! Thank you.
@patriotxc

EXACTLY! Thank you.
12/02/2015 2:46:51 PM
User
@Uncle_Elvis My concern is as a parent and taxpayer, and it involves all sports, not just track and field. My basic premise is simple: we should have as many high school sports competitions as close to home as can reasonably be expected. We should think about this basic premise when we set our classifications and regions. How many schools are there in Fulton County? Milton is now in a region in which they're the only school in their own county. Every time they go to a region game, they'll drive past Roswell, Alpharetta, Northview, Centennial, Cambridge, etc. (schools that are within 3% - 10% of Milton's enrollment size), to go to Forsyth County to play schools that are up to 36% larger than Milton. How many schools are there in Cobb County? Pope is now in a region in which they're the only school in Cobb. So they'll play 8 football games, and 16 basketball games, all farther away than Lassiter, Sprayberry, Wheeler, Harrison, Allatoona, etc. (schools within 15%, plus or minus, of Pope's size). Pope can play 20% of its schedule against natural rivals - but they are stuck with that other 80%. Marist volunteered to play up in 4A, and as its thank you got zero of its current region rivals. Zero. Yes, I understand they can schedule St. Pius non-region, but who thinks Marist going to White County and St. Pius going to North Oconee is the best plan, instead of White County vs. North Oconee and Marist vs. St. Pius? Is the GHSA sponsored by QT?
@Uncle_Elvis

My concern is as a parent and taxpayer, and it involves all sports, not just track and field.

My basic premise is simple: we should have as many high school sports competitions as close to home as can reasonably be expected. We should think about this basic premise when we set our classifications and regions.

How many schools are there in Fulton County? Milton is now in a region in which they're the only school in their own county. Every time they go to a region game, they'll drive past Roswell, Alpharetta, Northview, Centennial, Cambridge, etc. (schools that are within 3% - 10% of Milton's enrollment size), to go to Forsyth County to play schools that are up to 36% larger than Milton.

How many schools are there in Cobb County? Pope is now in a region in which they're the only school in Cobb. So they'll play 8 football games, and 16 basketball games, all farther away than Lassiter, Sprayberry, Wheeler, Harrison, Allatoona, etc. (schools within 15%, plus or minus, of Pope's size). Pope can play 20% of its schedule against natural rivals - but they are stuck with that other 80%.

Marist volunteered to play up in 4A, and as its thank you got zero of its current region rivals. Zero. Yes, I understand they can schedule St. Pius non-region, but who thinks Marist going to White County and St. Pius going to North Oconee is the best plan, instead of White County vs. North Oconee and Marist vs. St. Pius? Is the GHSA sponsored by QT?
12/02/2015 3:36:39 PM
Coach
@ExcelOrator My bad! I was looking at it from a different angle than you are. As a taxpayer and parent, then none of this makes sense. I 100% understand splitting schools into classifications based on student population size for athletic competitions. More kids=larger talent pool, etc. From a sheer money saving, play against the kids in your neighborhood standpoint, then less classifications and true geographic regions is more sensible. Look at what the Savannah schools have done historically. Until fairly recently, they all played in the same classification. I graduated from Glynn Academy in the 90s, we were in a 15 school region because all the Savannah schools played up for the reasons you mentioned. On a side note, is Milton (or any other school you mentioned) not considering a region transfer/appeal?
@ExcelOrator

My bad! I was looking at it from a different angle than you are. As a taxpayer and parent, then none of this makes sense. I 100% understand splitting schools into classifications based on student population size for athletic competitions. More kids=larger talent pool, etc. From a sheer money saving, play against the kids in your neighborhood standpoint, then less classifications and true geographic regions is more sensible. Look at what the Savannah schools have done historically. Until fairly recently, they all played in the same classification. I graduated from Glynn Academy in the 90s, we were in a 15 school region because all the Savannah schools played up for the reasons you mentioned.

On a side note, is Milton (or any other school you mentioned) not considering a region transfer/appeal?
12/02/2015 4:59:59 PM
Coach
You know something is phishy when St Pius joins region 8. good luck making it to athens for kick off on fridays lol
You know something is phishy when St Pius joins region 8. good luck making it to athens for kick off on fridays lol
12/02/2015 5:17:02 PM
User
@Uncle_Elvis Travel from the metropolis? Why? They are fully self contained up there! Why let high school students see anything other than pavement? As for travel and rivalries, they should remain the same as always. Bleckley Co. has been chasing metro schools for years, and I don't imagine a classification and region realignment will change that. Travel is part of the game for us in the south; I know our kids see things in the big city some have never seen before. Would the metro kids see things they have never seen if they travel? Not all education happens in a classroom and not all sports experiences come from the field.
@Uncle_Elvis Travel from the metropolis? Why? They are fully self contained up there! Why let high school students see anything other than pavement? As for travel and rivalries, they should remain the same as always. Bleckley Co. has been chasing metro schools for years, and I don't imagine a classification and region realignment will change that. Travel is part of the game for us in the south; I know our kids see things in the big city some have never seen before. Would the metro kids see things they have never seen if they travel? Not all education happens in a classroom and not all sports experiences come from the field.
12/02/2015 7:31:29 PM
User
@ExcelOrator While the inclusion of Milton in the new "Forsyth County" 7A region puzzles me as well, I doubt any of those schools are more than 30 minutes apart, tops. Hardly a hardship compared to a lot of others in GA. And Milton won't have to drive by Northview to get to any of those FC schools. :-]I suppose there has to be a cutoff somewhere in regards to size. As a grad of Roswell HS I also think splitting up the long standing rivalry with Milton is a mistake. But I look forward to the high powered XC region this will produce.
@ExcelOrator

While the inclusion of Milton in the new "Forsyth County" 7A region puzzles me as well, I doubt any of those schools are more than 30 minutes apart, tops. Hardly a hardship compared to a lot of others in GA. And Milton won't have to drive by Northview to get to any of those FC schools. I suppose there has to be a cutoff somewhere in regards to size. As a grad of Roswell HS I also think splitting up the long standing rivalry with Milton is a mistake. But I look forward to the high powered XC region this will produce.
12/03/2015 7:51:42 AM
Coach
@mcorley Thank you, I was getting a little worried I was the only one on the board thinking this.
@mcorley

Thank you, I was getting a little worried I was the only one on the board thinking this.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.