Reclassification update
11/18/2015 4:00:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Reclassification update http://www.ghsa.net/classification-breakdowns-minutes-meeting
Reclassification update

http://www.ghsa.net/classification-breakdowns-minutes-meeting
11/18/2015 6:56:52 PM
Power User
I'm very interested to hear the plan of how it is going to affect the non "ball" sports. I think it's going to be a nightmare, and I expect the classifications will stand for all sports moving forward. I have not heard this, I'm just speculating.
I'm very interested to hear the plan of how it is going to affect the non "ball" sports.

I think it's going to be a nightmare, and I expect the classifications will stand for all sports moving forward. I have not heard this, I'm just speculating.
11/18/2015 7:05:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From what I understand, its for all sports
From what I understand, its for all sports
11/18/2015 7:14:21 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
And if it isn't for all non ball sports. I am certain it will be for Track and XC
And if it isn't for all non ball sports. I am certain it will be for Track and XC
11/18/2015 7:17:38 PM
Power User
I think it would create a logistical nightmare to have "this is for ball sports" this is for the "other sports" in terms of competition, scheduling, etc. 7 classes is going to make the state meet argument can't on fire again very soon.
I think it would create a logistical nightmare to have "this is for ball sports" this is for the "other sports" in terms of competition, scheduling, etc.

7 classes is going to make the state meet argument can't on fire again very soon.
11/18/2015 7:30:09 PM
Coach
I am just trying to imagine how Carrollton will be with 7 classes if we have weather like we had this year. Or something similar.
I am just trying to imagine how Carrollton will be with 7 classes if we have weather like we had this year. Or something similar.
11/18/2015 7:30:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It is for all sports that are region sports, sports that are area sports will have different classes.
It is for all sports that are region sports, sports that are area sports will have different classes.
11/18/2015 8:03:13 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@jotadashi Try 8 Classes (16 races at state for XC)...NO WAY!, esp in 1-Day: 1A Public 1A Private AA AAA AAAA AAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAA
@jotadashi
Try 8 Classes (16 races at state for XC)...NO WAY!, esp in 1-Day:
1A Public
1A Private
AA
AAA
AAAA
AAAAA
AAAAAA
AAAAAAA
11/18/2015 8:07:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@BrianRobinson Here is what GHSA posted on this in late September: Here are the basic components of the plan: Seven classifications, with a public / private split (for playoffs) in the smallest division. There would be eight championships in the “power ranked” sports of football, softball, basketball and baseball. The number of championships in other sports and activities would be decided by the GHSA office. The classification made up of the largest schools would contain approximately 44 schools (about 10% of the membership). Based on this, it would appear that only football, basketball, softball, and baseball would have 8 classifications. However, the next line makes it possible that other sports might also be included based on the GHSA's whim. I guess that we will just have to wait and see.
@BrianRobinson

Here is what GHSA posted on this in late September:

Here are the basic components of the plan:

Seven classifications, with a public / private split (for playoffs) in the smallest division.
There would be eight championships in the "power ranked" sports of football, softball, basketball and baseball.
The number of championships in other sports and activities would be decided by the GHSA office.
The classification made up of the largest schools would contain approximately 44 schools (about 10% of the membership).

Based on this, it would appear that only football, basketball, softball, and baseball would have 8 classifications. However, the next line makes it possible that other sports might also be included based on the GHSA's whim. I guess that we will just have to wait and see.
11/18/2015 8:09:33 PM
Power User
No waiting. Track will be in this, too.
No waiting.

Track will be in this, too.
11/18/2015 8:18:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I got Coach Robinson as early leader in 6A
I got Coach Robinson as early leader in 6A
11/18/2015 9:48:53 PM
Coach
@acarr6453 agreed. Can't imagine 16 races...
@acarr6453 agreed. Can't imagine 16 races...
11/19/2015 12:25:39 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Run A together and separate the results, lol..
11/19/2015 5:57:57 AM
Power User
A few years ago we had five classes. There was "no room in the schedule for a 4x8" at the time due to the nature of our state track meets. We have subsequently added three classes and countless heats of every event in just a few years. "No room in the schedule".
A few years ago we had five classes. There was "no room in the schedule for a 4x8" at the time due to the nature of our state track meets.

We have subsequently added three classes and countless heats of every event in just a few years.

"No room in the schedule".
11/19/2015 6:25:51 AM
Coach
[quote=gawebmaster]Run A together and separate the results, lol..[/quote] @gawebmaster Better yet, run A together and leave it be!
gawebmaster wrote:

@gawebmaster Better yet, run A together and leave it be!
11/19/2015 10:03:21 AM
User
[quote=ParkviewTrack]I think it would create a logistical nightmare to have "this is for ball sports" this is for the "other sports" in terms of competition, scheduling, etc. 7 classes is going to make the state meet argument can't on fire again very soon.[/quote] @ParkviewTrack Lots of other states have more championship classes in football than in other sports. Texas, North Carolina, and Ohio are three examples. However, those states have governing bodies that set the classes for other sports. GHSA does not seem willing to do that, and because they reclassify every two years, I agree with you that it would absolutely be a logistical nightmare to try to set different classes for other sports. This is a whole lot of upheaval to move 15 or so teams down a class from the giant schools, and to formalize a punishment for Buford and the private schools. I'm interested to see the plan for track and cross country. I wonder if Class A will be shipped to Macon in XC again. I'm also interested to see who will decide to play up. My guess is Valdosta and Marist, and that's it.
ParkviewTrack wrote:
I think it would create a logistical nightmare to have "this is for ball sports" this is for the "other sports" in terms of competition, scheduling, etc.

7 classes is going to make the state meet argument can't on fire again very soon.

@ParkviewTrack

Lots of other states have more championship classes in football than in other sports. Texas, North Carolina, and Ohio are three examples.

However, those states have governing bodies that set the classes for other sports. GHSA does not seem willing to do that, and because they reclassify every two years, I agree with you that it would absolutely be a logistical nightmare to try to set different classes for other sports.

This is a whole lot of upheaval to move 15 or so teams down a class from the giant schools, and to formalize a punishment for Buford and the private schools.

I'm interested to see the plan for track and cross country. I wonder if Class A will be shipped to Macon in XC again.

I'm also interested to see who will decide to play up. My guess is Valdosta and Marist, and that's it.
11/19/2015 11:38:58 AM
Power User
@ExcelOrator I'm aware. NC started that model the year after I left and came to GA. Unless something has changed per discussions held yesterday, all region sports will fall under the same window as the 7 classes for football. @Heintz, I agree. The issue that will probably come up now about the 4x8 is that not enough regions are running it as an "exhibition."
@ExcelOrator

I'm aware. NC started that model the year after I left and came to GA.

Unless something has changed per discussions held yesterday, all region sports will fall under the same window as the 7 classes for football.

@Heintz, I agree. The issue that will probably come up now about the 4x8 is that not enough regions are running it as an "exhibition."
11/19/2015 11:48:02 AM
Power User
@ExcelOrator The truth is that the "punishment" is non-existent. Those schools bumped up are now actually only 50 kids away from the class ahead of them when looking at their current enrollment! Bufurd has 50 fewer kids than the smallest school in 5A. Same with many of the privates (like us). No punishment at all in my mind or at least a negligible difference. This is especially true in light of how many appeals were won in the lower classifications. How many public schools with outside enrollments get to stay right where they are? Take a look, you can find dozens of appeals that were accepted. We need different classifications for different sports. It happens in some sports already, why not more? It wouldn't be THAT difficult. We will now be taking ~50% of all schools to the XC state meet! At least we have these for four years and not two. Maybe we can form a rivalry with someone now. A final note, no privates in A/AA anymore. None in 5A or 6A or gosh darnit, this thing called 7A. We are now one step closer to having a "private league" and a "public league".
@ExcelOrator

The truth is that the "punishment" is non-existent. Those schools bumped up are now actually only 50 kids away from the class ahead of them when looking at their current enrollment! Bufurd has 50 fewer kids than the smallest school in 5A. Same with many of the privates (like us). No punishment at all in my mind or at least a negligible difference. This is especially true in light of how many appeals were won in the lower classifications. How many public schools with outside enrollments get to stay right where they are? Take a look, you can find dozens of appeals that were accepted.

We need different classifications for different sports. It happens in some sports already, why not more? It wouldn't be THAT difficult.

We will now be taking ~50% of all schools to the XC state meet!

At least we have these for four years and not two. Maybe we can form a rivalry with someone now.

A final note, no privates in A/AA anymore. None in 5A or 6A or gosh darnit, this thing called 7A. We are now one step closer to having a "private league" and a "public league".
11/19/2015 12:08:24 PM
User
@MaristXCcoach Agreed this all seems to have been about clearing 2A of the private schools - however, Benedictine and St. Vincent's won their appeals so there will be two private schools in 2A. edited to add: of course the GHSA reclassifcation is 100% about football and nothing else. Too bad, because we're missing out on what could have been a fun rivalry in 2A. I enjoyed seeing Bleckley take on the private schools this year, and next fall would have been fun.
@MaristXCcoach

Agreed this all seems to have been about clearing 2A of the private schools - however, Benedictine and St. Vincent's won their appeals so there will be two private schools in 2A.

edited to add: of course the GHSA reclassifcation is 100% about football and nothing else. Too bad, because we're missing out on what could have been a fun rivalry in 2A. I enjoyed seeing Bleckley take on the private schools this year, and next fall would have been fun.
11/30/2015 1:35:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Requests to move up a classification: From A to AA Johnson-Augusta, Davidson Fine Arts, Technical Career Magnet School, BEST Academy, Coretta Scott King From A to AAA Pace Academy From AA to AAA Groves, Johnson-Savannah, McNair, Savannah, Savannah Arts, Union County From AAA to AAAA Henry County, Marist From AAAA to AAAAA Carver-Atlanta, Columbia, Decatur, Hampton, Morrow, Riverdale, Southwest DeKalb From AAAAA to AAAAAA Forest Park, Mt. Zion-Jonesboro, M.L. King, Stephenson Schools will be placed into regions tomorrow.
Requests to move up a classification:

From A to AA Johnson-Augusta, Davidson Fine Arts, Technical Career Magnet School, BEST Academy, Coretta Scott King

From A to AAA Pace Academy

From AA to AAA Groves, Johnson-Savannah, McNair, Savannah, Savannah Arts, Union County

From AAA to AAAA Henry County, Marist

From AAAA to AAAAA Carver-Atlanta, Columbia, Decatur, Hampton, Morrow, Riverdale, Southwest DeKalb

From AAAAA to AAAAAA Forest Park, Mt. Zion-Jonesboro, M.L. King, Stephenson

Schools will be placed into regions tomorrow.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.