Atlanta Track Club Changes Process of Selecting All-Metro Cross Country Runners
10/20/2014 10:32:01 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
[url=http://ga.milesplit.com/articles/137846-changes-to-the-2014-all-metro-cross-country-banquet-and-awards-selection-process#.VEXE__l4rfE]Read All About It[/url] and the Public Vote counts 20% !
Read All About It and the Public Vote counts 20% !
10/20/2014 11:16:16 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Love and appreciate the ATCs investment and involvement in high school running. Have been around the ATC for decades and am proud to have such a strong running organization in Atlanta. The new director has a ton ideas which seem to be geared towards bringing fresh energy into the local Atlanta running scene. Props to Rich and the ATC. Do not wish to sound ungrateful, but not sure about the vote thing. Hopefully awards choices won't really be impacted by voting, and close calls be determined based upon which schools can whip up the most votes for their favorite guys and girls. Feels like a voting component, even if it is only 20%, pushes a pretty significant advantage towards large schools and the larger XC programs. The fact that performances in running are not subjective is one of the things that makes our sport what it is. Runners don't have judges like in gymnastics, diving and figure skating to tell us if we are good. We bust our tails and each athlete's results in races speak for themselves. You either beat your competition on a consistent basis or you didn't. How well liked you are, how big an XC team you have and how fired up your school student body and parents are to promote your accomplishments doesn't change the results. You were either fast or you weren't. Voting sounds like a fun way to generate interest for the awards and potentially there is some validity to the concept that having voting might raise the stature and level of interest at schools beyond just the hard core dedicated cross country kids and their parents. Maybe that good is worthy objective. Part of me, however, just has this nagging thought that popularity contests are a better option for things like homecoming queen than they are for helping to determine the All Metro XC award winners. I could be wrong. Heck, at the beginning of the season, I thought the Braves would make the playoffs. Thanks again to the ATC for their support of high school track and cross country.
Love and appreciate the ATCs investment and involvement in high school running. Have been around the ATC for decades and am proud to have such a strong running organization in Atlanta. The new director has a ton ideas which seem to be geared towards bringing fresh energy into the local Atlanta running scene. Props to Rich and the ATC.

Do not wish to sound ungrateful, but not sure about the vote thing. Hopefully awards choices won't really be impacted by voting, and close calls be determined based upon which schools can whip up the most votes for their favorite guys and girls. Feels like a voting component, even if it is only 20%, pushes a pretty significant advantage towards large schools and the larger XC programs.

The fact that performances in running are not subjective is one of the things that makes our sport what it is. Runners don't have judges like in gymnastics, diving and figure skating to tell us if we are good. We bust our tails and each athlete's results in races speak for themselves. You either beat your competition on a consistent basis or you didn't. How well liked you are, how big an XC team you have and how fired up your school student body and parents are to promote your accomplishments doesn't change the results. You were either fast or you weren't.

Voting sounds like a fun way to generate interest for the awards and potentially there is some validity to the concept that having voting might raise the stature and level of interest at schools beyond just the hard core dedicated cross country kids and their parents. Maybe that good is worthy objective. Part of me, however, just has this nagging thought that popularity contests are a better option for things like homecoming queen than they are for helping to determine the All Metro XC award winners. I could be wrong. Heck, at the beginning of the season, I thought the Braves would make the playoffs.

Thanks again to the ATC for their support of high school track and cross country.
10/21/2014 8:08:47 AM
User
Agree 100% with Crossfan. Many of these young athletes have chosen running because other sports are riddled with "influence peddling". Running/racing in it's purest form is simply a matter of "who beat who", and at the risk of touching on a sensitive subject "finishing time"... see some of the MEGA threads over that past couple weeks. On the track.... 10:00 is ALWAYS faster than 10:01. This is also true (albeit more complicated) in XC. I too am concerned with Ballot Box Stuffing, from big school, small school or otherwise "well connected". My $.02
Agree 100% with Crossfan. Many of these young athletes have chosen running because other sports are riddled with "influence peddling". Running/racing in it's purest form is simply a matter of "who beat who", and at the risk of touching on a sensitive subject "finishing time"... see some of the MEGA threads over that past couple weeks. On the track.... 10:00 is ALWAYS faster than 10:01. This is also true (albeit more complicated) in XC. I too am concerned with Ballot Box Stuffing, from big school, small school or otherwise "well connected".

My $.02
10/21/2014 9:02:16 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Thank you ATC! I love every single bit of this. Even the voting, as long as it really does only count 20%. I do understand the concern that some have, but I disagree with it. I think voting will only help promote the sport. So what if a candidate's coach sends an all school email to get as many votes as possible? Or a Candidate promotes themselves or teammates on Facebook/twitter. Let's get these athletes the attention they deserve! This banquet is a HUGE honor, they should get to brag about it at least a little. I will also be interested to see how much pr times play a role(my guess is only 20%). In the past there were alot of athletes who had their Asics times announced at the banquet. But now that a potential scholarship is at stake, I wonder if it will change how some coaches feel about the blazing fast courses. I can definitely see some coaches/athletes getting upset if they were second team with a 15:40 at Great American and somebody else was first team with a 15:25 at Asics. I also don't think I ever heard footlocker or NXN times announced, so I wonder if that will play a role in the final ordering of the teams, my guess is probably not.
Thank you ATC! I love every single bit of this. Even the voting, as long as it really does only count 20%. I do understand the concern that some have, but I disagree with it. I think voting will only help promote the sport. So what if a candidate's coach sends an all school email to get as many votes as possible? Or a Candidate promotes themselves or teammates on Facebook/twitter. Let's get these athletes the attention they deserve! This banquet is a HUGE honor, they should get to brag about it at least a little.

I will also be interested to see how much pr times play a role(my guess is only 20%). In the past there were alot of athletes who had their Asics times announced at the banquet. But now that a potential scholarship is at stake, I wonder if it will change how some coaches feel about the blazing fast courses. I can definitely see some coaches/athletes getting upset if they were second team with a 15:40 at Great American and somebody else was first team with a 15:25 at Asics. I also don't think I ever heard footlocker or NXN times announced, so I wonder if that will play a role in the final ordering of the teams, my guess is probably not.
10/21/2014 9:32:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm Coach, I agree, well said. Hopefully the 20% factor will play in favor of recognizing the sport but not enough to overturn recognition of top performers.
@spxcoachrm Coach, I agree, well said. Hopefully the 20% factor will play in favor of recognizing the sport but not enough to overturn recognition of top performers.
10/21/2014 9:45:41 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
A more detailed look at the selection process, http://atlantatrackclub.org/community/high-school-running Post Season races, Footlocker and NXN are not included in selection. The 42 runners will be selected first and then voting will open to place the teams among the 1st, 2st, and 3rd teams, weighted 80/20 coaches to public. So ideally all those who should be on the team will be and coaches will have the heaviest weight in placing them among the teams based on the entire season, including results on fast/short/long courses.
A more detailed look at the selection process, http://atlantatrackclub.org/community/high-school-running

Post Season races, Footlocker and NXN are not included in selection. The 42 runners will be selected first and then voting will open to place the teams among the 1st, 2st, and 3rd teams, weighted 80/20 coaches to public.
So ideally all those who should be on the team will be and coaches will have the heaviest weight in placing them among the teams based on the entire season, including results on fast/short/long courses.
10/21/2014 10:45:48 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@etomas12 Thanks for this. I think this is just absolutely fantastic. I do wish that they would wait until footlocker/nxn for the coaches voting because I wish the state put more emphasis on those meets. But that's just my personal opinion on wanting Georgia to be more competitive nationally rather than just the occasional individual or team getting to nationals. That's just me though and I'm definitely still a HUGE fan of this process!
@etomas12

Thanks for this. I think this is just absolutely fantastic. I do wish that they would wait until footlocker/nxn for the coaches voting because I wish the state put more emphasis on those meets. But that's just my personal opinion on wanting Georgia to be more competitive nationally rather than just the occasional individual or team getting to nationals. That's just me though and I'm definitely still a HUGE fan of this process!
10/21/2014 11:44:57 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@etomas12 Thanks for the details on how the selection process will work. If the voting piece only influences the ranking of 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all metro then I agree that the ability to HYPE is a benefit. People may still argue about the 21 guys and girls who get selected in, but at least a public popularity contest won't be a deciding factor in who gets in and who doesn't. Works for me and thanks again for promoting the sport.
@etomas12 Thanks for the details on how the selection process will work. If the voting piece only influences the ranking of 1st, 2nd or 3rd team all metro then I agree that the ability to HYPE is a benefit. People may still argue about the 21 guys and girls who get selected in, but at least a public popularity contest won't be a deciding factor in who gets in and who doesn't. Works for me and thanks again for promoting the sport.
10/21/2014 2:18:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Hopefully we won't see a guy or a girl placed on 1st team or 2nd team, someone else sits on 3rd team and beat those others head to head every time.
Hopefully we won't see a guy or a girl placed on 1st team or 2nd team, someone else sits on 3rd team and beat those others head to head every time.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.