Uniform rules?
05/11/2014 11:44:51 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Do we even enforce these anymore? Why is neon green an ok uniform color? Why is camo spandex allowed? Why is a football t-shirt turned inside out an acceptable track uniform? Why is a spandex superman shirt an acceptable track uniform shirt? If I am wrong in thinking any of these are illegal uniforms based on the rules then please correct me.
Do we even enforce these anymore? Why is neon green an ok uniform color? Why is camo spandex allowed? Why is a football t-shirt turned inside out an acceptable track uniform? Why is a spandex superman shirt an acceptable track uniform shirt?

If I am wrong in thinking any of these are illegal uniforms based on the rules then please correct me.
05/11/2014 12:51:39 PM
Coach
@spxcoachrm I hear what you are saying, but I think the current, more lenient stance is an improvement from the past when they were DQ'ing for stitching and other ridiculous strict standards. I would like to see them enforce the "no coaches on the infield" rule however.
@spxcoachrm I hear what you are saying, but I think the current, more lenient stance is an improvement from the past when they were DQ'ing for stitching and other ridiculous strict standards.

I would like to see them enforce the "no coaches on the infield" rule however.
05/11/2014 3:49:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm I agree with you about the inside out football shirt. As for the others, I don't see anything in the rules that would exclude them.
@spxcoachrm I agree with you about the inside out football shirt. As for the others, I don't see anything in the rules that would exclude them.
05/11/2014 4:53:02 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
To be clear I also want to see more relaxed uniform rules and want them to not be picky about things like writing on the waist of half tights. I also think the neon green and camo were really cool uniforms. But don't uniforms still have to be school colors? Or can I order purple and silver uniforms for the fall?
To be clear I also want to see more relaxed uniform rules and want them to not be picky about things like writing on the waist of half tights. I also think the neon green and camo were really cool uniforms.

But don't uniforms still have to be school colors? Or can I order purple and silver uniforms for the fall?
05/11/2014 5:17:12 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=spxcoachrm]To be clear I also want to see more relaxed uniform rules and want them to not be picky about things like writing on the waist of half tights. I also think the neon green and camo were really cool uniforms. But don't uniforms still have to be school colors? Or can I order purple and silver uniforms for the fall?[/quote] @spxcoachrm I don't think they have to be school colors. I think the rules just say "school issued." I see a number of schools using colors that aren't their school colors. They just don't stick out like the neon ones. My concern with overlooking some uniform rules is how do you enforce any?
spxcoachrm wrote:
To be clear I also want to see more relaxed uniform rules and want them to not be picky about things like writing on the waist of half tights. I also think the neon green and camo were really cool uniforms.

But don't uniforms still have to be school colors? Or can I order purple and silver uniforms for the fall?

@spxcoachrm I don't think they have to be school colors. I think the rules just say "school issued." I see a number of schools using colors that aren't their school colors. They just don't stick out like the neon ones.

My concern with overlooking some uniform rules is how do you enforce any?
05/11/2014 8:26:48 PM
User
Talking about uniform rules, here's a question... I thought it was a rule that you could not run with a GPS watch?
Talking about uniform rules, here's a question... I thought it was a rule that you could not run with a GPS watch?
05/11/2014 8:49:36 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@goldeneaglexc Good to know. I stand corrected. I just could have sworn there was something in there about school colors.
@goldeneaglexc

Good to know. I stand corrected. I just could have sworn there was something in there about school colors.
05/11/2014 9:29:46 PM
User
Nope nothing about color but very positive those GPS watches are not aloud at all... what say you?
Nope nothing about color but very positive those GPS watches are not aloud at all... what say you?
05/11/2014 9:45:11 PM
User
So an inside out footbsll jersey woukd be legal if it was school issued.
05/11/2014 9:54:39 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Bobcat79]So an inside out footbsll jersey woukd be legal if it was school issued.[/quote] @Bobcat79 No,we were just talking about if the uniforms had to be school colors.
Bobcat79 wrote:

@Bobcat79 No,we were just talking about if the uniforms had to be school colors.
05/11/2014 10:14:46 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@AlertLively I think you're right but I can't find it in the GHSA constitution so it must be somewhere in the NFHS book which I don't have on me right now. It does actually say this in the cross country section: "The following items are not allowed during competition: jewelry hair beads of any type sunglasses Electronic devices" which is what I think led to the discussion of regular watches being allowed but not gps watches.
@AlertLively

I think you're right but I can't find it in the GHSA constitution so it must be somewhere in the NFHS book which I don't have on me right now. It does actually say this in the cross country section:
"The following items are not allowed during competition:
jewelry
hair beads of any type
sunglasses
Electronic devices"

which is what I think led to the discussion of regular watches being allowed but not gps watches.
05/11/2014 10:23:39 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@spxcoachrm this was put out by ghsa prior to one of the state xc meets but it applies to track as well. Uniform Reminders for the GHSA State Cross Country Meet Cross Country The weather for Saturday’s State Meet may be colder than runners have experienced this season. Here are a few uniform reminders for your attention: Any undergarments must be of a single, solid color – if the athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color. Undergarment top and/or bottom does not have to be the same color. Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must be of the same color and design. Undergarments are restricted to one logo per piece of clothing. If two(2) logos are visible, the undergarment becomes illegal. Gloves are permitted. Arm sleeves are permitted, if they are of a single, solid color and unadorned. Beanies, toboggans, ear covers are permitted if of a single color, unadorned (one logo only.) Socks are not a part of the uniform. Athletes must wear assigned numbers, unaltered and clearly visible. All other NFHS/GHSA rules regarding uniforms are applicable in the State Championships. See the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws for clarifications. [b]NOTE: The use of wrist watches with GPS capability is ILLEGAL. The penalty for this violation is DISQUALIFICATION.[/b][u][/u] NFHS jewelry regulations are in effect for the State Cross Country Championships.
@spxcoachrm this was put out by ghsa prior to one of the state xc meets but it applies to track as well.

Uniform Reminders for the GHSA State Cross Country Meet
Cross Country
The weather for Saturday's State Meet may be colder than runners have experienced this season. Here are a few uniform reminders for your attention:

Any undergarments must be of a single, solid color -- if the athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color.
Undergarment top and/or bottom does not have to be the same color.
Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must be of the same color and design.
Undergarments are restricted to one logo per piece of clothing. If two(2) logos are visible, the undergarment becomes illegal.
Gloves are permitted.
Arm sleeves are permitted, if they are of a single, solid color and unadorned.
Beanies, toboggans, ear covers are permitted if of a single color, unadorned (one logo only.)
Socks are not a part of the uniform.
Athletes must wear assigned numbers, unaltered and clearly visible.
All other NFHS/GHSA rules regarding uniforms are applicable in the State Championships. See the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws for clarifications.
NOTE: The use of wrist watches with GPS capability is ILLEGAL. The penalty for this violation is DISQUALIFICATION.
NFHS jewelry regulations are in effect for the State Cross Country Championships.
05/12/2014 8:09:49 AM
User
That's interesting because the kid that won the 3A 1600m was wearing a white Nike GPS watch and was using it throughout the whole race taking his splits and making sure he was on pace.
That's interesting because the kid that won the 3A 1600m was wearing a white Nike GPS watch and was using it throughout the whole race taking his splits and making sure he was on pace.
05/12/2014 9:04:58 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@AlertLively Was he? I did not catch that. And neither did the officials obviously. And actually if he was wearing the one I think he was then the "GPS capabilities" are actually broken on that watch. But congratulations Mr. Lively (I'm probably wrong in assuming that's your real last name, but I will probably never know) you caught me. I see what you were doing there. I clearly made a coaching mistake. It was not my first of the meet and it wasn't my last either (though as far as I know it was the only illegal uniform we had). It was also likely not the only officiating mistake made, though if you're trying to suggest he was using the gps functions of that watch I find that amusing. The officials should have warned him he had an illegal watch on before he stepped onto the track and if he didn't remove it should have disqualified him. And I believe NFHS rules say I have to be notified of the offense as well. So I guess you've helped me answer my earlier question, that we don't enforce all of these rules because the officials are perhaps not aware of all of the rules. I mixed up the school issued with school colors in my original post, and have been corrected. But I still think it's worth noting that some things we let throwers get away with as "uniforms" are ridiculous and that drives me nuts. I can't believe we had a kid allowed to simply turn his football t-shirt inside out and still compete at the state meet. Even my own throwers drive me nuts with their "uniforms" at times. I was actually talking with one of my other coaches at the meet this weekend about our own throwers and how frustrating that can be and what I want to do in the future to change that on our team.
@AlertLively

Was he? I did not catch that. And neither did the officials obviously. And actually if he was wearing the one I think he was then the "GPS capabilities" are actually broken on that watch. But congratulations Mr. Lively (I'm probably wrong in assuming that's your real last name, but I will probably never know) you caught me. I see what you were doing there. I clearly made a coaching mistake. It was not my first of the meet and it wasn't my last either (though as far as I know it was the only illegal uniform we had). It was also likely not the only officiating mistake made, though if you're trying to suggest he was using the gps functions of that watch I find that amusing.

The officials should have warned him he had an illegal watch on before he stepped onto the track and if he didn't remove it should have disqualified him. And I believe NFHS rules say I have to be notified of the offense as well. So I guess you've helped me answer my earlier question, that we don't enforce all of these rules because the officials are perhaps not aware of all of the rules.

I mixed up the school issued with school colors in my original post, and have been corrected. But I still think it's worth noting that some things we let throwers get away with as "uniforms" are ridiculous and that drives me nuts. I can't believe we had a kid allowed to simply turn his football t-shirt inside out and still compete at the state meet. Even my own throwers drive me nuts with their "uniforms" at times. I was actually talking with one of my other coaches at the meet this weekend about our own throwers and how frustrating that can be and what I want to do in the future to change that on our team.
05/12/2014 9:28:34 AM
User
That's Ms. Lively btw... I'm just here to make sure some of you gentlemen keep your noses on straight. And Yes He Was! Funny how just that watch's GPS capabilities are broken but then we will never know that for sure. If you watched the race which I know you did you would have seen him slapping the watch to mark his 400 splits and check his 200... If you missed it... It is blatantly obvious if you just watch the video that is posted on the GHSA website. furthermore, if you know your throwers are violating uniform rules then YOU need to stop your own team from doing what you hate. Kids will push the envelope off the table if you let them... Take this from a veteran mommy that knows.
That's Ms. Lively btw... I'm just here to make sure some of you gentlemen keep your noses on straight. And Yes He Was! Funny how just that watch's GPS capabilities are broken but then we will never know that for sure. If you watched the race which I know you did you would have seen him slapping the watch to mark his 400 splits and check his 200... If you missed it... It is blatantly obvious if you just watch the video that is posted on the GHSA website.
furthermore, if you know your throwers are violating uniform rules then YOU need to stop your own team from doing what you hate. Kids will push the envelope off the table if you let them... Take this from a veteran mommy that knows.
05/12/2014 9:50:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@AlertLively It is not against the rules to use a watch with timing/split capabilities and it is just fine to check splits at 200 or 100 or where ever you want using that watch. Why using a GPS capable watch on a track is against the rules is beyond me. I do understand the rule for Cross Country. Tracks are 400 meters and marked at various distances, you don't need a GPS to know where you are on a track.
@AlertLively

It is not against the rules to use a watch with timing/split capabilities and it is just fine to check splits at 200 or 100 or where ever you want using that watch. Why using a GPS capable watch on a track is against the rules is beyond me. I do understand the rule for Cross Country. Tracks are 400 meters and marked at various distances, you don't need a GPS to know where you are on a track.
05/12/2014 9:55:34 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@AlertLively My apologies ma'am. But slapping a watch to take splits is not using the gps capabilities of the watch. It is using the "slap capabilities" of the watch. And even if the GPS capabilities are broken I would assume it is still illegal. I was mostly just having a little fun with the rule itself. And it's a difficult rule to enforce since there are so many watches out there in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it could be very difficult to tell which ones have gps and which ones don't. Doesn't Nike even make that same exact watch without gps? I personally tell my kids not to wear watches at all during races because it's about racing people not the clock. But I have told him to wear a watch a couple of times before because I made him focus on hitting specific splits to get different things out of more low key races. As for the throwers, I'm well aware of how to enforce rules on my own team. And I have. And I've punished. And I've DQ'd members of my own team multiple times at our meets to teach a lesson. But I can't control what is enforced at meets we don't host and I can't always watch everybody in every event to police it on my own team. And I certainly can't control what is enforced at the state meet.
@AlertLively

My apologies ma'am. But slapping a watch to take splits is not using the gps capabilities of the watch. It is using the "slap capabilities" of the watch. And even if the GPS capabilities are broken I would assume it is still illegal. I was mostly just having a little fun with the rule itself. And it's a difficult rule to enforce since there are so many watches out there in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it could be very difficult to tell which ones have gps and which ones don't. Doesn't Nike even make that same exact watch without gps? I personally tell my kids not to wear watches at all during races because it's about racing people not the clock. But I have told him to wear a watch a couple of times before because I made him focus on hitting specific splits to get different things out of more low key races.

As for the throwers, I'm well aware of how to enforce rules on my own team. And I have. And I've punished. And I've DQ'd members of my own team multiple times at our meets to teach a lesson. But I can't control what is enforced at meets we don't host and I can't always watch everybody in every event to police it on my own team. And I certainly can't control what is enforced at the state meet.
05/12/2014 10:46:28 AM
User
There are definitely a lot of amazing runners out there that stay humble and respect each challenge and the competition.
There are definitely a lot of amazing runners out there that stay humble and respect each challenge and the competition.
05/12/2014 1:00:35 PM
Coach
Sprague needs some love.... kudos to him for capping off a stellar HS career. Lets not take anything away that wasnt ours to give. He earned what he has. As far as uniform violations- We as coaches are definitely responsible for catching a violation before the athlete goes to the line, but it is also an officials job, too. I have made mistakes(more so since coaching girls, as there is a lot more to check for).... and am fortunate to have other coaches remind me or my athletes. I have also stopped several athletes who are not mine before competing- some I pulled off the line and had them remove jewelry, tuck top, unroll shorts, etc. before the gun. The gps rule is silly in my opinion(and is still somewhat unclear, so most of us just say "dont wear that watch").... it is a progressive rule for sure, but I know my gps watch is not nearly accurate enough for me to ever want to use it in a race. One day, the watches will be more accurate, but to assume that gps function would be helpful every 200m over a simple time split on the track? As for what qualifies as a uniform, and non uniform I just want consistency..... as noted above, girls can not roll shorts, but non school colors, or non school logo'd unis are fine? The uniform should be an identifier for a competitor. We can still make them cool and comfortable for all athletes staying within these parameters.
Sprague needs some love.... kudos to him for capping off a stellar HS career. Lets not take anything away that wasnt ours to give. He earned what he has.

As far as uniform violations- We as coaches are definitely responsible for catching a violation before the athlete goes to the line, but it is also an officials job, too. I have made mistakes(more so since coaching girls, as there is a lot more to check for).... and am fortunate to have other coaches remind me or my athletes. I have also stopped several athletes who are not mine before competing- some I pulled off the line and had them remove jewelry, tuck top, unroll shorts, etc. before the gun.

The gps rule is silly in my opinion(and is still somewhat unclear, so most of us just say "dont wear that watch").... it is a progressive rule for sure, but I know my gps watch is not nearly accurate enough for me to ever want to use it in a race. One day, the watches will be more accurate, but to assume that gps function would be helpful every 200m over a simple time split on the track?

As for what qualifies as a uniform, and non uniform I just want consistency..... as noted above, girls can not roll shorts, but non school colors, or non school logo'd unis are fine? The uniform should be an identifier for a competitor. We can still make them cool and comfortable for all athletes staying within these parameters.
05/12/2014 1:29:13 PM
Coach
Why can pink only be worn for one month? Why can't I have pink uniforms for the entire season?
Why can pink only be worn for one month? Why can't I have pink uniforms for the entire season?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.