GHSA advisory committee
03/10/2014 7:51:11 AM
User
The GHSA advisory committee will meet at the end of March to restructure the sectional meet based on the new region alignment's. During the meeting in past years we have talked about things we can change without going through the GHSA executive board. The implementation of the three turn stagger for 14-15 is an example of things we have changed to make our sport better. If you have an idea that could make our sport better please post here, or send to jerry_arnold@comcast.net .
The GHSA advisory committee will meet at the end of March to restructure the sectional meet based on the new region alignment's. During the meeting in past years we have talked about things we can change without going through the GHSA executive board. The implementation of the three turn stagger for 14-15 is an example of things we have changed to make our sport better. If you have an idea that could make our sport better please post here, or send to jerry_arnold@comcast.net .
03/10/2014 9:46:04 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@MCTFCOACH 1. Inclusion of the 4x800 relay as a scoring event at region & state. 2. State T&F meets suggestion; A Private/Public, AA, AAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet in Albany AAAA, AAAAA & AAAAAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet at Jefferson 3. Sectionals for cross country, make state meet fields smaller (if meet continues to be at Carrollton)
@MCTFCOACH
1. Inclusion of the 4x800 relay as a scoring event at region & state.
2. State T&F meets suggestion;
A Private/Public, AA, AAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet in Albany
AAAA, AAAAA & AAAAAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet at Jefferson
3. Sectionals for cross country, make state meet fields smaller (if meet continues to be at Carrollton)
03/10/2014 11:05:08 AM
Coach
@MCTFCOACH, 1. When the PV gets to three (3)or less competitors, the bar is raised by 3". 2. When the HJ gets to three (3)or less competitors, the bar is raised by 1". Cheers, PV-ATL
@MCTFCOACH,

1. When the PV gets to three (3)or less competitors, the bar is raised by 3".

2. When the HJ gets to three (3)or less competitors, the bar is raised by 1".

Cheers,

PV-ATL
03/10/2014 11:39:30 AM
User
Adding the 5000m to track at regions, sectionals, and state.
Adding the 5000m to track at regions, sectionals, and state.
03/10/2014 12:33:44 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Moving the state meet dates back at least 1 week for track and field. Moving the start date of practice back accordingly. 4 x 800m at the region, sectional, and state meet. A - AAA at one location both genders, AAAA - AAAAAA at one location both genders. Could keep current locations (unless better ones are willing to host) and alternate. - i.e. year #1 A - AAA @ Albany and AAAA - AAAAAA @ Jefferson, switch location year 2. - host meets on different weekends as currently done with boys and girls to allow for GHSA to be at both - allow whichever meet is later to do sectionals and region meets a week later 1 relay team per team at region (to occur when the 4 x 800m is added), to help reduce the stress on teams with smaller numbers.
Moving the state meet dates back at least 1 week for track and field. Moving the start date of practice back accordingly.

4 x 800m at the region, sectional, and state meet.

A - AAA at one location both genders, AAAA - AAAAAA at one location both genders. Could keep current locations (unless better ones are willing to host) and alternate.
- i.e. year #1 A - AAA @ Albany and AAAA - AAAAAA @ Jefferson, switch location year 2.
- host meets on different weekends as currently done with boys and girls to allow for GHSA to be at both
- allow whichever meet is later to do sectionals and region meets a week later

1 relay team per team at region (to occur when the 4 x 800m is added), to help reduce the stress on teams with smaller numbers.
03/10/2014 1:09:17 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Allow for 3 individual entries for each event at region, but only one relay team. Add 4x800 and/or 4x200 and/or a Medley relay! Pole Vault and High Jump ideas are great. I am not a huge fan of having some classes at one meet and others at another location. That could potentially drastically change any all class awards and state meet records (look at the weather difference between Jefferson and Albany last year). It's not that hard to combine both boys and girls into one location. plenty of other states accomplish this, some over only two days of competition. Just move the state meet around from year to year.
Allow for 3 individual entries for each event at region, but only one relay team. Add 4x800 and/or 4x200 and/or a Medley relay!

Pole Vault and High Jump ideas are great. I am not a huge fan of having some classes at one meet and others at another location. That could potentially drastically change any all class awards and state meet records (look at the weather difference between Jefferson and Albany last year). It's not that hard to combine both boys and girls into one location. plenty of other states accomplish this, some over only two days of competition. Just move the state meet around from year to year.
03/10/2014 2:28:10 PM
Coach
No to the splitting up classes at the state meet idea.
No to the splitting up classes at the state meet idea.
03/10/2014 3:19:32 PM
User
1. 5000 at state. 2. 4x1600 3. State at somewhere better than Albany or Jefferson.
1. 5000 at state.
2. 4x1600
3. State at somewhere better than Albany or Jefferson.
03/10/2014 4:50:34 PM
User
1) 5000m 2) 4x800m
1) 5000m

2) 4x800m
03/10/2014 4:50:51 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Agree on men's and women's state meet together. New venues suggestion of Ga Tech and UGA... swapping each year. Better facilities.. better locations. 3 day event Friday through Sunday. Agree on adding 4X800M. No on 5K.. assume those requests are just trolls. Agree on 3 athletes per team being allowed at region and potentially qualifying for sectionals/state. Agree on only one relay per team qualifying out of regions. Agree on fewer teams at state XC... also minimum time on the course requirement. No 30 minute state participants.
Agree on men's and women's state meet together.
New venues suggestion of Ga Tech and UGA... swapping each year. Better facilities.. better locations.
3 day event Friday through Sunday.
Agree on adding 4X800M. No on 5K.. assume those requests are just trolls.
Agree on 3 athletes per team being allowed at region and potentially qualifying for sectionals/state.
Agree on only one relay per team qualifying out of regions.
Agree on fewer teams at state XC... also minimum time on the course requirement. No 30 minute state participants.
03/10/2014 8:32:01 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 Like the UGA & GT idea but they have no stands for seating of spectators/athletes. Mill Creek facility can host a meet that large. Agree on no 5k Yes on 4x8 at region/sectionals/state Yes on a sectional meet for XC for 3rd & 4th place teams at region, 8 teams from sectionals advance to state, 24 teams at state plus top-6 from regions NOT on first place two teams!
@crossfan2861
Like the UGA & GT idea but they have no stands for seating of spectators/athletes.
Mill Creek facility can host a meet that large.
Agree on no 5k
Yes on 4x8 at region/sectionals/state
Yes on a sectional meet for XC for 3rd & 4th place teams at region, 8 teams from sectionals advance to state, 24 teams at state plus top-6 from regions NOT on first place two teams!
03/10/2014 9:35:02 PM
User
@acarr6453 @crossfan2861 To assume the suggestion of adding the 5000m is just a trolling remark is incorrect. To add the 5000m to state would be such an achievement and the addition will help make Georgia distance running more competitive. It allows for the longer distance capable athletes who may not be as skilled in the mile or 800 to have an event to run rather than just the 3200m. I know many athletes who would be considerably better in the 5000 and 10000 but are limited to the lower distance. Another idea is to possibly convert our events distance length to the collegiate standards and the professional standards. For example, change the 1600m to the 1500m the 3200m to the 3000m and add the 5000m. I believe this is a considerable improvement as we evolve as a state. These adjustments are more applicable to the more elite level. There are many other reasons why the Pros outweigh the Cons on these subject matters.
@acarr6453 @crossfan2861

To assume the suggestion of adding the 5000m is just a trolling remark is incorrect. To add the 5000m to state would be such an achievement and the addition will help make Georgia distance running more competitive. It allows for the longer distance capable athletes who may not be as skilled in the mile or 800 to have an event to run rather than just the 3200m. I know many athletes who would be considerably better in the 5000 and 10000 but are limited to the lower distance. Another idea is to possibly convert our events distance length to the collegiate standards and the professional standards. For example, change the 1600m to the 1500m the 3200m to the 3000m and add the 5000m. I believe this is a considerable improvement as we evolve as a state. These adjustments are more applicable to the more elite level. There are many other reasons why the Pros outweigh the Cons on these subject matters.
03/11/2014 7:54:02 AM
User
@RUNNNINGx3 I agree for the same reasons you give concerning the 5k. Ignore the snarky comments.
@RUNNNINGx3

I agree for the same reasons you give concerning the 5k. Ignore the snarky comments.
03/11/2014 7:59:21 AM
User
5k would be great for track, but with 7 classes and two genders, that's almost 5 hours of track time. I highly doubt it would happen. It would also be great to move from Albany/Jefferson, but GHSA seems to be extremely protective of its longtime host partners. I suspect those places will host until they don't want to host any more.
5k would be great for track, but with 7 classes and two genders, that's almost 5 hours of track time. I highly doubt it would happen.

It would also be great to move from Albany/Jefferson, but GHSA seems to be extremely protective of its longtime host partners. I suspect those places will host until they don't want to host any more.
03/11/2014 8:55:43 AM
User
@ExcelOrator Yes, unfortunately, so many events so little time. I realize the 5k is not a traditional high school event but it is run at higher levels. With longer distances becoming more common in general these days (grandmothers running marathons, etc)vs the past, might be time for a change. But 4x800 would be my first choice hands down.
@ExcelOrator

Yes, unfortunately, so many events so little time. I realize the 5k is not a traditional high school event but it is run at higher levels. With longer distances becoming more common in general these days (grandmothers running marathons, etc)vs the past, might be time for a change. But 4x800 would be my first choice hands down.
03/11/2014 9:04:23 AM
Coach
Having both genders of a classification on the same weekend is a MUST! I won't be around to experience it, but if I could change anything about the State track meets, this would be it. There were rumors last year of moving Class A Private to a Friday-Saturday meet, both genders, at UGA. While I would have missed watching all the other classifications compete, I miss my family more right now when I have to leave for 6 days over a two-week period. That two-day option with both genders was very exciting and I would have been all about it. And yes, the 4 x 800 must be added. The excuse right now is that not enough teams do it when it is an exhibition event. Of course not. I have a small team, only about 15 boys and 15 girls, and I can't put 4 of them in an exhibition event when other events score points. If the 4 x 800 scored points, we would prioritize it.
Having both genders of a classification on the same weekend is a MUST! I won't be around to experience it, but if I could change anything about the State track meets, this would be it. There were rumors last year of moving Class A Private to a Friday-Saturday meet, both genders, at UGA. While I would have missed watching all the other classifications compete, I miss my family more right now when I have to leave for 6 days over a two-week period. That two-day option with both genders was very exciting and I would have been all about it.

And yes, the 4 x 800 must be added. The excuse right now is that not enough teams do it when it is an exhibition event. Of course not. I have a small team, only about 15 boys and 15 girls, and I can't put 4 of them in an exhibition event when other events score points. If the 4 x 800 scored points, we would prioritize it.
03/11/2014 9:57:06 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@aparish I will second your thoughts about combining the genders. With our classification scheduled for field events first thing Thursday morning in Albany, we will leave Wed afternoon and won't get back until Saturday evening. The following weekend I and my coaches miss Thursday/Friday to go to Jefferson. Once region meets start it is a very full month for those that coach both boys and girls. The 4 x 800m relay needs to be added as well.
@aparish I will second your thoughts about combining the genders. With our classification scheduled for field events first thing Thursday morning in Albany, we will leave Wed afternoon and won't get back until Saturday evening. The following weekend I and my coaches miss Thursday/Friday to go to Jefferson. Once region meets start it is a very full month for those that coach both boys and girls.

The 4 x 800m relay needs to be added as well.
03/11/2014 10:49:00 AM
User
I see what you are saying about the 5 hours for the 5k. However, why not set a qualifying time, and then have an all class 5k with 4 from each classification? At sectionals the top two times make it. Then add the next two fastest qualifying times in each class. The race would be the end of the state meet.
I see what you are saying about the 5 hours for the 5k. However, why not set a qualifying time, and then have an all class 5k with 4 from each classification? At sectionals the top two times make it. Then add the next two fastest qualifying times in each class. The race would be the end of the state meet.
03/12/2014 8:20:03 AM
Coach
I'd be curious what states have the steeplechase and 5000 in track at a high school level (FOR STATES!). If it is popular, consider it. But I don't think those two are. But I know many seem to have the 4x800 at states. I'd be completely in favor of adding that one for sure. I think they should consider adding the javelin as well.
I'd be curious what states have the steeplechase and 5000 in track at a high school level (FOR STATES!). If it is popular, consider it. But I don't think those two are.

But I know many seem to have the 4x800 at states. I'd be completely in favor of adding that one for sure. I think they should consider adding the javelin as well.
03/12/2014 10:03:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=acarr6453]@MCTFCOACH 1. Inclusion of the 4x800 relay as a scoring event at region & state. 2. State T&F meets suggestion; A Private/Public, AA, AAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet in Albany AAAA, AAAAA & AAAAAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet at Jefferson 3. Sectionals for cross country, make state meet fields smaller (if meet continues to be at Carrollton)[/quote] @acarr6453 Agree with all of this!
acarr6453 wrote:
@MCTFCOACH
1. Inclusion of the 4x800 relay as a scoring event at region & state.
2. State T&F meets suggestion;
A Private/Public, AA, AAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet in Albany
AAAA, AAAAA & AAAAAA BOYS & GIRLS compete in one 3-day meet at Jefferson
3. Sectionals for cross country, make state meet fields smaller (if meet continues to be at Carrollton)

@acarr6453 Agree with all of this!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.