New region proposals are up
12/03/2013 6:27:42 PM
Coach
Also Interesting that some schools are different classifications for football only. Marist in the same region as Pius Westminster is with BT Northview has joined region 6 on the girls side this will be a very competitive region as well
Also Interesting that some schools are different classifications for football only.

Marist in the same region as Pius
Westminster is with BT
Northview has joined region 6 on the girls side this will be a very competitive region as well
12/03/2013 6:41:38 PM
User
Adding Pope to 5AAAAAA is interesting from a XC/Track perspective.
Adding Pope to 5AAAAAA is interesting from a XC/Track perspective.
12/03/2013 7:14:29 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Look at Region 6AAAAA (17 schools)This will be a huge region track meet. [u]Sub-region A[/u] Clarkston Drew Dunwoody Druid Hills Forest Park M.L. King Miller Grove Southwest Dekalb Stephenson [u]Sub-region B[/u] Dutchtown Luella Morrow Mundy’s Mill Ola Stockbridge Union Grove Woodland, Henry
Look at Region 6AAAAA (17 schools)This will be a huge region track meet.

Sub-region A
Clarkston
Drew
Dunwoody
Druid Hills
Forest Park
M.L. King
Miller Grove
Southwest Dekalb
Stephenson

Sub-region B
Dutchtown Luella
Morrow
Mundy's Mill
Ola
Stockbridge
Union Grove
Woodland, Henry
12/03/2013 7:43:54 PM
User
As I posted in the other thread, 4 of those 17 schools (23.5%) in that region will go to Carrollton. Meanwhile, 4 of the 5 schools (80%) in region 1-6A will advance. Of course this inequity will exist in all sports.
As I posted in the other thread, 4 of those 17 schools (23.5%) in that region will go to Carrollton. Meanwhile, 4 of the 5 schools (80%) in region 1-6A will advance. Of course this inequity will exist in all sports.
12/03/2013 8:00:09 PM
Coach
I was commenting to our AD today that I would be livid if I was in region 6 and had to compete with 16 other schools for the four slots for state in any sport. They have to do a better job of balancing than that. Essentially, they took two regions and combined them into one. This was partially caused by the dozen teams the requested to move up from AAAA combined with the isolation clause that moved the three coastal teams down from AAAAAA. Does anyone think that they will get too much flack and have to re-balance? BTW...we are safely in Region 7 with only 10 teams.
I was commenting to our AD today that I would be livid if I was in region 6 and had to compete with 16 other schools for the four slots for state in any sport. They have to do a better job of balancing than that. Essentially, they took two regions and combined them into one. This was partially caused by the dozen teams the requested to move up from AAAA combined with the isolation clause that moved the three coastal teams down from AAAAAA. Does anyone think that they will get too much flack and have to re-balance?

BTW...we are safely in Region 7 with only 10 teams.
12/03/2013 10:03:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@creekview5 In class A region 5 four years ago- we had 23 schools in our region and we were the only school in GHSA that had to run a sub-region track meet. We have had 18 teams the past 2 years.
@creekview5 In class A region 5 four years ago- we had 23 schools in our region and we were the only school in GHSA that had to run a sub-region track meet. We have had 18 teams the past 2 years.
12/03/2013 10:16:49 PM
Power User
Can anyone explain why some schools (Thomas County Central etc.) can be in different classes for different sports? I am very interested in this possibility. Is there a justifiable reason? I think there should be the chance for successful programs to move up and seek out better competition -- heck we make our own schedules anyway.
Can anyone explain why some schools (Thomas County Central etc.) can be in different classes for different sports? I am very interested in this possibility. Is there a justifiable reason? I think there should be the chance for successful programs to move up and seek out better competition -- heck we make our own schedules anyway.
12/04/2013 7:17:58 PM
Power User
So we have been in 8 regions since I remember, why are we in 8 and not 7 or 6? Just curious.
So we have been in 8 regions since I remember, why are we in 8 and not 7 or 6? Just curious.
12/04/2013 7:34:28 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
maristxc Several schools are "isolated" - over 100 miles away from the nearest school in their assigned classification. Under the GHSA by-laws schools that are isolated can be placed in another classification. The idea is that they are so far away that it just isn't feasible to travel 100+ miles for every single region contest. This applies for those sports with a region schedule. In a few cases, it might be financially better for a school's football program to stay in the higher classification. For example, Camden County has established rival games with a lot of south Ga schools and these games generate thousands of dollars in gate revenue. Camden vs Lowndes varsity football games probably generate $100,000 or more in ticket sales. Since these games are on Friday nights it isn't as bad to make that long trip. I am not saying I think this is right, just explaining their viewpoint. xcnewbee 8 regions has been the norm for as long as I can remember. 8 regions = 32 teams in the playoffs. A lot of people believe that more playoff games generate a lot more money for the GHSA (they get a cut off of every playoff game) This is the 5th reclassification cycle I have been involved with and it has been the oddest yet. With all the isolated schools, schools playing football only in some classifications and a 17 team AAAAA region this one surpass the single A/private school debacle of the last go round. There are a whole host of issues right now and I think the GHSA is trying to work under an outdated system. It is time for them to overhaul how our schools are classified.
maristxc
Several schools are "isolated" - over 100 miles away from the nearest school in their assigned classification. Under the GHSA by-laws schools that are isolated can be placed in another classification. The idea is that they are so far away that it just isn't feasible to travel 100+ miles for every single region contest. This applies for those sports with a region schedule. In a few cases, it might be financially better for a school's football program to stay in the higher classification. For example, Camden County has established rival games with a lot of south Ga schools and these games generate thousands of dollars in gate revenue. Camden vs Lowndes varsity football games probably generate $100,000 or more in ticket sales. Since these games are on Friday nights it isn't as bad to make that long trip. I am not saying I think this is right, just explaining their viewpoint.

xcnewbee
8 regions has been the norm for as long as I can remember. 8 regions = 32 teams in the playoffs. A lot of people believe that more playoff games generate a lot more money for the GHSA (they get a cut off of every playoff game)

This is the 5th reclassification cycle I have been involved with and it has been the oddest yet. With all the isolated schools, schools playing football only in some classifications and a 17 team AAAAA region this one surpass the single A/private school debacle of the last go round. There are a whole host of issues right now and I think the GHSA is trying to work under an outdated system. It is time for them to overhaul how our schools are classified.
12/04/2013 7:39:50 PM
Power User
@goldeneaglexc that makes sense. I had been playing around with it though and came up with a pretty sweet 7 region alignment if I do say so myself. I'll post it for fun if anyone wants to see, most regions are 10 teams. I also have a few different 8 region alignments I like a bit better based on location, but I know that I am biased on XC and don't know near enough about teams and their "top tier" sports. Again if people are interested I can post those too, and pictures of what it would look like.
@goldeneaglexc that makes sense. I had been playing around with it though and came up with a pretty sweet 7 region alignment if I do say so myself. I'll post it for fun if anyone wants to see, most regions are 10 teams. I also have a few different 8 region alignments I like a bit better based on location, but I know that I am biased on XC and don't know near enough about teams and their "top tier" sports. Again if people are interested I can post those too, and pictures of what it would look like.
12/04/2013 8:11:00 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Go ahead. It makes for interesting conversation and you might have some better alignments. The people that put these regions together don't always seem to have the best sense of geography. For years the Henry County schools ended up in a Macon region. One of the initial drafts had it happening again but someone stepped in and changed it. GHSA has a map that allows you to look at each classification and each region. http://www.ghsa.net/ghsa-groups/32/map
Go ahead. It makes for interesting conversation and you might have some better alignments. The people that put these regions together don't always seem to have the best sense of geography. For years the Henry County schools ended up in a Macon region. One of the initial drafts had it happening again but someone stepped in and changed it.

GHSA has a map that allows you to look at each classification and each region.

http://www.ghsa.net/ghsa-groups/32/map
12/04/2013 8:46:14 PM
Power User
@goldeneaglexc 7 Regions Realignment http://cache.milesplit.com/user_files/22101/screen_shot_2013-12-04_at_8.19.25_pm.png Region 1 (6) Colquitt County Lee County Camden County Valdosta Tift County Lowndes Region 2 (9) Alcovy East Coweta Lakeside, Dekalb Langston Hughes Lovejoy Newnan Newton Rockdale County Westlake Region 3 (9) Campbell Douglas County Harrison Hillgrove Marietta McEachern Osborne Pebblebrook South Cobb Region 4 (10) Cherokee Etowah Kennesaw Mountain Lassiter North Cobb North Paulding Pope Walton Wheeler Woodstock Region 5 (9) Alpharetta Centennial Chattahoochee Lambert Milton North Forsyth Roswell South Forsyth West Forsyth Region 6 (10) Collins Hill Duluth Habersham Central Johns Creek Mill Creek Mountain View Norcross Northview North Gwinnett Peachtree Ridge Region 7 (11) Archer Berkmar Brookwood Central Gwinnett Dacula Grayson Meadowcreek Parkview Shiloh South Gwinnett Tucker 8 Region Realignment Idea http://cache.milesplit.com/user_files/22101/screen_shot_2013-12-04_at_8.19.48_pm.png Region 1 (6) Colquitt County Lee County Camden County Valdosta Tift County Lowndes Region 2 (7) Alcovy Lakeside, Dekalb Newton Parkview Rockdale County Shiloh Tucker Region 3 (6) Douglas County East Coweta Langston Hughes Lovejoy Newnan Westlake Region 4 (9) Campbell Harrison Hillgrove Marietta McEachern Osborne Pebblebrook South Cobb Wheeler Region 5 (9) Cherokee Etowah Kennesaw Mountain Lassiter North Cobb North Paulding Pope Walton Woodstock Region 6 (9) Alpharetta Centennial Chattahoochee Lambert Milton North Forsyth Roswell South Forsyth West Forsyth Region 7 (9) Collis Hill Duluth Habersham Central Johns Creek Mill Creek Mountain View Northview North Gwinnett Peachtree Ridge Region 8 (9) Archer Berkmar Brookwood Central Gwinnett Dacula Grayson Meadowcreek Norcross South Gwinnett
@goldeneaglexc
7 Regions Realignment

Region 1 (6)
Colquitt County
Lee County
Camden County
Valdosta
Tift County
Lowndes

Region 2 (9)
Alcovy
East Coweta
Lakeside, Dekalb
Langston Hughes
Lovejoy
Newnan
Newton
Rockdale County
Westlake

Region 3 (9)
Campbell
Douglas County
Harrison
Hillgrove
Marietta
McEachern
Osborne
Pebblebrook
South Cobb

Region 4 (10)
Cherokee
Etowah
Kennesaw Mountain
Lassiter
North Cobb
North Paulding
Pope
Walton
Wheeler
Woodstock

Region 5 (9)
Alpharetta
Centennial
Chattahoochee
Lambert
Milton
North Forsyth
Roswell
South Forsyth
West Forsyth

Region 6 (10)
Collins Hill
Duluth
Habersham Central
Johns Creek
Mill Creek
Mountain View
Norcross
Northview
North Gwinnett
Peachtree Ridge

Region 7 (11)
Archer
Berkmar
Brookwood
Central Gwinnett
Dacula
Grayson
Meadowcreek
Parkview
Shiloh
South Gwinnett
Tucker

8 Region Realignment Idea

Region 1 (6)
Colquitt County
Lee County
Camden County
Valdosta
Tift County
Lowndes

Region 2 (7)
Alcovy
Lakeside, Dekalb
Newton
Parkview
Rockdale County
Shiloh
Tucker

Region 3 (6)
Douglas County
East Coweta
Langston Hughes
Lovejoy
Newnan
Westlake

Region 4 (9)
Campbell
Harrison
Hillgrove
Marietta
McEachern
Osborne
Pebblebrook
South Cobb
Wheeler

Region 5 (9)
Cherokee
Etowah
Kennesaw Mountain
Lassiter
North Cobb
North Paulding
Pope
Walton
Woodstock

Region 6 (9)
Alpharetta
Centennial
Chattahoochee
Lambert
Milton
North Forsyth
Roswell
South Forsyth
West Forsyth

Region 7 (9)
Collis Hill
Duluth
Habersham Central
Johns Creek
Mill Creek
Mountain View
Northview
North Gwinnett
Peachtree Ridge

Region 8 (9)
Archer
Berkmar
Brookwood
Central Gwinnett
Dacula
Grayson
Meadowcreek
Norcross
South Gwinnett
12/05/2013 6:57:03 PM
Power User
Thoughts?
Thoughts?
12/06/2013 8:13:38 AM
Coach
@xcnewbee 8 Region alignments have to stay because most sports have playoffs for the state title. Mathmatically, it is much easier to make brackets for 32 than any other combination that you could get from 7 or 9 regions. This is also why we probably have 32 teams in XC. They probably rationalize that if you are going to send 4 teams for other team sports, then you also do it for cross country (and I won't debate the merits of it here...just giving rationale).
@xcnewbee 8 Region alignments have to stay because most sports have playoffs for the state title. Mathmatically, it is much easier to make brackets for 32 than any other combination that you could get from 7 or 9 regions. This is also why we probably have 32 teams in XC. They probably rationalize that if you are going to send 4 teams for other team sports, then you also do it for cross country (and I won't debate the merits of it here...just giving rationale).
12/06/2013 8:23:52 AM
Power User
@creekview5 agreed, just thought it was a fun idea personally. I think the break up works great for it though! I do like the 8 region idea I made though.
@creekview5 agreed, just thought it was a fun idea personally. I think the break up works great for it though! I do like the 8 region idea I made though.
12/06/2013 10:09:21 AM
User
@xcnewbee I like either of your proposals. I also played around with the 6A schools and have a different idea, based on the principle that for a sport like XC (or golf, for that matter), we do not need regions at all. If I could start from scratch and build the best qualification system for state, I would have no regions and three sections - west, central, and east. Take the top 6 teams and next 5 runners from each, which is the equivalent of 20 teams at state.
@xcnewbee

I like either of your proposals. I also played around with the 6A schools and have a different idea, based on the principle that for a sport like XC (or golf, for that matter), we do not need regions at all. If I could start from scratch and build the best qualification system for state, I would have no regions and three sections - west, central, and east. Take the top 6 teams and next 5 runners from each, which is the equivalent of 20 teams at state.
12/06/2013 11:34:37 AM
Coach
It is just crazy to me that they think the regions have any equality. How can you have some regions with 17 teams and others with 5 teams (5-AA for example as Manchester doesn't have a cross country team, and actually Temple doesn't have a girls team) yet have 4 teams from each region?
It is just crazy to me that they think the regions have any equality. How can you have some regions with 17 teams and others with 5 teams (5-AA for example as Manchester doesn't have a cross country team, and actually Temple doesn't have a girls team) yet have 4 teams from each region?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.