Coach Wood Championship Boys/Girls Finish Line video
10/20/2013 9:57:19 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Championship Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_cCyOsfsw&feature=youtu.be Championship Boys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10ewAzrkbA&feature=youtu.be
Championship Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_cCyOsfsw&feature=youtu.be

Championship Boys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10ewAzrkbA&feature=youtu.be
10/20/2013 10:14:44 AM
Coach
http://youtu.be/kOu9OfhCgHs Over 11 minutes of in-race coverage of the boys championship race. If you missed the action, this covers almost the entire race.
http://youtu.be/kOu9OfhCgHs

Over 11 minutes of in-race coverage of the boys championship race. If you missed the action, this covers almost the entire race.
10/20/2013 8:42:19 PM
User
"GOT YOURS PUNK!" @5:39... Is that animosity towards Peachtree Ridge or Marist? Need to edit your voice and remind yourself that these are kids... Thanks for the video though
"GOT YOURS PUNK!" @5:39... Is that animosity towards Peachtree Ridge or Marist? Need to edit your voice and remind yourself that these are kids... Thanks for the video though
10/20/2013 10:28:46 PM
Power User
@XCFan4Life @Sid_Hoffman It was not the coach's comment so please do not hold Coach Demarest accountable. He was just sharing a parent's video. Maybe we should ask the parent* which 17 or 18 year old he directed his comments toward. We do all need to remember that in the end these are kids who are racing and we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Let the players play, the officials officiate, and the parents and coaches be positive and supportive. *I self edited as it was not necessary to list the offending parent's name publicly. For that I apologize.
@XCFan4Life
@Sid_Hoffman

It was not the coach's comment so please do not hold Coach Demarest accountable. He was just sharing a parent's video.

Maybe we should ask the parent* which 17 or 18 year old he directed his comments toward.

We do all need to remember that in the end these are kids who are racing and we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Let the players play, the officials officiate, and the parents and coaches be positive and supportive.

*I self edited as it was not necessary to list the offending parent's name publicly. For that I apologize.
10/21/2013 9:30:24 AM
User
Coach; My comment does sound like it was directed towards Coach Demarest... sorry about that, but I assure you I knew it was not him. I also left the parent's name out feeling it unnecessary to state it publicly putting the actual athlete in the limelight based on his parent’s questionable character. That would be hypocritical. I’m sure that if that parent heard a statement like that towards his own athlete it would not sit well. You said it best: “Let the players play, the officials officiate, and the parents and coaches be positive and supportive.” Stay classy and humble Sir every athlete has good and bad days and I’m sure your athlete has had or will have his share. In the famous words of Wilson Mizner - “Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.”
Coach; My comment does sound like it was directed towards Coach Demarest... sorry about that, but I assure you I knew it was not him.
I also left the parent's name out feeling it unnecessary to state it publicly putting the actual athlete in the limelight based on his parent's questionable character. That would be hypocritical.
I'm sure that if that parent heard a statement like that towards his own athlete it would not sit well.
You said it best:
"Let the players play, the officials officiate, and the parents and coaches be positive and supportive."

Stay classy and humble Sir every athlete has good and bad days and I'm sure your athlete has had or will have his share.
In the famous words of Wilson Mizner - "Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down."
10/21/2013 10:30:37 AM
User
The video in question has now been removed by the owner of the video.
The video in question has now been removed by the owner of the video.
10/21/2013 11:31:13 AM
User
I know this is closing the barn door after the horses are out, but for future reference... When I worked technology at school, I continually warned the teachers that I used to work with.. Make sure that you watch a video all the way through before you share it with others.
I know this is closing the barn door after the horses are out, but for future reference...

When I worked technology at school, I continually warned the teachers that I used to work with..

Make sure that you watch a video all the way through before you share it with others.
10/21/2013 1:57:08 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
sorry.. but you guys are over-reacting on this big time. If a coach was saying that kind of stuff then it is a problem and one that you'd rather handle one on one with the coach versus making it a public thing... otherwise.. seriously... do we need to sensor life this much? Do you really think that a silly heat of the moment comment like this is the worst thing our kids hear on a daily basis? Have you ever walked the halls in a high school. Big shocker.. high school kids cuss.. they routinely use the F bomb.. they talk smack... so do their parents. If you think this language is that intolerable, I'd suggest ear plugs for the sideline of any football game from pee wee through high school. Everyone losing access to being able to see a really cool video because of one comment most people wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed out is cutting of your nose to spite your face. And trust me.. the kid who had this comment directed at him didn't very, very likely didn't hear it and even if he did, he was likely motivated by it.... I bet you this poor high school student wasn't horrified and offended and went home feeling like he had been bullied by a mean parent. If anything, he probably would have thought it was funny... hey.. some old fart is talking smack to me.. how bizarre is that?
sorry.. but you guys are over-reacting on this big time. If a coach was saying that kind of stuff then it is a problem and one that you'd rather handle one on one with the coach versus making it a public thing... otherwise.. seriously... do we need to sensor life this much? Do you really think that a silly heat of the moment comment like this is the worst thing our kids hear on a daily basis? Have you ever walked the halls in a high school. Big shocker.. high school kids cuss.. they routinely use the F bomb.. they talk smack... so do their parents. If you think this language is that intolerable, I'd suggest ear plugs for the sideline of any football game from pee wee through high school.

Everyone losing access to being able to see a really cool video because of one comment most people wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed out is cutting of your nose to spite your face. And trust me.. the kid who had this comment directed at him didn't very, very likely didn't hear it and even if he did, he was likely motivated by it.... I bet you this poor high school student wasn't horrified and offended and went home feeling like he had been bullied by a mean parent. If anything, he probably would have thought it was funny... hey.. some old fart is talking smack to me.. how bizarre is that?
10/21/2013 2:07:05 PM
Coach
YouTube gives one the option of removing the audio from a video. Would have been a very simple solution.
YouTube gives one the option of removing the audio from a video. Would have been a very simple solution.
10/21/2013 3:22:34 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac @Sid_Hoffman Just for future reference, you guys can actually post these videos directly to the meet page (embedded via YouTube). Our numbers show that a LOT more people visit meet pages than the discussion board, so you're limiting the potential audience by putting them here. Just go to the meet page and look for the "Add Your Videos" link!
@coachac @Sid_Hoffman Just for future reference, you guys can actually post these videos directly to the meet page (embedded via YouTube). Our numbers show that a LOT more people visit meet pages than the discussion board, so you're limiting the potential audience by putting them here. Just go to the meet page and look for the "Add Your Videos" link!
10/21/2013 4:25:28 PM
User
I saw the video in question prior to its demise and although at the time I chose not to say anything about it. I feel lead at this time to address the post by @crossfan2861. Your comment is the most extreme form of callous behavior I have been subject to by the carefree nature that is conducted in these types of forums. The level of insensitivity in which you post your words has prompted me to inform you that there are many levels of bullying that exist around our current youth. For you to assume that every child will handle situations as you describe shows complete ignorance on your part. As I agree, walking through the hallways of schools kids are subject to hearing many choice comments and words. Yes high school kids cuss, as I am sure they have for over 100 years. But life has changed over the past 100 years and I’d like to believe that it is for the better. For you to insinuate that these types of statements coming from a coach rather than a dad hold higher consequences once again shows the level of ignorance you possess. Sure, routine use of the "F bomb" are common place today but should never be tolerated in these surroundings ESPECIALLY from a “Living Vicariously Through My Child” type of dad. The fact that this dad posted this video publicly opened the door to public criticism. I’m sure other people heard his very dumb statement and chose not to say anything, for that @xcfan4life I commend you for calling him out on it. Everyone lost access to viewing the video because someone out there pointed out the obvious. Apparently the person who posted the video found it to be flawed as well, if not he would have left it up. How do you know that the person who commented wasn’t the kid or kids that it was directed to? Motivated by it? I would hope that they would be motivated to put this lack luster parent in his place of which perhaps that has already been accomplished. You, crossfan2861 are placing some serous bets on this situation that I’d bet would leave you paying out for the rest of your life. Be careful
I saw the video in question prior to its demise and although at the time I chose not to say anything about it. I feel lead at this time to address the post by @crossfan2861. Your comment is the most extreme form of callous behavior I have been subject to by the carefree nature that is conducted in these types of forums. The level of insensitivity in which you post your words has prompted me to inform you that there are many levels of bullying that exist around our current youth. For you to assume that every child will handle situations as you describe shows complete ignorance on your part.

As I agree, walking through the hallways of schools kids are subject to hearing many choice comments and words. Yes high school kids cuss, as I am sure they have for over 100 years. But life has changed over the past 100 years and I'd like to believe that it is for the better. For you to insinuate that these types of statements coming from a coach rather than a dad hold higher consequences once again shows the level of ignorance you possess. Sure, routine use of the "F bomb" are common place today but should never be tolerated in these surroundings ESPECIALLY from a "Living Vicariously Through My Child" type of dad. The fact that this dad posted this video publicly opened the door to public criticism. I'm sure other people heard his very dumb statement and chose not to say anything, for that @xcfan4life I commend you for calling him out on it.

Everyone lost access to viewing the video because someone out there pointed out the obvious. Apparently the person who posted the video found it to be flawed as well, if not he would have left it up. How do you know that the person who commented wasn't the kid or kids that it was directed to? Motivated by it? I would hope that they would be motivated to put this lack luster parent in his place of which perhaps that has already been accomplished. You, crossfan2861 are placing some serous bets on this situation that I'd bet would leave you paying out for the rest of your life. Be careful
10/21/2013 7:50:39 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It is my attempt to put this matter to rest and refocus any conversation on what should be talked about, how that was one of the greatest team races ever run in this state. Again I say congratulations to Harrison. As the youtube video showed (and will again soon) they clearly left it all on the course on Saturday for a very well deserved win against the best teams in the state. The same can be said for Marist girls. I have talked to the parent who made the comment as he is one of ours. I asked him to not say anything as I would take care of this matter on here. He has given his whole side of the story and apologized big time that others heard his comment. I will not go into details so I can protect all athletes involved, but I will say two things. 1. The comment was not quite meant the way it sounds. 2. It was a comment made directly into the camera, and not said directly to a runner who was running the race. It was said out of earshot of any runners. He said it in the heat of the moment and always meant to edit it out of the video. He obviously forgot to edit it out before posting. Again, for that he has apologized to me. These videos are obviously made for St. Pius X runners, parents, and coaches. Coach Demarest posted the video without hearing the comment, and he would not have posted it on here if he had heard it. Basically it was a comment that was said off to the side that was never meant to be heard. Think of it like overhearing somebody say something at a meet, because that's basically what happened. We've all heard things said at meets. People make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment. I am definitely guilty of this too. So I apologize to anybody who was offended by this video. That is not the sort of thing we try to teach our runners, and I hope nobody sees any of our runners in a negative light because of this. We always tell them to be gracious winners and losers and shake the hands of their competitors and congratulate them. I do not believe there is enough of this in our sport, though I suppose it's hard to make them shake hands when they're falling over each other in the chutes. But I believe shaking hands after the competition is one of the most important parts of any sport. I love competition, but it's even more fun when it's friendly competition. We also do not allow our runners to cuss or make inappropriate comments, ever. If they do it's 2:00 of plank immediately, worse if they are habitual about it. They learn pretty quickly how to bite their tongues. So if you ever hear or see any examples of poor sportsmanship from one or more of our runners, please let myself or one of our coaches know. I can assure you they will be dealt with. This was a mistake that should be corrected and the video should be back up later in the week. If you have any further issues or questions, please send them directly to me.
It is my attempt to put this matter to rest and refocus any conversation on what should be talked about, how that was one of the greatest team races ever run in this state. Again I say congratulations to Harrison. As the youtube video showed (and will again soon) they clearly left it all on the course on Saturday for a very well deserved win against the best teams in the state. The same can be said for Marist girls.

I have talked to the parent who made the comment as he is one of ours. I asked him to not say anything as I would take care of this matter on here. He has given his whole side of the story and apologized big time that others heard his comment. I will not go into details so I can protect all athletes involved, but I will say two things. 1. The comment was not quite meant the way it sounds. 2. It was a comment made directly into the camera, and not said directly to a runner who was running the race. It was said out of earshot of any runners. He said it in the heat of the moment and always meant to edit it out of the video. He obviously forgot to edit it out before posting. Again, for that he has apologized to me. These videos are obviously made for St. Pius X runners, parents, and coaches. Coach Demarest posted the video without hearing the comment, and he would not have posted it on here if he had heard it. Basically it was a comment that was said off to the side that was never meant to be heard. Think of it like overhearing somebody say something at a meet, because that's basically what happened. We've all heard things said at meets. People make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment. I am definitely guilty of this too.

So I apologize to anybody who was offended by this video. That is not the sort of thing we try to teach our runners, and I hope nobody sees any of our runners in a negative light because of this. We always tell them to be gracious winners and losers and shake the hands of their competitors and congratulate them. I do not believe there is enough of this in our sport, though I suppose it's hard to make them shake hands when they're falling over each other in the chutes. But I believe shaking hands after the competition is one of the most important parts of any sport. I love competition, but it's even more fun when it's friendly competition. We also do not allow our runners to cuss or make inappropriate comments, ever. If they do it's 2:00 of plank immediately, worse if they are habitual about it. They learn pretty quickly how to bite their tongues. So if you ever hear or see any examples of poor sportsmanship from one or more of our runners, please let myself or one of our coaches know. I can assure you they will be dealt with.

This was a mistake that should be corrected and the video should be back up later in the week. If you have any further issues or questions, please send them directly to me.
10/21/2013 8:01:30 PM
User
Personally, I believe we are interpreting this comment in an entirely incorrect manner. First of all, has anyone considered the possibility that we misheard the comment? I, having seen the original video, initially though he had said "get your funk," as in "get your funk on," the lyrics to the classic james brown song "People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul." Or he could be saying "get your monk," as in "Get Your Monkey Off My Dog," and album by the Bobs. I believe that there was no animosity involved, and that the parent was simply a very musically cultured individual and wanted to leave and intentionally ambiguous comment up for grabs. Anonymous parent, I applaud you for your artistry.
Personally, I believe we are interpreting this comment in an entirely incorrect manner. First of all, has anyone considered the possibility that we misheard the comment? I, having seen the original video, initially though he had said "get your funk," as in "get your funk on," the lyrics to the classic james brown song "People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul." Or he could be saying "get your monk," as in "Get Your Monkey Off My Dog," and album by the Bobs. I believe that there was no animosity involved, and that the parent was simply a very musically cultured individual and wanted to leave and intentionally ambiguous comment up for grabs. Anonymous parent, I applaud you for your artistry.
10/21/2013 8:13:38 PM
User
mmh-hmm, i agree with crossfan2861. you guys are totally overrreacting. when i ran cross up in tennessee my coach used to motivate us by yelling out expletives about our mothers (i elect not to go into detail) and we were all pretty motivated (until he got kicked out for some lawsuit thing). i think this is all part of friendly competition. like i yell at kids in cross country meets that i dont even know. one time this guy i was waching fell down during a race and i yelled at him to get up or (stuff about his mother) and he ran so hard that day he waas crying at the end. and i bet if he hadnt of quit the next day he would have been really fast and motivated.
mmh-hmm, i agree with crossfan2861. you guys are totally overrreacting. when i ran cross up in tennessee my coach used to motivate us by yelling out expletives about our mothers (i elect not to go into detail) and we were all pretty motivated (until he got kicked out for some lawsuit thing). i think this is all part of friendly competition. like i yell at kids in cross country meets that i dont even know. one time this guy i was waching fell down during a race and i yelled at him to get up or (stuff about his mother) and he ran so hard that day he waas crying at the end. and i bet if he hadnt of quit the next day he would have been really fast and motivated.
10/21/2013 8:17:13 PM
User
^^^ wow lol ?:-I
^^^ wow lol
10/21/2013 8:21:01 PM
User
Ok people, I dont know HOW nobody has seen this yet, but lets all just stop for a second and think about AdolphOliverBush's name. Just think about it. Personally, I dont find this very funny or very appropriate and I'm going to notify a site administrator. Who's with me?
Ok people, I dont know HOW nobody has seen this yet, but lets all just stop for a second and think about AdolphOliverBush's name. Just think about it. Personally, I dont find this very funny or very appropriate and I'm going to notify a site administrator. Who's with me?
10/21/2013 8:22:52 PM
User
Guys i have no idea what JohnnyOnTheStats is talking about. its a very popular nom de plume and i shouldnt be judged based on it
Guys i have no idea what JohnnyOnTheStats is talking about. its a very popular nom de plume and i shouldnt be judged based on it
10/22/2013 9:01:05 PM
User
Very disappointed in the #disrespect shown to some great runners this past weekend. Can't believe someone who doubtfully knows what these kids go through would question their ability and character. #SMH #whopumpstheirarmsafterarace?
Very disappointed in the #disrespect shown to some great runners this past weekend. Can't believe someone who doubtfully knows what these kids go through would question their ability and character. #SMH #whopumpstheirarmsafterarace?
10/22/2013 9:14:06 PM
User
@I_am_a_train Actually, I dont believe that who you are assuming to be the character in question is the correct antecedent of that which you are referring to. The "he who shall decidedly remain nameless" victim of the previous acclaims (#disrespect) would, in technical terms, be the ironic victim of those who would have, under these circumstances, allegedly claimed to that of the third party involved of the accusation of hypothetically "pump[ing ]their[ ]arms[ ]after[ ]a[ ]race." Furthermore, I would go so far as to inquire into the validity of the said accusations of the "first party" heretofore referred to as "THE first party" i.e. the validity of the said evidence, which evidence having been previously withdrawn from the accessibility of the "the first party."
@I_am_a_train Actually, I dont believe that who you are assuming to be the character in question is the correct antecedent of that which you are referring to. The "he who shall decidedly remain nameless" victim of the previous acclaims (#disrespect) would, in technical terms, be the ironic victim of those who would have, under these circumstances, allegedly claimed to that of the third party involved of the accusation of hypothetically "pumprace." Furthermore, I would go so far as to inquire into the validity of the said accusations of the "first party" heretofore referred to as "THE first party" i.e. the validity of the said evidence, which evidence having been previously withdrawn from the accessibility of the "the first party."
10/22/2013 9:20:46 PM
User
@Canadia I totally agree.
@Canadia I totally agree.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.