Is something wrong?
09/25/2013 10:22:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
One of my kids said they tried to do a virtual meet and they said there was a fee attached. Has the site started charging a fee for some of the services or is something just wrong?
One of my kids said they tried to do a virtual meet and they said there was a fee attached. Has the site started charging a fee for some of the services or is something just wrong?
09/25/2013 10:32:54 PM
Power User
@cmarett I can create one for free if I am logged in. Try that and let us know.
@cmarett

I can create one for free if I am logged in. Try that and let us know.
09/25/2013 10:41:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
no it is still not working.
no it is still not working.
09/26/2013 7:09:47 AM
Power User
I'm getting the same thing. Thought it might be a function of choosing an event out of state but that was not the case. It does push you over to the MileSplitUS side though. Photo attached.[img]http://www.milesplit.com/static/88389/e[/img]
I'm getting the same thing. Thought it might be a function of choosing an event out of state but that was not the case. It does push you over to the MileSplitUS side though. Photo attached.
09/26/2013 8:01:13 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
You are going to see a lot of new changes coming to the network. We are investing a lot of money into improving the site and improving coverage and consistency nation wide. I'm sure you've already noticed how Bruce has been re-energized and killing it lately... updating the site all the time. We are investing in our webmasters and also going to be giving them a coverage budget so they can hire freelancers to have more on-site coverage at more meets. All of this of course requires money to do. Subscriptions are a key aspect and driver of this. So there are certain parts of the site that will now require you to be a supporter of the site by being a "MileSplit Insider". I know this is surprising just because it is new... but if you look at your neighbors to the south (Florida) we have been doing subscriptions very successfully since 2007. Virtual meets have always been for subscribers only in our state. If you look at our traffic and level of coverage, we are second to none on the MileSplit Network. This is what subscriptions bring: better coverage of the sport. Thank you in advance for subscribing. It will allow us to compensate Bruce better for all his hard work and allow us to re-invest in you and the sport with better coverage and more features.
You are going to see a lot of new changes coming to the network. We are investing a lot of money into improving the site and improving coverage and consistency nation wide. I'm sure you've already noticed how Bruce has been re-energized and killing it lately... updating the site all the time. We are investing in our webmasters and also going to be giving them a coverage budget so they can hire freelancers to have more on-site coverage at more meets.

All of this of course requires money to do. Subscriptions are a key aspect and driver of this. So there are certain parts of the site that will now require you to be a supporter of the site by being a "MileSplit Insider".

I know this is surprising just because it is new... but if you look at your neighbors to the south (Florida) we have been doing subscriptions very successfully since 2007. Virtual meets have always been for subscribers only in our state. If you look at our traffic and level of coverage, we are second to none on the MileSplit Network. This is what subscriptions bring: better coverage of the sport.

Thank you in advance for subscribing. It will allow us to compensate Bruce better for all his hard work and allow us to re-invest in you and the sport with better coverage and more features.
09/26/2013 8:29:08 AM
Power User
Subscribe, people...costs are de minimis and benefits are huge!
Subscribe, people...costs are de minimis and benefits are huge!
09/27/2013 7:25:23 AM
User
How much and why won't it let me pay using my current user name?
How much and why won't it let me pay using my current user name?
09/27/2013 8:38:02 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
If you are logged in and you click on the subscribe tab above it will take you to a billing page. The cost is $48 a year if you pay anually and $5 a month if you pay monthly. You will see your username in the top right corner of the page if you are logged in.
If you are logged in and you click on the subscribe tab above it will take you to a billing page. The cost is $48 a year if you pay anually and $5 a month if you pay monthly. You will see your username in the top right corner of the page if you are logged in.
09/27/2013 10:58:48 AM
User
Could we create a petition to stop advances to the website to maintain the free abilities we had previously? My athletes were hoping that these fees do not turn college coaches away from looking at their profiles. Then again, I do question if fees will stop coaches from looking at athletes if they are truely interested in that prospect.
Could we create a petition to stop advances to the website to maintain the free abilities we had previously? My athletes were hoping that these fees do not turn college coaches away from looking at their profiles. Then again, I do question if fees will stop coaches from looking at athletes if they are truely interested in that prospect.
09/27/2013 11:25:47 AM
User
@jason Once I'm an Insider will I regain the ability that I previously had to copy and paste meet results? It was a HUGE disappointment when this feature was removed, and has resulted in lot's of lost time manually typing / parsing data. This feature would be on the MUST HAVE list for anyone who crunches data. The virtual meet functionality for future races is nice, but less important than what was actually done on race day and the ability to easily manipulate the data.
@jason

Once I'm an Insider will I regain the ability that I previously had to copy and paste meet results?

It was a HUGE disappointment when this feature was removed, and has resulted in lot's of lost time manually typing / parsing data. This feature would be on the MUST HAVE list for anyone who crunches data. The virtual meet functionality for future races is nice, but less important than what was actually done on race day and the ability to easily manipulate the data.
09/27/2013 11:59:38 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@RUNNNINGx3 The fee will allow you access to certain content. Athlete profiles are free to view. Also, this is not a new fee. It is just new to Georgia. As stated, Florida has had this fee since 2007 and they are still heavily recruited.
@RUNNNINGx3 The fee will allow you access to certain content. Athlete profiles are free to view. Also, this is not a new fee. It is just new to Georgia. As stated, Florida has had this fee since 2007 and they are still heavily recruited.
09/27/2013 1:15:45 PM
User
@tlgcc1 Thanks coach, I appreciate the insight!
@tlgcc1 Thanks coach, I appreciate the insight!
10/02/2013 1:24:53 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Making people pay to have access to "special insider" content is a legitimate ask, and I understand you are running a business with expectations on revenue necessary to keep the lights on. However, forcing high school kids and their parents to pay to look at their OWN profile, feels like an over reaction. I understand you have a business to run, but I'd estimate you will instantly lose 75% of your primary site users with your new "pay to do anything" model. If you don't keep enough people around to entice them with the value of the "insider" content, you might end up with a site with far fewer visters and have a user base of old farts, elite kids and coaches only. I'd ask you to reconsider what you will consider "insider/pay to use" content and what remains "open" content. I'd bet your advertisers wouldn't be happy with a significant reduction in page views and ad clicks either.
Making people pay to have access to "special insider" content is a legitimate ask, and I understand you are running a business with expectations on revenue necessary to keep the lights on. However, forcing high school kids and their parents to pay to look at their OWN profile, feels like an over reaction. I understand you have a business to run, but I'd estimate you will instantly lose 75% of your primary site users with your new "pay to do anything" model. If you don't keep enough people around to entice them with the value of the "insider" content, you might end up with a site with far fewer visters and have a user base of old farts, elite kids and coaches only. I'd ask you to reconsider what you will consider "insider/pay to use" content and what remains "open" content. I'd bet your advertisers wouldn't be happy with a significant reduction in page views and ad clicks either.
10/02/2013 1:56:21 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 It is a balance. The feed on the athlete profiles is still open, as well as personal and season bests. You are just landing on the stats page first. That is a page that has been locked for years now very successfully in states like Virginia. We are implementing the best practices that have worked in other places. In order to expand what we're doing, we need resources. And we need to compel people to support the site and subscribe. We will definitely keep enough open for new users and we may tweak and change things as we go. We're keeping a very close eye on every step of the way. Please don't think we're doing anything without much consideration.
@crossfan2861 It is a balance. The feed on the athlete profiles is still open, as well as personal and season bests. You are just landing on the stats page first. That is a page that has been locked for years now very successfully in states like Virginia. We are implementing the best practices that have worked in other places.

In order to expand what we're doing, we need resources. And we need to compel people to support the site and subscribe. We will definitely keep enough open for new users and we may tweak and change things as we go. We're keeping a very close eye on every step of the way. Please don't think we're doing anything without much consideration.
10/02/2013 1:58:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I am a subscriber, but am just now having a problem getting to look at individual stats. When I select a runner for stats I get a message requesting that I subscribe. [img]http://www.milesplit.com/static/89077/e[/img]
I am a subscriber, but am just now having a problem getting to look at individual stats. When I select a runner for stats I get a message requesting that I subscribe.
10/02/2013 2:02:08 PM
Coach
Same here. I just paid to become a subscriber last week, and now I can't even view all the content. The biggest problem with all of this is that it was never announced. Stuff that we have had access to for free for 5-10 years is now blocked. There should be a splash page or something when you go to GA.Milesplit.com that explains all the changes. My team parents are incredibly frustrated.
Same here. I just paid to become a subscriber last week, and now I can't even view all the content. The biggest problem with all of this is that it was never announced. Stuff that we have had access to for free for 5-10 years is now blocked. There should be a splash page or something when you go to GA.Milesplit.com that explains all the changes. My team parents are incredibly frustrated.
10/02/2013 2:09:15 PM
User
@deadsnail Hey sorry about that. It should be resolved now. I was tweaking a few things and crossed the wires for about 20 minutes there. Let me know if it still gives you any issue.
@deadsnail Hey sorry about that. It should be resolved now. I was tweaking a few things and crossed the wires for about 20 minutes there. Let me know if it still gives you any issue.
10/02/2013 2:36:29 PM
User
Also, disturbing that this happened right after a discussion post to encourage runners and others to use Milesplit, with no mention after changing selected parts to paid subscription only.
Also, disturbing that this happened right after a discussion post to encourage runners and others to use Milesplit, with no mention after changing selected parts to paid subscription only.
10/02/2013 2:37:53 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@jason Like I said before. I get it. You need to make money and I'm glad that Virginia is all fired up about athletes paying to SEE THEIR OWN STATS, but I still would caution you that its not going over very good with your primary consumer.. the young athlete and their parents here in Georgia. I can see if you want to link on another athlete's profile, to snoop into their PBs and race history, having to pay. To me, that feels like an "upgrade" service.. being able to do research on the competition. But asking me to pay to see a nicer window showing MY OWN STATS feels like a reach. I am a FLOCAST paid subscriber, so I understand all that company is trying to do to build up the sport of running in the US and applaud the effort. I'd advise you to QUICKLY, bump up the level and quantity of content offered on this site if you wish to not alienate your core subscriber base so they feel like they are getting something new and special for their money. A few ideas.... 1) add in virtual meet capability for MS races 2) add in a "JV only" feature to the virtual meets that would exclude the top 7 from each race. 3) add an export to excel version of virtual meets so coaches and athletes have way to sort/parse/evaluate results. 4) link your high school FLO video meet coverage over to this site and have a paid MileSplit membership give users access to big high school meet video content. 5) add in high school expert coaching video content and get some of the better US high school coaches to share pearls of wisdom like you do for the college and pros With a value add upgrade, it will be an easier sell to entice people to happily pay your fee. I'd assume that a few of these suggestions might be easy adds that would cost very little in web development to implement and would give you a more compelling case for people to ante up the bucks versus being upset for having to pay for something that used to be free to the user. You have to pay now, BUT... look at all the cool new stuff you will get! Food for thought.
@jason Like I said before. I get it. You need to make money and I'm glad that Virginia is all fired up about athletes paying to SEE THEIR OWN STATS, but I still would caution you that its not going over very good with your primary consumer.. the young athlete and their parents here in Georgia. I can see if you want to link on another athlete's profile, to snoop into their PBs and race history, having to pay. To me, that feels like an "upgrade" service.. being able to do research on the competition. But asking me to pay to see a nicer window showing MY OWN STATS feels like a reach.

I am a FLOCAST paid subscriber, so I understand all that company is trying to do to build up the sport of running in the US and applaud the effort. I'd advise you to QUICKLY, bump up the level and quantity of content offered on this site if you wish to not alienate your core subscriber base so they feel like they are getting something new and special for their money. A few ideas....
1) add in virtual meet capability for MS races
2) add in a "JV only" feature to the virtual meets that would exclude the top 7 from each race.
3) add an export to excel version of virtual meets so coaches and athletes have way to sort/parse/evaluate results.
4) link your high school FLO video meet coverage over to this site and have a paid MileSplit membership give users access to big high school meet video content.
5) add in high school expert coaching video content and get some of the better US high school coaches to share pearls of wisdom like you do for the college and pros

With a value add upgrade, it will be an easier sell to entice people to happily pay your fee. I'd assume that a few of these suggestions might be easy adds that would cost very little in web development to implement and would give you a more compelling case for people to ante up the bucks versus being upset for having to pay for something that used to be free to the user. You have to pay now, BUT... look at all the cool new stuff you will get!

Food for thought.
10/02/2013 2:47:24 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@crossfan2861 Awesome, hey thanks for the feedback. Actually one of our webmasters was throwing out the idea of the "exclude top 7" JV idea just the other day. I think it's a great idea. We are definitely look to step up what we are doing in every way. It won't be overnight, it's going to take some time but that is totally where we are going with it. We want to use the resources to invest back into the site with both on-site coverage type investments (giving Bruce a coverage budget) and also development resources to create new features like you're talking about. Personally I want us to do some more graphing. And do more with the compare athletes and compare meets. That stuff he really cool to me as a state junkie. You are right, the burden is on us to step it up and prove to people that it's worth it. And I look forward to stepping up to that challenge.
@crossfan2861 Awesome, hey thanks for the feedback. Actually one of our webmasters was throwing out the idea of the "exclude top 7" JV idea just the other day. I think it's a great idea.

We are definitely look to step up what we are doing in every way. It won't be overnight, it's going to take some time but that is totally where we are going with it. We want to use the resources to invest back into the site with both on-site coverage type investments (giving Bruce a coverage budget) and also development resources to create new features like you're talking about.

Personally I want us to do some more graphing. And do more with the compare athletes and compare meets. That stuff he really cool to me as a state junkie.

You are right, the burden is on us to step it up and prove to people that it's worth it. And I look forward to stepping up to that challenge.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.