Article Comment: Week 3 Ga.MileSplit Cross Country Rankings and ROW
09/11/2013 5:05:14 AM
User
Sequoyah is spelled with a "h" at the end. Thanks
Sequoyah is spelled with a "h" at the end. Thanks
09/11/2013 5:14:19 AM
Coach
It seems that Heritage, Catoosa was mistakenly omitted from the 4A rankings. Thanks.
It seems that Heritage, Catoosa was mistakenly omitted from the 4A rankings. Thanks.
09/11/2013 6:27:13 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
In All-Class Girls: BOTH Roswell & Milton beat Blessed Trinity (by 81 & 70 pts respectively) at Covered Bridge but neither is ranked All-Class but Blessed Trinity is?
In All-Class Girls:
BOTH Roswell & Milton beat Blessed Trinity (by 81 & 70 pts respectively) at Covered Bridge but neither is ranked All-Class but Blessed Trinity is?
09/11/2013 6:54:08 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Class A Private Girls ROW should have considered Jessica Zalzman of Pinecrest Academy. On a very tough course and against runners from much larger classes and in a much deeper field, she finished 4th overall at Benson Double Dip.
Class A Private Girls ROW should have considered Jessica Zalzman of Pinecrest Academy. On a very tough course and against runners from much larger classes and in a much deeper field, she finished 4th overall at Benson Double Dip.
09/11/2013 7:16:13 AM
User
Rankings are never 100% accurate, some teams are better on hilly coursers or flat courses, and then there is always the questionable factor of course comparisons that goes into them.
Rankings are never 100% accurate, some teams are better on hilly coursers or flat courses, and then there is always the questionable factor of course comparisons that goes into them.
09/11/2013 7:19:52 AM
User
Also, Marist deserves a spot on all class. Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Marist deserve to be the top 3 schools in all class because the ridge, St. Pius, and Mill Creek each haven't had a meet for 2 weeks.
Also, Marist deserves a spot on all class. Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Marist deserve to be the top 3 schools in all class because the ridge, St. Pius, and Mill Creek each haven't had a meet for 2 weeks.
09/11/2013 7:36:58 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@acarr6453 BT is always a difficult one to figure out. Their boys held out at least their #1 runner on saturday. They also didn't run their #1 boy at region last year (who finished top ten at state). Their girls have yet to run their #3 returner from last year (a sub 20 girl). But if you go and look at the results, they're missing 2 of their top 3 at covered bridge and a couple more of their top 7, I'm guessing that they were considered as off this week. Also, are we not going to see Brookwood's girls until county???
@acarr6453

BT is always a difficult one to figure out. Their boys held out at least their #1 runner on saturday. They also didn't run their #1 boy at region last year (who finished top ten at state). Their girls have yet to run their #3 returner from last year (a sub 20 girl). But if you go and look at the results, they're missing 2 of their top 3 at covered bridge and a couple more of their top 7, I'm guessing that they were considered as off this week.

Also, are we not going to see Brookwood's girls until county???
09/11/2013 8:01:56 AM
Coach
[quote=XCFANNUMBER1]Also, Marist deserves a spot on all class. Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Marist deserve to be the top 3 schools in all class because the ridge, St. Pius, and Mill Creek each haven't had a meet for 2 weeks.[/quote] @XCFANNUMBER1 Rankers do the best they can with what they are given. Marist has been without Daniel Navarro and, at least for their first meet, another potential scorer. It's unfair to assume that Marist would win everything with Navarro even though it'd make that task much easier. They have to go off of tangible evidence and not speculation. As for the top 3 all-class... it hasn't been two weeks since they raced. They raced Berry, then took the next Saturday off. That's one week off. Are you saying that any time a team takes a week off, they should get dropped from the rankings? I think head-to-head is the biggest factor. Assuming FB, Woodward, and Marist (as they were on Saturday) would automatically trump Peachtree Ridge, Pius, and Mill Creek isn't what the rankers do. I'm sorry you don't agree with the thankless work that Bruce Taylor and his crew, especially the all-class ones, do.
XCFANNUMBER1 wrote:
lso, Marist deserves a spot on all class. Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Marist deserve to be the top 3 schools in all class because the ridge, St. Pius, and Mill Creek each haven't had a meet for 2 weeks.

@XCFANNUMBER1

Rankers do the best they can with what they are given. Marist has been without Daniel Navarro and, at least for their first meet, another potential scorer. It's unfair to assume that Marist would win everything with Navarro even though it'd make that task much easier. They have to go off of tangible evidence and not speculation.

As for the top 3 all-class... it hasn't been two weeks since they raced. They raced Berry, then took the next Saturday off. That's one week off. Are you saying that any time a team takes a week off, they should get dropped from the rankings? I think head-to-head is the biggest factor. Assuming FB, Woodward, and Marist (as they were on Saturday) would automatically trump Peachtree Ridge, Pius, and Mill Creek isn't what the rankers do. I'm sorry you don't agree with the thankless work that Bruce Taylor and his crew, especially the all-class ones, do.
09/11/2013 8:29:00 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@jwynne I copy and paste what the Rankers send. Could be an oversite, sending to 4A Ranker. Just an FYI, I don't rank or pick ROWs.
@jwynne I copy and paste what the Rankers send. Could be an oversite, sending to 4A Ranker. Just an FYI, I don't rank or pick ROWs.
09/11/2013 8:56:03 AM
User
@Sid_Hoffman Don't let your self get trolled :)
@Sid_Hoffman
Don't let your self get trolled :)
09/11/2013 9:00:43 AM
User
Keep up the good work. You'll never make everyone happy! Everything will sort itself out on the course. The Warpath this Saturday will be a good proving point for many with several top ranked schools from most classes competing on a fast course. Looking forward to your race preview and recap. On a sidenote, Cherokee is 6A and not 5A, a minor oversight.
Keep up the good work. You'll never make everyone happy! Everything will sort itself out on the course. The Warpath this Saturday will be a good proving point for many with several top ranked schools from most classes competing on a fast course. Looking forward to your race preview and recap. On a sidenote, Cherokee is 6A and not 5A, a minor oversight.
09/11/2013 9:01:32 AM
Power User
5A boys has Cherokee, who is a 6A school and on the watchlist for that classification. Good rankings this week!
5A boys has Cherokee, who is a 6A school and on the watchlist for that classification. Good rankings this week!
09/11/2013 9:21:22 AM
User
Thanks for posting these rankings; look forward to seeing them each week. Just throwing in my two cents for the ranking crew: I believe Heritage Catoosa girls deserve some consideration for top 10 in 4A after seeing them run last week.
Thanks for posting these rankings; look forward to seeing them each week. Just throwing in my two cents for the ranking crew: I believe Heritage Catoosa girls deserve some consideration for top 10 in 4A after seeing them run last week.
09/11/2013 10:47:44 AM
User
@Buckwheat191 Many thanks to Bruce and the coaches, et. al. who contribute to the rankings. It always opens the door for some friendly discussion, especially when it comes to All- Class. As I said in an earlier post, all teams must deal with injuries, illness, and attrition over the coarse of a season. At Marist Double Dip, both Marist and Woodward had kids that were either injured or ill. Their performances may not have been reflective of how good they really are. I am absolutely not taking away from Flowery Branch's performance; they were awesome. In my humble opinion, at full strength, I think St Pius, Marist , Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Peachtree Ridge are all hard to keep out of the top 5. It would also be really interesting if we could take the top 3 teams from each class in the State Meet and run them against each other the following week for an All- Class Championship.
@Buckwheat191
Many thanks to Bruce and the coaches, et. al. who contribute to the rankings. It always opens the door for some friendly discussion, especially when it comes to All- Class. As I said in an earlier post, all teams must deal with injuries, illness, and attrition over the coarse of a season. At Marist Double Dip, both Marist and Woodward had kids that were either injured or ill. Their performances may not have been reflective of how good they really are. I am absolutely not taking away from Flowery Branch's performance; they were awesome. In my humble opinion, at full strength, I think St Pius, Marist , Flowery Branch, Woodward, and Peachtree Ridge are all hard to keep out of the top 5. It would also be really interesting if we could take the top 3 teams from each class in the State Meet and run them against each other the following week for an All- Class Championship.
09/11/2013 10:56:11 AM
User
5A Boys' rankings look a little odd. As it's been pointed out, Cherokee isn't even in that classification. Also, Creekview with an 18:10 team average and 19+ 5th man leaps over teams like Greenbrier, Union Grove, Pope, Northview, etc..
5A Boys' rankings look a little odd. As it's been pointed out, Cherokee isn't even in that classification. Also, Creekview with an 18:10 team average and 19+ 5th man leaps over teams like Greenbrier, Union Grove, Pope, Northview, etc..
09/11/2013 11:06:48 AM
Coach
@Gulsby Likely an opinion of course difficulty. Putting teams in the wrong classes is definitely a mistake, but it's tough to compare teams on a weekly basis that don't race each other. As someone pointed out on this board like a week ago, a bunch of 5A teams raced each other at that Nike Panther Invitational. A bunch of top teams raced each other at Berry the first week. Seems pretty simple and cut and dry when they race each other, but I guess it comes to a matter of opinion and trying to compare course difficulties and conditions for the rest.
@Gulsby

Likely an opinion of course difficulty. Putting teams in the wrong classes is definitely a mistake, but it's tough to compare teams on a weekly basis that don't race each other. As someone pointed out on this board like a week ago, a bunch of 5A teams raced each other at that Nike Panther Invitational. A bunch of top teams raced each other at Berry the first week. Seems pretty simple and cut and dry when they race each other, but I guess it comes to a matter of opinion and trying to compare course difficulties and conditions for the rest.
09/11/2013 11:22:29 AM
User
@XCXpert Coach Wood is the unofficial all class meet. Usually the best field of the year for instate bragging rights.
@XCXpert
Coach Wood is the unofficial all class meet. Usually the best field of the year for instate bragging rights.
09/11/2013 2:24:27 PM
User
@Sid_Hoffman Agreed. Just one example of when teams do race each other on the same course that was not taken into account: Creekview team average at Early Bird: 18:20/ Team average @ Rock 18:10 Union Grove team average at Early Bird: 17:48/ Team average @ NIKE 17:39 Maybe the Rock is much more than 30+ seconds slower than NIKE (doubtful)...does that nullify the head to head difference? All of the top 10 teams have raced many of the same meets; either Early Bird and The Rock or Early Bird and NIKE. It's not that difficult to come up with course comparisons with that data.
@Sid_Hoffman

Agreed. Just one example of when teams do race each other on the same course that was not taken into account:

Creekview team average at Early Bird: 18:20/ Team average @ Rock 18:10

Union Grove team average at Early Bird: 17:48/ Team average @ NIKE 17:39

Maybe the Rock is much more than 30+ seconds slower than NIKE (doubtful)...does that nullify the head to head difference?

All of the top 10 teams have raced many of the same meets; either Early Bird and The Rock or Early Bird and NIKE. It's not that difficult to come up with course comparisons with that data.
09/11/2013 2:59:02 PM
User
@Gulsby There is probably confusion because in looking at the Early Bird results, Union Grove appears to have participated in both varsity races (unless there is more than one Union Grove High School). The varsity appears to have raced in varsity race #1 with the average time you indicate. Another squad raced in varsity race #2, and Creekview beat them soundly. Union Grove's "varsity" in varsity race #2 had an average time of 19:37. I would imagine whomever did the rankings for 5A saw those results and ruled Union Grove out of contention.
@Gulsby

There is probably confusion because in looking at the Early Bird results, Union Grove appears to have participated in both varsity races (unless there is more than one Union Grove High School). The varsity appears to have raced in varsity race #1 with the average time you indicate. Another squad raced in varsity race #2, and Creekview beat them soundly. Union Grove's "varsity" in varsity race #2 had an average time of 19:37.

I would imagine whomever did the rankings for 5A saw those results and ruled Union Grove out of contention.
09/11/2013 3:08:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We, as coaches, certainly don't make it easy on the rankers, particularly early in the season. Teams are holding kids out for various reasons, taking weekends off, splitting squads, having athletes race different races with different strategies, etc. It's a tough and thankless job.
We, as coaches, certainly don't make it easy on the rankers, particularly early in the season. Teams are holding kids out for various reasons, taking weekends off, splitting squads, having athletes race different races with different strategies, etc. It's a tough and thankless job.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.