Nxn
11/24/2012 2:33:28 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Am I reading the results right? Did reich miss qualifying by one place? That stinks. Also, is it a mistake for him to be listed as being on the same team as the Norcross guys?
Am I reading the results right? Did reich miss qualifying by one place? That stinks. Also, is it a mistake for him to be listed as being on the same team as the Norcross guys?
11/24/2012 4:17:27 PM
User
I think reich qualified because sixth place and fourth place's teams made it and I think top 6 qualify. Edit: never mind it's top 5
I think reich qualified because sixth place and fourth place's teams made it and I think top 6 qualify.

Edit: never mind it's top 5
11/24/2012 7:35:56 PM
Coach
But if McGorty's team, who I believe was 3rd, gets an at-large bid for Nationals, does that open up a spot for Riech since he'd move up individually? Personally, I think they should get a bid. McGorty's race today at Footlocker was nothing short of magical... if I'm Nike, I want him at my race, too!
But if McGorty's team, who I believe was 3rd, gets an at-large bid for Nationals, does that open up a spot for Riech since he'd move up individually? Personally, I think they should get a bid. McGorty's race today at Footlocker was nothing short of magical... if I'm Nike, I want him at my race, too!
11/24/2012 8:25:30 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Anyone else notice that this Phd team was made up of athlets from at least three different schools? Which goes against the rules set forth for this compitition. Good thing they didn't qualify, because I'm sure somebody would have noticed and made this a much bigger issue. Congrats to thos who ran and ran well, but if you run an NXN event, you must run in a "club" of your school's runners or run unattached.
Anyone else notice that this Phd team was made up of athlets from at least three different schools? Which goes against the rules set forth for this compitition. Good thing they didn't qualify, because I'm sure somebody would have noticed and made this a much bigger issue. Congrats to thos who ran and ran well, but if you run an NXN event, you must run in a "club" of your school's runners or run unattached.
11/24/2012 8:31:47 PM
User
You can't run for your school, and your club can consist of whoever you want.
You can't run for your school, and your club can consist of whoever you want.
11/24/2012 9:07:41 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Incorrect. All runners must attend the same high school. This was not explicitly posted in the entry instructions but here is the explanation from a NXN to a coach: "The teams are intended to be the High School teams - but with club names. All team members MUST attend the same high school. All-star teams are not permitted as this is intended to be a true High School National Championship. Because of National Federation regulations, high school team members would not be allowed to represent their high schools in national post-season competitions (after state meets) which is why these high school teams have "club" names and designations."
Incorrect. All runners must attend the same high school. This was not explicitly posted in the entry instructions but here is the explanation from a NXN to a coach:

"The teams are intended to be the High School teams - but with club names.
All team members MUST attend the same high school. All-star teams are not
permitted as this is intended to be a true High School National
Championship. Because of National Federation regulations, high school team
members would not be allowed to represent their high schools in national
post-season competitions (after state meets) which is why these high school
teams have "club" names and designations."
11/24/2012 9:14:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@goldeneaglexc In regards to McGorty running NXN nationals, I believe the rule is that the participants on the team that run at regionals are also the participants who will run at the national meet. However, Xbc Track Club (Chantilly) only ran 5 runners at regionals, does that create a loophole for McGorty to run NXN nationals if they get the at-large bid?
@goldeneaglexc
In regards to McGorty running NXN nationals, I believe the rule is that
the participants on the team that run at regionals are also the participants who will run at the national meet. However, Xbc Track Club (Chantilly) only ran 5 runners at regionals, does that create a loophole for McGorty to run NXN nationals if they get the at-large bid?
11/24/2012 9:15:37 PM
Power User
@goldeneaglexc that's what I thought. Then why were there GA runners from different high school on the same team?
@goldeneaglexc that's what I thought. Then why were there GA runners from different high school on the same team?
11/24/2012 9:23:34 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
My guess is that because they were not specific in the instructions on the website some teams thought it was ok. On McGorty, I don't know. They will probably have to contact NXN.
My guess is that because they were not specific in the instructions on the website some teams thought it was ok.
On McGorty, I don't know. They will probably have to contact NXN.
11/24/2012 9:54:58 PM
User
@goldeneaglexc Do the high school coaches bring these "clubs" to this event and coach them? I can't think of another sport where, during the school year, coaches are able to coach their athletes at an event outside of competition dates.
@goldeneaglexc
Do the high school coaches bring these "clubs" to this event and coach them? I can't think of another sport where, during the school year, coaches are able to coach their athletes at an event outside of competition dates.
11/25/2012 11:40:50 AM
User
If you have an all-star team made up of runners from different schools, they can't do anything about it. They will have to let your team run. They can't enforce a rule of the runners being on the same BECAUSE there is no rule saying that.
If you have an all-star team made up of runners from different schools, they can't do anything about it. They will have to let your team run. They can't enforce a rule of the runners being on the same BECAUSE there is no rule saying that.
11/25/2012 4:14:52 PM
Power User
@DDHScoach What is the point of an all star team? What does it prove? The top 5 Georgians at great American still lose to cba. Interesting fact: Brookwood has the lowest score of any southeast boys team at nxn with 343 and the second best placing with 18th.
@DDHScoach

What is the point of an all star team? What does it prove? The top 5 Georgians at great American still lose to cba.

Interesting fact: Brookwood has the lowest score of any southeast boys team at nxn with 343 and the second best placing with 18th.
11/25/2012 7:10:40 PM
User
[quote=MaristXCcoach]@DDHScoach What is the point of an all star team? What does it prove? The top 5 Georgians at great American still lose to cba. Interesting fact: Brookwood has the lowest score of any southeast boys team at nxn with 343 and the second best placing with 18th.[/quote] @MaristXCcoach the point is CBA isnt in the southeast region and the kids wanted a shot to go to oregon. If Yoonis would have run the way he did at state and and they ran a little stronger between their 2,3,4 they would have had a legit shot at a top 3 finish
MaristXCcoach wrote:
@DDHScoach

What is the point of an all star team? What does it prove? The top 5 Georgians at great American still lose to cba.

Interesting fact: Brookwood has the lowest score of any southeast boys team at nxn with 343 and the second best placing with 18th.

@MaristXCcoach the point is CBA isnt in the southeast region and the kids wanted a shot to go to oregon. If Yoonis would have run the way he did at state and and they ran a little stronger between their 2,3,4 they would have had a legit shot at a top 3 finish
11/25/2012 7:17:39 PM
Power User
@xcfanatic Once again, what does it prove? An all-star team cannot compete with some of the best high school teams in the country. The event is intended to have the best high schools competing against each other and not all stars. Scamming the system on a technicality in an effort to get a trip to Oregon is unethical at best. Having not spoken with those runners my guess is that they didn't understand the intent of the competition and that they were not willingly and knowingly forming a team contrary to the spirit of the event. The point I was making about Great American is that we all have work to do still. If Georgia's all-stars cannot beat the best high school in the nation we have a problem and as coaches and athletes we need to go back to the drawing boards again. Where is Matthews when we need him?
@xcfanatic

Once again, what does it prove? An all-star team cannot compete with some of the best high school teams in the country. The event is intended to have the best high schools competing against each other and not all stars. Scamming the system on a technicality in an effort to get a trip to Oregon is unethical at best. Having not spoken with those runners my guess is that they didn't understand the intent of the competition and that they were not willingly and knowingly forming a team contrary to the spirit of the event.

The point I was making about Great American is that we all have work to do still. If Georgia's all-stars cannot beat the best high school in the nation we have a problem and as coaches and athletes we need to go back to the drawing boards again. Where is Matthews when we need him?
11/25/2012 7:20:02 PM
User
[quote=Sid_Hoffman]But if McGorty's team, who I believe was 3rd, gets an at-large bid for Nationals, does that open up a spot for Riech since he'd move up individually? Personally, I think they should get a bid. McGorty's race today at Footlocker was nothing short of magical... if I'm Nike, I want him at my race, too![/quote] @Sid_Hoffman
Sid_Hoffman wrote:

@Sid_Hoffman
11/25/2012 7:38:18 PM
User
@MaristXCcoach Matthews is probably still reveling in the victories of his 3 individual state champions at the GHSA state meet. That was prediction last year....I assume it came true???
@MaristXCcoach Matthews is probably still reveling in the victories of his 3 individual state champions at the GHSA state meet. That was prediction last year....I assume it came true???
11/26/2012 6:29:10 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
yeah and if Brickell, Sprague, Thurston, Pleak, and Westog had gotten together and run NXN under a club name and hit their Great American times they would have qualified. You know why they didn't try? Because NXN would have DQ'd them instantly for not being from the same school. Same thing would have happened if this group would have gotten 2nd. When I first saw the results I was confused and thought it was just a mistake in the results. Based on these posts I'm thinking it was intentional and they knew what they were doing. For that I'm so thankful that they were nowhere near 2nd place as it would have been easily noticed by people across the nation who would have really looked down on our state for trying to cheat its way to nationals. They already think the Southeast is a joke the way it is, this would have made things worse. Bottom line is it's against the rules of NXN and I hope the rest of the state remembers that for future years.
yeah and if Brickell, Sprague, Thurston, Pleak, and Westog had gotten together and run NXN under a club name and hit their Great American times they would have qualified. You know why they didn't try? Because NXN would have DQ'd them instantly for not being from the same school. Same thing would have happened if this group would have gotten 2nd. When I first saw the results I was confused and thought it was just a mistake in the results. Based on these posts I'm thinking it was intentional and they knew what they were doing. For that I'm so thankful that they were nowhere near 2nd place as it would have been easily noticed by people across the nation who would have really looked down on our state for trying to cheat its way to nationals. They already think the Southeast is a joke the way it is, this would have made things worse.

Bottom line is it's against the rules of NXN and I hope the rest of the state remembers that for future years.
11/26/2012 7:17:22 AM
User
I can't help but chuckle at the coaches who are getting so upset about the sacredness of NXN when NXN itself is set up to go around NFHS rules. Could it be that there is no written rule about teams being from the same high school because this would be a rule violation? Aren't formal practices for a HS team after the season against the rules? But, I have heard that many coaches set up practices for events like NXN so that they circumvent the rules. Isn't this unethical?
I can't help but chuckle at the coaches who are getting so upset about the sacredness of NXN when NXN itself is set up to go around NFHS rules. Could it be that there is no written rule about teams being from the same high school because this would be a rule violation? Aren't formal practices for a HS team after the season against the rules? But, I have heard that many coaches set up practices for events like NXN so that they circumvent the rules. Isn't this unethical?
11/26/2012 9:32:34 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
If All Star teams are ok, then has it happened repeatedly in other years? If Nike was ok with it, then I would guess it would have happened many times before. I couldn't find anything on the official NXN page saying they weren't allowed, but my understanding was always that they were not. Otherwise, it doesn't truly show who has the best High School team-it would show which state could assemble the best All Star squad. Even if it is "allowed", it does not seem to me to be in the spirit of the race.
If All Star teams are ok, then has it happened repeatedly in other years? If Nike was ok with it, then I would guess it would have happened many times before. I couldn't find anything on the official NXN page saying they weren't allowed, but my understanding was always that they were not. Otherwise, it doesn't truly show who has the best High School team-it would show which state could assemble the best All Star squad.

Even if it is "allowed", it does not seem to me to be in the spirit of the race.
11/26/2012 9:45:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachac I didn't see anything in the rules this year but I know the rule was there in years past. It appears that they left the rule out when they revamped their website. Maybe it's okay now but it seems unlikely. Allowing all-star teams would get away from the idea of finding out who the best team in the nation is.
@coachac

I didn't see anything in the rules this year but I know the rule was there in years past. It appears that they left the rule out when they revamped their website. Maybe it's okay now but it seems unlikely. Allowing all-star teams would get away from the idea of finding out who the best team in the nation is.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.