cold weather - uniform rules
10/30/2012 9:24:24 AM
Power User
Can somebody please post a good clear explanation of cold weather undergarment uniform rules as we head into region meets this week? It's gonna be cold! Our GHSA bylaws have nothing posted so I assume we use NFHS rules for state. Here's what I have, please confirm that these rules are true: 1) Easy one - All uniforms must match, tops and bottoms. 2) Socks have no length or color rules. 3) Beanies and headbands for warmth have no color rules. 4) If Under armor, sliders, spandex, etc... are worn by one member of a team, every other member of that team must match in color Thanks...
Can somebody please post a good clear explanation of cold weather undergarment uniform rules as we head into region meets this week? It's gonna be cold!

Our GHSA bylaws have nothing posted so I assume we use NFHS rules for state. Here's what I have, please confirm that these rules are true:

1) Easy one - All uniforms must match, tops and bottoms.
2) Socks have no length or color rules.
3) Beanies and headbands for warmth have no color rules.
4) If Under armor, sliders, spandex, etc... are worn by one member of a team, every other member of that team must match in color

Thanks...
10/30/2012 10:11:13 AM
Coach
At State 2010, they required our headgear to match. The most important rule is that no kid can be DQ'ed for a uniform violation unless they are first warned. Meaning that the only way they can be DQ'ed is if an official tells them to take something off on the starting line and they don't. Once the race has started it is too late to DQ anyone if they have not been warned.
At State 2010, they required our headgear to match.

The most important rule is that no kid can be DQ'ed for a uniform violation unless they are first warned. Meaning that the only way they can be DQ'ed is if an official tells them to take something off on the starting line and they don't. Once the race has started it is too late to DQ anyone if they have not been warned.
10/30/2012 11:01:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Is there a sleve lenght rule? If one wears long sleves do all that are wearing an undergarment have to have on the same lenght of sleve?
Is there a sleve lenght rule? If one wears long sleves do all that are wearing an undergarment have to have on the same lenght of sleve?
10/30/2012 11:09:44 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
From the GHSA web site: Uniform Reminders for the GHSA State Cross Country Meet By webmaster at Tue, 10/30/2012 - 9:33am Cross Country The weather for Saturday’s State Meet may be colder than runners have experienced this season. Here are a few uniform reminders for your attention: •Any undergarments must be of a single, solid color – if the athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color. •Undergarment top and/or bottom does not have to be the same color. •Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must be of the same color and design. •Undergarments are restricted to one logo per piece of clothing. If two(2) logos are visible, the undergarment becomes illegal. •Gloves are permitted. •Arm sleeves are permitted, if they are of a single, solid color and unadorned. •Beanies, toboggans, ear covers are permitted if of a single color, unadorned (one logo only.) •Socks are not a part of the uniform. •Athletes must wear assigned numbers, unaltered and clearly visible. •All other NFHS/GHSA rules regarding uniforms are applicable in the State Championships. See the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws for clarifications. .
From the GHSA web site:

Uniform Reminders for the GHSA State Cross Country Meet
By webmaster at Tue, 10/30/2012 - 9:33am
Cross Country
The weather for Saturday's State Meet may be colder than runners have experienced this season. Here are a few uniform reminders for your attention:

•Any undergarments must be of a single, solid color -- if the athlete wears more than one (1) layer of undergarments, all must be of the same color.
•Undergarment top and/or bottom does not have to be the same color.
•Each team member shall wear the same color and design of school uniform. If undergarments are worn by two (2) or more team members, all undergarments must be of the same color and design.
•Undergarments are restricted to one logo per piece of clothing. If two(2) logos are visible, the undergarment becomes illegal.
•Gloves are permitted.
•Arm sleeves are permitted, if they are of a single, solid color and unadorned.
•Beanies, toboggans, ear covers are permitted if of a single color, unadorned (one logo only.)
•Socks are not a part of the uniform.
•Athletes must wear assigned numbers, unaltered and clearly visible.
•All other NFHS/GHSA rules regarding uniforms are applicable in the State Championships. See the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws for clarifications.
10/30/2012 11:17:08 AM
User
So let's say a team's colors are green and white. A team parent goes to Dick's Sporting Goods today and buys long-sleeve shirts to wear under the uniform. 5 days before the state meet it is extremely unlikely that there will be 7 of any color and design available anywhere. The parent does the logical thing and buys 5 green and 2 white - or 5 green Under Armour and 2 green Nike. Under either scenario the team is violating the dress code!? Surely no one will call kids for this...
So let's say a team's colors are green and white. A team parent goes to Dick's Sporting Goods today and buys long-sleeve shirts to wear under the uniform. 5 days before the state meet it is extremely unlikely that there will be 7 of any color and design available anywhere. The parent does the logical thing and buys 5 green and 2 white - or 5 green Under Armour and 2 green Nike. Under either scenario the team is violating the dress code!?

Surely no one will call kids for this...
10/30/2012 11:24:45 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator Don't bet on it. Last year I had 6 runners go to the line with black compresion shorts and one with gray. Our shorts are long enough to cover the conpressions so the official had to ask the boys to show them their compressions and then made my gray compressions go take his off before she would clear him to run. He ran the first race of the day with no undergarment so that he would not be DQed. So do not bet on logic ruling hear after all we all know that the color of an undergarment will effct how well our kids run.
@ExcelOrator
Don't bet on it. Last year I had 6 runners go to the line with black compresion shorts and one with gray. Our shorts are long enough to cover the conpressions so the official had to ask the boys to show them their compressions and then made my gray compressions go take his off before she would clear him to run. He ran the first race of the day with no undergarment so that he would not be DQed. So do not bet on logic ruling hear after all we all know that the color of an undergarment will effct how well our kids run.
10/30/2012 11:37:06 AM
User
I wish I could say "Unbelievable!" but instead I will go with "Disappointing."
I wish I could say "Unbelievable!" but instead I will go with "Disappointing."
11/09/2012 8:02:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves are permited...but it doesn't say anything about color/logo rules? Do all gloves on the team have to be one color?
Gloves are permited...but it doesn't say anything about color/logo rules?

Do all gloves on the team have to be one color?
11/09/2012 12:56:56 PM
Power User
AAA won't have to worry about this at 2:30 and 3:15 in the afternoon, 70 degrees and sunny. AAAA might wanna read this: http://www.ghsa.net/uniform-reminders-ghsa-state-cross-country-meet
AAA won't have to worry about this at 2:30 and 3:15 in the afternoon, 70 degrees and sunny.

AAAA might wanna read this:

http://www.ghsa.net/uniform-reminders-ghsa-state-cross-country-meet
11/09/2012 2:48:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator The different color issue is very clearly a violation and I don't think is unbelievable or disappointing as it is clear in the rule. The different brand issue is not likely an issue unless there is significant difference in the coloring. The rule is actually pretty liberal as it allows for different lengths as well as brands, so a green short sleeve and another green long sleeve can both be worn along with a teammate who wears nothing under the jersey. Hats (and headbands) are supposed to be one solid color and I think last year they asked that gloves also be solid. I think the idea is to dissuade, flashy, colorful accessories, with socks being the only real exception. tp
@ExcelOrator The different color issue is very clearly a violation and I don't think is unbelievable or disappointing as it is clear in the rule. The different brand issue is not likely an issue unless there is significant difference in the coloring. The rule is actually pretty liberal as it allows for different lengths as well as brands, so a green short sleeve and another green long sleeve can both be worn along with a teammate who wears nothing under the jersey.

Hats (and headbands) are supposed to be one solid color and I think last year they asked that gloves also be solid. I think the idea is to dissuade, flashy, colorful accessories, with socks being the only real exception.
tp
11/09/2012 3:01:52 PM
User
@tpee Last week I attended a region meet and stood about 10 feet from the start line. Before the start, a race official noticed one team that had 6 guys with no t-shirt under their singlet, and one wearing a solid color t-shirt with no visible logo. He told the one with the t-shirt that he could not run with the shirt. Not wanting to expend the wrong kind of energy right before an important race, the kid chose not to argue and instead took off his t-shirt. I saw and heard this exchange. In that case, and I suspect others, the rules are being enforced in a more strict manner than written. I understand the intent of the rule but I also understand that we aren't in Wisconsin, where it is a certainty that long sleeves will be required at late season meets. The only way to ensure your 7 varsity kids will have the same style and color undergarment in November is to make everyone on the team buy them in August - and that in my opinion seems like an unnecessary expense. Just my opinion.
@tpee

Last week I attended a region meet and stood about 10 feet from the start line. Before the start, a race official noticed one team that had 6 guys with no t-shirt under their singlet, and one wearing a solid color t-shirt with no visible logo. He told the one with the t-shirt that he could not run with the shirt. Not wanting to expend the wrong kind of energy right before an important race, the kid chose not to argue and instead took off his t-shirt. I saw and heard this exchange.

In that case, and I suspect others, the rules are being enforced in a more strict manner than written.

I understand the intent of the rule but I also understand that we aren't in Wisconsin, where it is a certainty that long sleeves will be required at late season meets. The only way to ensure your 7 varsity kids will have the same style and color undergarment in November is to make everyone on the team buy them in August - and that in my opinion seems like an unnecessary expense. Just my opinion.
11/09/2012 3:10:36 PM
User
What is not explicitly stated in the uniform rule is if it applies only to undergarments that are visible or to all undergarments. I think that the official overstepped the bounds when he made the runners raise their shorts to check undergarment color. What's next..making them pull down their shorts to see if they are all wearing the same color briefs...that is, assuming that more than 2 runners are wearing briefs.. I forsee a sock rule coming. At once race, I saw a runner with Superman socks that had capes on them. Definitely, seemed to be dangerous as the capes could get caught in bushes and such.
What is not explicitly stated in the uniform rule is if it applies only to undergarments that are visible or to all undergarments. I think that the official overstepped the bounds when he made the runners raise their shorts to check undergarment color. What's next..making them pull down their shorts to see if they are all wearing the same color briefs...that is, assuming that more than 2 runners are wearing briefs..

I forsee a sock rule coming. At once race, I saw a runner with Superman socks that had capes on them. Definitely, seemed to be dangerous as the capes could get caught in bushes and such.
11/09/2012 3:25:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator From your description one might conclude that the official misapplied the rule although without seeing the shirt, I'll reserve judgement. The presence of the shirt relative the teammates without is not a violation, but the shirt itself might have been in violation (multi-color etc) That rule is actually the NFHS rule that GHSA has adopted. I am not saying that the GHSA officials have never misapplied the rules, even at the State Meet but our best defense of these issues is to not let these rules slide throughout the year only to be confronted with them at a crucial point. In the Area 4 Class A, as I did the uniform checks, I had a girl decide not to run rather than remove an earring. Not sure I'd have been happy if I were her coach. She probably had not encountered that all season, which is unfortunate. tp
@ExcelOrator From your description one might conclude that the official misapplied the rule although without seeing the shirt, I'll reserve judgement. The presence of the shirt relative the teammates without is not a violation, but the shirt itself might have been in violation (multi-color etc) That rule is actually the NFHS rule that GHSA has adopted.

I am not saying that the GHSA officials have never misapplied the rules, even at the State Meet but our best defense of these issues is to not let these rules slide throughout the year only to be confronted with them at a crucial point. In the Area 4 Class A, as I did the uniform checks, I had a girl decide not to run rather than remove an earring. Not sure I'd have been happy if I were her coach. She probably had not encountered that all season, which is unfortunate.
tp
11/09/2012 3:32:23 PM
Coach
could be worse. probably will get worse
could be worse. probably will get worse
11/09/2012 4:03:22 PM
User
[quote=Bobcat79] At once race, I saw a runner with Superman socks that had capes on them. Definitely, seemed to be dangerous as the capes could get caught in bushes and such.[/quote] @Bobcat79 The following weekend I understand that one of his rivals ran in socks made of kyrptonite.
Bobcat79 wrote:

At once race, I saw a runner with Superman socks that had capes on them. Definitely, seemed to be dangerous as the capes could get caught in bushes and such.

@Bobcat79 The following weekend I understand that one of his rivals ran in socks made of kyrptonite.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.