Warpath and Rankings
09/16/2012 9:03:47 AM
Power User
A couple of questions to coaches whose teams ran in Canton yesterday...asked only in the context of trying to do this week's rankings: 1) Does it look like the times are correct for your athletes that are listed? 2) Do the team scoring results appear correct? i.e., are there any missing runners in scoring positions? PM me here or send an e-mail to rlbhly@bellsouth.net with any feedback.
A couple of questions to coaches whose teams ran in Canton yesterday...asked only in the context of trying to do this week's rankings:

1) Does it look like the times are correct for your athletes that are listed?

2) Do the team scoring results appear correct? i.e., are there any missing runners in scoring positions?

PM me here or send an e-mail to rlbhly@bellsouth.net with any feedback.
09/16/2012 10:37:02 AM
Coach
I'm not sure that all of the places are correct, but based on what is listed in the results it appears that Milton may have edge us (North Hall) for first. I think I'm pretty sure that all of those 5A and 6A schools that enetered 10 JV runners and many more open runners probably had at least 7 runners in their varsity races and not less than 5 as the results show. It's a shame that such a good and competetive race is over and no one is sure who exactly won. All I can say for sure is that the Milton boys (and girls for that matter)ran a great race and should be congratulated. I am exteremly proud of the way my kids ran as well regardless of whether we won or placed second.
I'm not sure that all of the places are correct, but based on what is listed in the results it appears that Milton may have edge us (North Hall) for first. I think I'm pretty sure that all of those 5A and 6A schools that enetered 10 JV runners and many more open runners probably had at least 7 runners in their varsity races and not less than 5 as the results show. It's a shame that such a good and competetive race is over and no one is sure who exactly won. All I can say for sure is that the Milton boys (and girls for that matter)ran a great race and should be congratulated. I am exteremly proud of the way my kids ran as well regardless of whether we won or placed second.
09/16/2012 11:39:54 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Pre1962 1. For the varsity boys and girls the Milton kids names and times are NOW correct on what is posted. 2. Team scores missing from Woodstock, Galloway, Centennial, Roswell just to name a few in Varsity Boys and will thus change the entire score of the meet and the top-3 overall places. Varsity girls looks correct to me. 3. I know the timing company does a yeoman's job and worked thru the night to get results reconstructed from video and coaches times/places submitted to them...yes mistakes happen but backup systems need to be in place just in case (we already plan for that at our home meets). 4. If awards need to be exchanged what is the process or will the school/host/Cherokee send out replacement awards? 5. As far as rankings are concerned the varsity girls results look spot-on so they can be used for rankings and for individual times. For the boys more needs to be sorted out...it was a great and close race for the varsity boys with 3 teams battling it out until the final straight-away and until ALL the boys team scores are adjusted/included then the rankings should be delayed. 6. Great competition still produces many fast times as I noticed more than half of my team improved on their times from Early-Bird including a top-10 all-time school performance by one.
@Pre1962

1. For the varsity boys and girls the Milton kids names and times are NOW correct on what is posted.
2. Team scores missing from Woodstock, Galloway, Centennial, Roswell just to name a few in Varsity Boys and will thus change the entire score of the meet and the top-3 overall places. Varsity girls looks correct to me.
3. I know the timing company does a yeoman's job and worked thru the night to get results reconstructed from video and coaches times/places submitted to them...yes mistakes happen but backup systems need to be in place just in case (we already plan for that at our home meets).
4. If awards need to be exchanged what is the process or will the school/host/Cherokee send out replacement awards?
5. As far as rankings are concerned the varsity girls results look spot-on so they can be used for rankings and for individual times. For the boys more needs to be sorted out...it was a great and close race for the varsity boys with 3 teams battling it out until the final straight-away and until ALL the boys team scores are adjusted/included then the rankings should be delayed.
6. Great competition still produces many fast times as I noticed more than half of my team improved on their times from Early-Bird including a top-10 all-time school performance by one.
09/16/2012 11:49:06 AM
User
As an admittedly not well-informed parent, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the process of timing. In my observations over the past 2 years, I have seen many missing and incorrect times and I simply don't understand it. If the kids get a timing chip, what can the issue possibly be other than occasionally the wrong chip given to the wrong runner? I simply don't understand how, for instance, a team can have 10 runners in a race and only 5 results. They all have chips???
As an admittedly not well-informed parent, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the process of timing. In my observations over the past 2 years, I have seen many missing and incorrect times and I simply don't understand it. If the kids get a timing chip, what can the issue possibly be other than occasionally the wrong chip given to the wrong runner? I simply don't understand how, for instance, a team can have 10 runners in a race and only 5 results. They all have chips???
09/16/2012 12:17:38 PM
User
[quote=tab949663]As an admittedly not well-informed parent, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the process of timing. In my observations over the past 2 years, I have seen many missing and incorrect times and I simply don't understand it. If the kids get a timing chip, what can the issue possibly be other than occasionally the wrong chip given to the wrong runner? I simply don't understand how, for instance, a team can have 10 runners in a race and only 5 results. They all have chips???[/quote] @tab949663 This thread [url=http://ga.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/101462]HERE[/url] after Berry last week will give you a good primer on race timing. The Berry issues are obviously small potatoes compared to Warpath......
ab949663 wrote:

@tab949663

This thread HERE after Berry last week will give you a good primer on race timing. The Berry issues are obviously small potatoes compared to Warpath......
09/16/2012 2:08:29 PM
User
It appears that the primer was given by a member of the timing company that had so many problems at Warpath...
It appears that the primer was given by a member of the timing company that had so many problems at Warpath...
09/16/2012 2:12:33 PM
User
@ExcelOrator ExcelOrator and Marist are the posters of the week in my opinion! Between timing and course planning, those who are hosting meets in this state leave a lot to be desired.
@ExcelOrator

ExcelOrator and Marist are the posters of the week in my opinion!

Between timing and course planning, those who are hosting meets in this state leave a lot to be desired.
09/16/2012 2:27:33 PM
Coach
From an above post about the Varsity Girls Results being spot on right - they still are not right. Hopefully someone will figure them out soon though. I'm glad we always have someone at the finish line getting times for all of our kids. So even if overall results are wrong we know what our kids run at each race.
From an above post about the Varsity Girls Results being spot on right - they still are not right. Hopefully someone will figure them out soon though. I'm glad we always have someone at the finish line getting times for all of our kids. So even if overall results are wrong we know what our kids run at each race.
09/16/2012 3:12:20 PM
User
[quote=friendofthedevil]tab949663As an admittedly not well-informed parent, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the process of timing. In my observations over the past 2 years, I have seen many missing and incorrect times and I simply don't understand it. If the kids get a timing chip, what can the issue possibly be other than occasionally the wrong chip given to the wrong runner? I simply don't understand how, for instance, a team can have 10 runners in a race and only 5 results. They all have chips??? @tab949663 This thread HERE after Berry last week will give you a good primer on race timing. The Berry issues are obviously small potatoes compared to Warpath......[/quote] @friendofthedevil The thread explains how it is supposed to work theoretically but unfortunately it didn't seem to work that way in reality. Again, the primer says each runner's time is taken from the chip as they cross the finish line, so how do you explain "missing" runners? 10 kids ran our JV race and there are 5 times...with the wrong kids' names attached to them. I must be obtuse because I am just not getting it.
friendofthedevil wrote:
ab949663As an admittedly not well-informed parent, I am wondering if someone can explain to me the process of timing. In my observations over the past 2 years, I have seen many missing and incorrect times and I simply don't understand it. If the kids get a timing chip, what can the issue possibly be other than occasionally the wrong chip given to the wrong runner? I simply don't understand how, for instance, a team can have 10 runners in a race and only 5 results. They all have chips???

@tab949663

This thread HERE after Berry last week will give you a good primer on race timing. The Berry issues are obviously small potatoes compared to Warpath......

@friendofthedevil

The thread explains how it is supposed to work theoretically but unfortunately it didn't seem to work that way in reality. Again, the primer says each runner's time is taken from the chip as they cross the finish line, so how do you explain "missing" runners? 10 kids ran our JV race and there are 5 times...with the wrong kids' names attached to them. I must be obtuse because I am just not getting it.
09/16/2012 3:35:00 PM
User
@tab949663 Defective chips could explain 5 times for 10 kids......wrong names, not sure on that one.
@tab949663 Defective chips could explain 5 times for 10 kids......wrong names, not sure on that one.
09/16/2012 6:06:22 PM
User
Looking at the varsity boys' results there are zero finishers between 17:40 and 18:04 and again between 18:10 and 18:32. Obviously with a race this size that did not happen, so this does not seem to be a case of defective chips (as it seems to be a remarkable coincidence that all the defective chips crossed the line in a narrow window.) It is not out of the question for there to be a power hiccup in the middle of a field with a few thousand people milling around. Hopefully as the Milton coach suggested there was a backup system in place such as a finish line camera to fill in the blanks.
Looking at the varsity boys' results there are zero finishers between 17:40 and 18:04 and again between 18:10 and 18:32. Obviously with a race this size that did not happen, so this does not seem to be a case of defective chips (as it seems to be a remarkable coincidence that all the defective chips crossed the line in a narrow window.)

It is not out of the question for there to be a power hiccup in the middle of a field with a few thousand people milling around. Hopefully as the Milton coach suggested there was a backup system in place such as a finish line camera to fill in the blanks.
09/16/2012 6:40:46 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@ExcelOrator Coaches- Send your team results (order of finish by names and times and their assigned bib number-I did this right after the meet!) and times to the PT Group so they can piece together the results of your missing runners. I did that and all my varsity kids are accounted for and in...maybe a few place errors but my top varsity runners are in the right order and times are accurate/close. The more info they (PT Group) have the better they can do in getting the results correct and determining what team actually won the boys varsity race.
@ExcelOrator
Coaches-
Send your team results (order of finish by names and times and their assigned bib number-I did this right after the meet!) and times to the PT Group so they can piece together the results of your missing runners. I did that and all my varsity kids are accounted for and in...maybe a few place errors but my top varsity runners are in the right order and times are accurate/close. The more info they (PT Group) have the better they can do in getting the results correct and determining what team actually won the boys varsity race.
09/18/2012 7:23:36 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@drogers THX for the supportive and nice post and response. I concur that adding all the runners in the Boys Varsity in the top-60 finishers (and that is before any of the time glitches and miissing runners) and taking into account all runners scored for teams and had complete teams of at least 5 or 7 the boys scores are as follows: 1. Milton-5,14,17,20,29 (37,39)=89 2. North Hall-3,6,14,17,51 (52,53)=91 3. Walton-1,20,26,56-103 and still have one more finisher
@drogers
THX for the supportive and nice post and response.
I concur that adding all the runners in the Boys Varsity in the top-60 finishers (and that is before any of the time glitches and miissing runners) and taking into account all runners scored for teams and had complete teams of at least 5 or 7 the boys scores are as follows:
1. Milton-5,14,17,20,29 (37,39)=89
2. North Hall-3,6,14,17,51 (52,53)=91
3. Walton-1,20,26,56-103 and still have one more finisher
09/18/2012 10:41:40 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Will the following Teams coaches send their varsity boys info to PT so the results can be put back together: Centennial Woodstock Kell Roswell South Forsyth Sprayberry Woodland The last upodate is better but the above teams have no team score and multiple runners listed in the results now and I am sure they all finished at least 5 runners in the varsity boys race!!
Will the following Teams coaches send their varsity boys info to PT so the results can be put back together:
Centennial
Woodstock
Kell
Roswell
South Forsyth
Sprayberry
Woodland
The last upodate is better but the above teams have no team score and multiple runners listed in the results now and I am sure they all finished at least 5 runners in the varsity boys race!!
09/18/2012 11:25:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I do know that my number two runner is missing from the results and that my three runners time is off by about 40 seconds. It would not make a huge difference in the standings but I can send our results in if that helps. Despite the timing challenges I thought it was a very well run meet and it was a good confidence builder for our kids. Not that you asked but I would suggest that in the future that there be a drop off area for the team buses. It was a very long walk from the high school to the course and this was made all the more challenging by having to carry coolers and a team tent. Otherwise it was a great meet. Tom
I do know that my number two runner is missing from the results and that my three runners time is off by about 40 seconds. It would not make a huge difference in the standings but I can send our results in if that helps.
Despite the timing challenges I thought it was a very well run meet and it was a good confidence builder for our kids. Not that you asked but I would suggest that in the future that there be a drop off area for the team buses. It was a very long walk from the high school to the course and this was made all the more challenging by having to carry coolers and a team tent.
Otherwise it was a great meet.

Tom

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.