Syracuse NY - Well, here we go folks, its the Outdoor State Champs. While a select few may continue on to the New Balance Outdoor Nationals or the Junior Nationals next weekend, the New York State Championships is the culminating event of the season for a majority of the athletes; and for seniors, it may very well be the culmination of four years grueling training, wire-to-wire racing, and overall deep competition here in New York. Pitting the best against the best, all sections have converged on Cicero-North Syracuse in upsate New York. The track is worn with many a great running clash, as Section 3 is home to some of the Nations standouts. Two of them, Nick Ryan and Zavon Watkins, will be looking to take home the gold on day 1, with the 800 and 3200 meter championships being the only final of the day. Then, on Saturday, all qualifying athletes from Friday return for the federation finals, where New York's Fastest and Furthest will be decided.
Be sure to catch all the action live, right here on MileSplit NY. We have linked to Pat Leone's live results, where full meet results will be uploaded as soon as your favorite athlete crosses the finish line. We will also be providing live updates of the meet all day through our twitter account. No need to refresh the page, as the updates will keep on streaming in below. And remember our "Athlete Shout-out" function. So if you mention @MileSplitNY , your message will be available for all to see. Cheer on your favorites, thank your coaches, and experience the meet live. Also be sure to check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/milesplitny for our exclusive content.
If you missed any of our pre-meet coverage, including our previews of both the boys and girls competition, you need to look no further. Our boys meet preview can be found here, and our girls meet preview can be found here. Good luck to all competitors, and enjoy the meet.
Also, be sure to stay tuned, as next week, MileSplit will have a press release with some major news, that looks to reinforce MileSplit as your one-stop platform for everything Track and Field. Its something we have been excited about for a while, and we are finally ready to release the news!
Day 1 Highlights
- Kadecia Baird (Medgar Evers) stormed the track to a state leading meet record in the 100m prelims, with a strong 11.63. Whether she will be able to repeat on the wet track on Saturday is yet to be seen, but her 23.81 in the 200m prelims impressed as well
- Kelsey Margey (Friends Academy) became the first overall state champion of the day, winning the girls 800m Championship in 2:09.86, splitting about a 64.
- Zavon Watkins (Liverpool) followed up with a win in the 800m boys Championship in 1:51.21, after strong pushes from several athletes.
- Lizzie Predmore (Shenendehowa) has overcome a lot of injury and illness this season, and it seemed to pay off after she won the 3000m Championship in a strong 9:54.92
- Nick Ryan (Fayetteville-Manlius) lead a slow first split of about 4:40 for the first mile, but kicked it up a notch with a win of 9:03.81, after huge negative split of 4:26.
- Alexis Bartholomew (Binghamton) defied the wind to win the Girls Pole Vault Championship in 12' 0"
- Greg Gallagher (Iona Prep) was the last athlete of the day to be still competing, but it paid off after his 16-foot jump secured his win in the boy Pole Vault Championship.
Friday Track Schedule
Friday Field Schedule
Girls 100 Meter Hurdles Division 2 Prelims
Boys 110 Meter Hurdles Division 2 Prelims
Girls Triple Jump Division 1
Girls Triple Jump Division 2
Girls Pole Vault Championship
Boys Discus Throw Division 1
Boys Discus Throw Division 2
Girls Shot Put Division 1
Girls Shot Put Division 2
Boys Triple Jump Division 1
Boys Triple Jump Division 2
Girls Discus Throw Division 1
Girls Discus Throw Division 2
Boys Pole Vault Championship
Girls Long Jump Division 1
Girls Long Jump Division 2
Boys Long Jump Division 1
Boys Long Jump Division 2
Saturday Track Schedule
Saturday Field Schedule
Girls 2000 Meter Steeplechase Champ.
Girls 100 Meter Hurdles Championship
Boys Shot Put Division 1
Boys Shot Put Division 2
Boys High Jump Championship
Girls High Jump Championship
Girls Long Jump Championship
Boys Long Jump Championship
Girls Discus Throw Championship
Boys Discus Throw Championship
Girls Shot Put Championship
Boys Shot Put Championship
Girls Triple Jump Championship
Boys Triple Jump Championship