Staten Island, NY - It's been about two weeks now since the Indoor State Meet, and our minds are still on that Girls 1000m final. It was arguably the most competitive race of the day, and maybe the season, bringing about a new State Meet Record, a New National Leading Time for 2018, and personal bests almost across the board.
Your winner was Lily Flynn (Ursuline). Flynn is the younger sister to Anna Flynn (Class of 2016), and twin sister to Sarah Flynn. Lily plays soccer in the Fall, then competes in Track during the Winter and Spring. One week after States, Flynn took on New Balance Nationals, opening her weekend with a 4:46.99 anchor leg in the DMR. Next, she would run the anchor in the 4xMile, bringing them to 5th at 20:75.00, Then, on Day 3, running individually, she came through with a Personal Best in the Open Mile, taking 5th in National Final at 4:48.26.
In addition to her new best in the mile, she also has run a 2:12.03 split in the 4x800m at the Section 1 State Qualifier, proving she is strong over any middle distance. But it was still that 1000m run at States that impressed most, after finishing second the year before, running 2:50.72 as a sophomore.
To find out why the race was so impressive, let's look at the numbers.
Placing: All Stats Relative To Entire Country, Unless Otherwise Noted
- NY #2 All-Time Performer - Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- NY #3 All-Time Performer - Katherine Lee (Shoreham-Wading River)
- US #6 All-Time Performer - Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- US #8 All-Time Performer - Katherine Lee (Shoreham-Wading River)
- 10th Fastest Performance by HS Athlete - Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- 12th Fastest Performance by Athlete in HS - add in Pro's Mary Cain (Unattached) (2:35.78)
Alexa Efraimson (Unattached, WA) (2:41.23)
- 2:45.83 - Fastest Ever Mark For 1st Place at NY State Meet by Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- 2:45.83 - Fastest Mark Ever Run In March In HS Only Race by Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- 2:45.83 - Fastest Mark Ever Run By Catholic School Athlete by Lily Flynn (Ursuline)
- 2:45.83 - Third Fastest Mark Ever Run By Athlete In Junior Class by Lily Flynn (Ursuline), behind Sammy Watson (Rush-Henreitta), Kate Murphy (Lake Braddock, VA)
- 2:46.91 - Fastest Ever Mark for 2nd Place by Katherine Lee (Shoreham-Wading River), bettering the 2:47.61 set by Sarah Edwards (Bellingham, MA), @ Mass. State Meet, 2016
- 2:50.60 - 2nd Fastest Ever Mark For 4th for Sarah Trainor (FDR), behind Kelsey Margey (Friends Academy), @ 2:49.98, Armory Track Invitational, 2015
- 2:51.29 - 2nd Fastest Ever Mark For 5th of Phoebe White (FM), behind Gabrielle Wilkinson (Friends' Central, PA) @ 2:51.21, Armory Track Invitational, 2015
- 17 - Most girls under 3mins in a single race, by a single State, better last year's mark of 16.
- 2:54.53 - Fastest ever mark by athlete in Heat 2 of 3 Heat Final of 1000m at NY State Meet - Anna Rybczynski (West Seneca West)
- 2:59.79 - Second Fastest ever mark by athlete in Heat 1 of 3-Heat-Final of 1000m at NY State Meet - Sinead Sargeant (Fairport). Fastest was last year by Maureen Lewin (Kellenberg) at 2:58.66
- Most Girls under 3mins in single race by any State.
- 2:12.75 - The opening 800m split for winner Lily Flynn (Ursuline), faster than any individual in the 4x800m Relay.
- 2:13.12 - The opening 800m split for Sarah Trainor, faster than any individual in 4x800m.
- 2:13.22 - The opening 800m split for Katherine Lee, faster than any individual in 4x800m.
- 2:14.90 - The closing 800m split for winner Lily Flynn, would have been the 3rd fastest split of 4x800m.
- 33.07 - Final Lap for winner Lily Flynn, would have been third fastest closing lap for 600m.
- 30.47 - Opening Split for Sarah Trainor, faster than any second or third lap for 600m.
Full Results - 2018 Indoor NY State Meet
|1||Lily Flynn||11||Ursuline School||2:45.83||3|
|2||Katherine Lee||12||Shoreham-Wading River||2:46.91||3|
|3||Maureen Lewin||11||Kellenberg Memorial||2:50.05||3|
|5||Phoebe White||10||Fayetteville-Manlius (FM)||2:51.29||3|
|7||Haley Riorden||11||Rush Henrietta Sperry||2:54.10||3|
|8||Anna Rybczynski||11||West Seneca West||2:54.53||2|
|9||Rory Graham||11||Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake||2:55.69||2|
|10||Kaitlyn Chandrika||9||Mt. Sinai||2:56.01||3|
|11||Nora Bennett||12||Kellenberg Memorial||2:57.16||2|
|12||Hali Ielfield||12||South Lewis||2:57.46||2|
|13||Keiana Mitchell||12||Notre Dame Academy||2:57.58||2|
|14||Olivia Morganti||10||CBA Syracuse||2:59.36||2|
|15||Gabrielle Schneider||11||Smithtown East||2:59.56||2|
|16||Molly McLaughlin||12||Holland/East Aurora||2:59.62||3|
|21||Lucy Hurt||12||Paul D. Schrieber / Port Washington||3:01.63||2|
|22||Alyssa Walker||10||Elmira Notre Dame||3:01.87||1|
|23||Lauryn Heskin||9||Marymount School||3:02.70||2|
|24||Ali Astrachan||11||Ethical Culture Fieldston School||3:03.80||1|
|25||Katerina Salcedo||12||Binghamton HS||3:03.97||1|
|26||Emily Moehringer||9||Wellington C. Mepham||3:08.02||2|